PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Country Road Trip

theallde
07-07-2017, 08:17 PM
We have 9,500 miles on our 2015 TT so we enjoy our road trips.

Thinking about a Cross Country Road Trip next year (2018) from Utah to the East Coast, north up the East Coast and west across the Great Lakes and then back to Utah. We're retired, so I'm looking at a 3-4 month trip starting in May.

My biggest concern is getting into a Hail Storm and damage to the TT. Knowing the repair lead time of 2-3 weeks would be disastrous.

Welcome comments from others who have had hail damage while traveling cross country or on a road trip a great distance from home.

I've searched all the forums for hail damage but those posts were from when the RV was in storage or parked by the owners house.

Thanks ..... Don

NOTE: We have hail here in Southern Utah but never larger than 3/16".

Harleydodge
07-08-2017, 03:43 AM
Sounds like an amazing trip. I am envious!
My personnel thoughts would be that you can control many factors of your trip, but weather isn't one of them. Keep an eye on the radar if storms are immanent, and seek the shelter of an overpass if you fear the worst.
To me, Hail damage would be the least of my concerns. If it were to happen, cross that bridge when you get to it. If you have to delay or cut short your trip because of it, then so be it. As stated, pretty much out of your control.
Pack up, prepare as best you can, and enjoy the trip.

As a side note, on your swing back West, be sure to plan a stay in the Finger Lakes region of Northern N.Y.
We just got back and I highly recommend it for the scenery. Beautiful area with plenty to see and do.
It's a short poke south off I90.

notanlines
07-08-2017, 03:56 AM
In your case, I believe Shakespeare had it on the money with "Much ado about nothing." There are many things with which you should be concerned when undertaking a 3-4 month trip. Hail is not on that list. I would follow Harley's advice and simply enjoy the trip. And don't forget the part about the finger lakes region.

bsmith0404
07-08-2017, 04:11 AM
Hail could definitely put a damper on a trip, but it is what it is. If it were to happen your insurance will be the key. If they take forever to get an adjuster to work the claim you could end up at the end of long list of people getting repairs. If they get it moving quickly, you could get it in for repairs quickly. Then the question will be how long are you willing to wait. There is a big difference between a quick repair to get you back on the road and a complete repair that takes care of all of the cosmetic damage as well. Would your insurance allow you to split the two different repairs between 2 different shops and a month or two later or will they expect all repairs to be completed at one time by one facility?

The last RV we had destroyed by hail was literally just that, destroyed. Windows busted out, water damage inside, every exterior light busted, (not just busted lenses, actually knocked off the 5er), the AC destroyed, the roof shot. There was no living in it the way it was and the repairs would have taken several weeks if they had been completed, but the insurance decided it wasn't worth it and totaled it. They only go to 80% of value and the damages were over $15k on a 5er valued at $17k.

theallde
07-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Based on your feedback, I feel better about planning and traveling the road trip.

Thanks again ...... Don

sourdough
07-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I agree with everything said except: parking under the bridge, especially with a big rig.

I chose to do that one time. We were in a brand new vehicle and hit a storm with fairly large hail. What was hitting us wasn't damaging the vehicle at that point but it appeared to be getting worse and worse. We were on an interstate and you couldn't see anything. We came to an overpass and there were a couple cars under it. We pulled out of the driving lanes and tried to take cover. What happened after that was unbelievable.

Cars just started diving into any spot they could find. They were up on the sloping concrete edge, the mud gulley etc. THEN they started parking in the right driving lane! Now some nuts were driving through there at 60-70mph and unable to see and these folks were turning on flashers and parking in the lanes! I told my wife "I'm outta here" and got out of there. Although I was at the front position where I was at, a truck coming through at 60mph plowing into someone behind or beside me would have taken us out. I don't know what you would do if you were someone "in the middle". We made it without damage and I never park under bridges any longer.

Harleydodge
07-08-2017, 04:24 PM
I agree with everything said except: parking under the bridge, especially with a big rig.

I chose to do that one time. We were in a brand new vehicle and hit a storm with fairly large hail. What was hitting us wasn't damaging the vehicle at that point but it appeared to be getting worse and worse. We were on an interstate and you couldn't see anything. We came to an overpass and there were a couple cars under it. We pulled out of the driving lanes and tried to take cover. What happened after that was unbelievable.

Cars just started diving into any spot they could find. They were up on the sloping concrete edge, the mud gulley etc. THEN they started parking in the right driving lane! Now some nuts were driving through there at 60-70mph and unable to see and these folks were turning on flashers and parking in the lanes! I told my wife "I'm outta here" and got out of there. Although I was at the front position where I was at, a truck coming through at 60mph plowing into someone behind or beside me would have taken us out. I don't know what you would do if you were someone "in the middle". We made it without damage and I never park under bridges any longer.

Good point. I have (thankfully ) never been in that position and hope never to be.

theallde
07-08-2017, 04:52 PM
sourdough: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind - point very well taken. Don

Desert185
07-11-2017, 03:19 PM
We have 9,500 miles on our 2015 TT so we enjoy our road trips.

Thinking about a Cross Country Road Trip next year (2018) from Utah to the East Coast, north up the East Coast and west across the Great Lakes and then back to Utah. We're retired, so I'm looking at a 3-4 month trip starting in May.

My biggest concern is getting into a Hail Storm and damage to the TT. Knowing the repair lead time of 2-3 weeks would be disastrous.

