PDA

View Full Version : Help with exterior water hook up leaking

mitig8r
07-05-2017, 11:42 AM
I understand from a previous post that the area I am concerned about is called the "docking station". In my best words, here is where I am leaking water: The plastic piece where I attach my water hose to the camper so that I have water available inside my 5th wheel. The water is leaking out the front of that little plastic piece, and also out the back side of same plastic piece. We have attached put in one, and then inserted (2) rubber gasket's/washers and it improved about 50%. We have also applied ample teflon tape to the hose and that helped a wee bit more. We are camping for the summer at a Colorado National forest without power, but with water available. We don't want to waste water, and at this point-- turning on the water just to make coffee leaves a significant puddle under our 5th wheel. There is no plumbing store near by, but I did try to go on line to see if I could maybe take apart the plastic piece and try to replace that, and I don't see where I can do that. Any suggestions would be of tremendous help. 2015 Cougar 5th wheel 27.5 ft. :bow:

jsmith948
07-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Look closely at the male end of your hose. If the rounded end of the fitting is deformed or dented, it will not seal. For example, I have one of those spring goodies that come with the water filter. It looked o.K., but it will always leak.
Perhaps the female swivel fitting is cracked from over tightening.

notanlines
07-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I also would be very suspect of the hose end. Try another hose or inspect the existing hose carefully. Also inspect the female fitting at the docking station, inside and out. Keep us up on your progress.

cardinal96ss
07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Is it possible the connection is cross threaded? If not, try this. I have had better luck with water hose connections when I use thick O-rings instead of the flat washers one finds in hardware stores. I then tighten the connection only slightly.

Alpine
07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
First- sorry you are having this issue. Secondly- Once you get to the root of the problem, this Item will be one of the better "upgrades" you will do! It may even fix the very issue you are having.

I have installed two in my convenience compartment, "city water & black tank flush." This will take out the equation of messing with the plastic threads each time you hook and unhook. Once you have these screwed into place without a leak...viola!!!

https://accessories.lazydays.com/camco-rv-hose-elbow-90-degree-22504?cid=52-0013-05&gclid=CNLxpqGr89QCFQaXfgodEKUAWw

flybouy
07-06-2017, 08:12 AM
I understand from a previous post that the area I am concerned about is called the "docking station". In my best words, here is where I am leaking water: The plastic piece where I attach my water hose to the camper so that I have water available inside my 5th wheel. The water is leaking out the front of that little plastic piece, and also out the back side of same plastic piece. We have attached put in one, and then inserted (2) rubber gasket's/washers and it improved about 50%. We have also applied ample teflon tape to the hose and that helped a wee bit more. We are camping for the summer at a Colorado National forest without power, but with water available. We don't want to waste water, and at this point-- turning on the water just to make coffee leaves a significant puddle under our 5th wheel. There is no plumbing store near by, but I did try to go on line to see if I could maybe take apart the plastic piece and try to replace that, and I don't see where I can do that. Any suggestions would be of tremendous help. 2015 Cougar 5th wheel 27.5 ft. :bow:
Step one remove the two hose washers and install 1 new washer. Inserting a washer over a leaking washer means you still have a leaking washer.
Step two - if the connection still leaks then replace hose with a known good hose.
If that doesn't solve your leak then look at the female connection on the unit for damaged threads or cracked connector.

mitig8r
07-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions. The hose looks good, but considering we bought it from Wal-Mart, I have gone ahead and ordered an upgrade from Amazon. In the mean time I went to the hardware store and (again thanks to your suggestions) and asked for their fattest "o" ring. That did the trick. It's no longer leaking. You all are a wealth of information.
Grateful~

JimQ
07-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Good job! When problems arise, start with the simple and work up from there. Glad for you that its fixed.