PDA

View Full Version : replacing skylight

rode2nowhere
07-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Skylight over shower has 3 cracks, I am guessing amazon is place to get a new one. Do you put butyl tape under it? I know self leveling sealer goes on top but wanted to make sure I get what goes under it??

chuckster57
07-09-2017, 08:41 AM
We use butyl tape underneath the edge. Double layer of protection against moisture intrusion. Sky lights come in different sizes and shapes so make sure your getting the right one.

rode2nowhere
07-09-2017, 08:44 AM
so just a strip of butyl underneath and dicor on top? ok thanks....

chuckster57
07-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Yes, That's how we do it.

JRTJH
07-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Additionally, (and I know this is being "compulsive") but drill your screwholes in the new skylight. Granted, they are made of plastic and "shouldn't" crack under the stress of a screw being put through the flange, but I've seen more than one that developed a crack from a screwhole that ran up into the part that isn't coated with DICOR.

So, if you use a drill, make pilot holes in the plastic flange and then install it, you'll eliminate that potential. It's frustrating to install a new skylight, tow to a "sunbaked area" and then when you get home, during the first rain, you realize that there is fog between the two skylight layers.....

rode2nowhere
07-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Additionally, (and I know this is being "compulsive") but drill your screwholes in the new skylight. Granted, they are made of plastic and "shouldn't" crack under the stress of a screw being put through the flange, but I've seen more than one that developed a crack from a screwhole that ran up into the part that isn't coated with DICOR.

So, if you use a drill, make pilot holes in the plastic flange and then install it, you'll eliminate that potential. It's frustrating to install a new skylight, tow to a "sunbaked area" and then when you get home, during the first rain, you realize that there is fog between the two skylight layers.....

Actually mine is cracked in the screw holes, I saw where forest river had a recall for that but oh well, and the replacements I saw on amazon were pre drilled