Welcome comments from others who have had hail damage while traveling cross country or on a road trip a great distance from home.

I've searched all the forums for hail damage but those posts were from when the RV was in storage or parked by the owners house.

Thanks ..... Don

NOTE: We have hail here in Southern Utah but never larger than 3/16".

Don't use the toilet or shower. The trailer will be worth more so when the insurance company totals it after the hail damage, you'll get more money. :thumbsup: :lol:

ctbruce
07-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Don't use the toilet or shower. The trailer will be worth more so when the insurance company totals it after the hail damage, you'll get more money. [emoji106] [emoji38]
That toilet post is getting lots of milage. That's three different threads I count that it's cropped up in. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

theallde
07-11-2017, 05:10 PM
My saying is "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all" (William Bell - song writer & singer).

To be continued or "it always flows down hill" .... Don

notanlines
07-12-2017, 03:39 AM
I'm afraid we may have to send Manny to his room for a period of time out if this continues.....

cardinal96ss
07-12-2017, 06:03 AM
This could be a fantastic adventure. I hope you enjoy it without worrying about hail. All one can do about the weather is to be aware and take precautions if one can. Short story follows-
We drove from Nebraska to Mississippi a few years ago over Christmas vacation to pick up our "new to us" 5-er. On the way home just outside St. Louis we encountered a tremendous storm with rain so heavy we were barely able to see an exit and get off the freeway. We sat the storm out for about an hour in a shopping center parking lot. Once back on the road we saw the effects of the sever storm which turned out to be a tornado in St Louis in December. A lot of destruction. Had we not found the exit and stopped we would have been right in the middle of it.
We now drive with an eye to the sky. Suggest you do the same and have fun.

theallde
07-12-2017, 01:53 PM
cardinal96ss: Good advice and thank you. We plan on purchasing a Weather Channel handheld and CB. Thanks again .... Don

Jeepshots
07-13-2017, 05:40 AM
We drove to Michigan to pick up our 24' Bullet. Mind you, we live in Arkansas. Made the trip back, and at 11pm, we were within 60 miles from home and decided to pull over and wait the incoming weather out. We had been watching a big storm front slowly barrel it's way across the state, coming out of Oklahoma. This storm had strong winds, clocked with 60mph gusts. Hail, heavy rains, all the stuff associated with severe T-storms. So we picked a truck-stop and while the wife/kids went inside to get snacks, use the facilities and whatnot, I found an empty spot in between the parked trucks, and slid our little train in between them. Perfectly sheltered for when the rains/wind hit. Waited until most of the heavy stuff was past us, then hit the road for the final leg home. Got home at 2am, btw. So we always watch the weather, even a few states away, just to make sure we know what's coming at us.

Dave W
07-13-2017, 08:46 AM
The weather is what it is and can't stop us completely. Last year we encountered a massive rain storm, to the point that we had to wait it out a couple hours somewhere on 191 South of Moab, UT - and only a couple days after encountering an 18" hail storm in Colorado Springs though neither did damage. In the past, woke up one morning with the flooding Susquehanna River in NY's Southern Tier lapping at the back of our RV and another time with Battenkill in Vermont doing the same thing. Then there was that Memorial Day snow storm 3 years ago in the Adirondacks.

If you use a smart phone, there are apps that will warn you of weather problems or even local radio. Just be aware of your surroundings and the local weather - and go enjoy yourself.

JRTJH
07-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Then you can always just rely on the "local weather witch doctors" (who are usually so wrong I wonder why they even are on TV) for advice. We did that this week, predictions were for sun, 75F days and 65F nights. We packed up, headed north to a little campground that's on a great lake for fishing. The first evening was awesome, that is until about 11PM and some of those "Lake Superior squalls" rolled in. 2' whitecaps, 30-40MPH winds and rain, Rain, RAIN !!! The weather prediction was clear skies tomorrow, so we hunkered down to wait it out. That was on Tuesday, Wednesday and today have been the same (although the predictions still are calling for fair skies and calm seas... We broke camp in the rain, drove back home in the rain, unloaded what we had to unload in the rain and we're now sitting in the house, watching the rain.

Moral of the story: Don't believe everything you hear about the weather, whether it's on an app, on TV, on the radio or ???? Like has been said, the weather is the one thing you simply can't control, so make the best of it, don't overextend and "go with the flow"..... We'll try again next week, or maybe I'll just wait until they predict rain and high winds and plan to go those days..... :facepalm:

theallde
07-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys for your input, advice and willing to share.

I'll be prepared (just like the Boys Scouts), use the media tools (TV & social apps), and most important - good common sense.

Don

chuckster57
07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
We did it in '09. Left the house on June 30 and returned August 20 something. Ran into all different kinds of weather. Hail storm in Nebraska, 100MPH winds in Wyoming. The truck forum I'm on had an old timer that had the best advise:
Carry a credit card with a high limit and low balance.

Relax, take your time and don't worry about what you have no control over. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!

CrazyCain
07-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Don't use the toilet or shower. The trailer will be worth more so when the insurance company totals it after the hail damage, you'll get more money. :thumbsup: :lol:

:lol::lol:

CrazyCain
07-14-2017, 12:33 AM

That toilet post is getting lots of milage. That's three different threads I count that it's cropped up in. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

:lol: now thats funny.....:popcorn: