PDA

View Full Version : Need some AC help

Cabindweller
06-27-2017, 08:06 PM
2016 Cougar...

When I set my thermostat to cool and a temp (fan is set to auto), the AC fan kicks on and runs for several seconds before the condenser kicks on. This is normal. After both run for several minutes (sometimes 5, sometimes 30), the fan and condenser shut down simultaneously and the unit never comes back on regardless of how hot it gets inside the camper.

If I set the thermostat to off and wait a few seconds for the light to shut off, I can then turn it back to cool and the process outlined above occurs again.

Any ideas why this is occurring? Is it the thermostat or AC unit itself?

Thanks in advance!

bsmith0404
06-28-2017, 04:18 AM
I'm assuming it's a dometic. I would contact their tech support line and see what they say if you're out of warranty. If you still have warranty on your unit, get it into your dealer

Cabindweller
06-28-2017, 04:41 AM
I am still under warranty but would like to avoid taking it in to the dealership if possible. Also, we're on vacation right now (1500 miles from home). I was hoping I could do something to fix it while on the road. We won't be returning home until 7/5.

It is a dometic.

gearhead
06-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Any RV repair shop that is an authorized Dometic warranty center can repair it. I had an A/C issue while on the road and found the nearest Dometic shop. They were not a Keystone dealer. They looked at the A/C and found the famous orange wire loose from the thermostat to the unit. Keystone assembly issue, not Dometic, but the RV shop in Lexington NC fixed it free.
Dometic also offers extended warranties on their products including refrigerators. If you registered with Dometic they should send you extended warranty info just before their initial 2 year warranty expires.