PDA

View Full Version : RV'ing and campgrounds

arniez
07-01-2017, 01:35 PM
On a recent trip, I joined in on a conversation with a few RV old timers. They were saying that since the recession ended, they are seeing so many more RV's on the road, and that the campgrounds are becoming overwhelmed. Don't know if the numbers are correct, but they said that last year, over 1,000,000 RV's were sold, and only 200,000 sites were added. Every campground we stayed in was fully booked. If I hadn't made reservations, we wouldn't have has a site for any of the nights. Some of the campgrounds we stayed at were in disrepair. Just wondering what others opinions are.

chuckster57
07-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Those numbers aren't off by much if any. I get regular E mails from RVIA and the number of new units delivered/sold is up.
Let's hope CG owners think about re investing some new found revenue.

PARAPTOR
07-01-2017, 02:00 PM
We had a previous posts on this same subject, as well as campsite availability going down costs are creeping up. In my area dealers sales were averaging around 100 units a month. As a result if you try to schedule an appointment you are probably around the September October time frame. They are going to push out new units first.

ctbruce
07-02-2017, 05:52 AM
This points out that having good Internet skills is a must in these boom times. Couple that with a plan of where you want to go and your odds go up with a higher degree of success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Acableguy06
07-02-2017, 06:57 AM
I camp mostly state parks here in Ohio. And have noticed and heard from a lot of people its harder to get sites. With that said, its often the limited number FHU sites which have always been hard to get without reserving far in advance, but its even harder now. Also when reserving and going, I see the electric only sites booked fuller and fuller over the last couple years.

66joej
07-02-2017, 12:29 PM
All I can add is come to Canada to camp. We are on our way back from a cross country RV trip ( BC. - Ont. - BC. about 6000kms). Will be staying at 11 different campgrounds twice. Made reservations all the way. Every campground we stayed at so far has had many empty sites. Just an observation.

the sodfather
07-05-2017, 05:21 PM
We stick mostly to state park campgrounds. Ya, they are packed. In January/February, we book at least one trip per month for the entire year. If you wait till March or April...forget it.

Ken / Claudia
07-05-2017, 06:39 PM
I am not sure much has changed in Oregon regarding getting a camp site. All my adult life several state parks have always been hard to get a spot. I have seen is more RVs on the highways each year for last few. State parks have been improved and 1 one brand new park added. County and fed parks seem about the same as in past. Many new private parks have popped up. State parks 28 a night, KOAs around 60. But, remember RVs for the most part do not last as long as a car. I wonder how many RVs go to a junk yard vs the ratio number of new ones hitting the road.

busterbrown
07-05-2017, 10:14 PM
I wonder how many RVs go to a junk yard vs the ratio number of new ones hitting the road.

From my perspective, as year-to-year "new sales" continue to outpace the previous, the used RV market will become saturated and price will follow the laws of supply and demand. Pretty common to see first time buyers investing in new vs used. If the economy continues to ramp up and improve, darn good chance that used coach deals will be plentiful in a few years. Throw in an OPEC or oil crisis that push fuel prices north and you'll see an big consumer sell off.

xrated
07-05-2017, 11:48 PM
As far as some numbers go, when we bought our T.H. in late October, 2016, my salesman said that they were over 1100 units sold......in 10 months. Of course that includes everything from popups to Motorcoaches I'm sure, but still, that's a lot of RV's......and just one of the thousands of dealers nationwide.

Frank G
07-06-2017, 02:42 AM
I have been camping out in northern Indiana for the last week in the hart of the RV manufacturing area. All I can say is it is Boom times here. Every ware you go there are help wanted signs, some offering sign on bonus. The transport lots are full and every where "Drivers Wanted" signs. Driving the back roads we spotted some 5+ acre fields full of new units. I've thought about putting myself back to work transporting but... there are a lot of up front costs to cover before anything fills your pockets. :(