PDA

View Full Version : Norcold PolarMax Refrigerator Model 2118SS with Stainless Steel Doors

Kelsc
06-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

We have the Norcold PolarMax Refrigerator Model 2118SS with Stainless Steel Doors in our Fuzion 369. Is anyone having issues with the freezer frosting up like crazy!? We spent an hour this weekend scraping frost and ice from it and getting it cleaned up. We have only had it about 3 months. Frost is already forming again. 😑

JRTJH
06-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Frost forms from humidity in the air that is introduced into the refrigerator or freezer. The only "humid air" is either from opening the door or from a leak at the door seal. So, "take stock" on how often you open the refrigerator/freezer and how long you leave the door open. Hint: Someone who "grazes the shelves" will get more humidity/ice buildup than someone who opens the door with a purpose, does it quickly and closes the door.

As for "scraping the frost" to remove it, be extremely careful. You can damage the very thin aluminum walls in the freezer and destroy your unit. Any "rough handling", chipping ice or using a hair dryer or pot of hot water can (although not always) warp or damage the refrigerator rendering it "unserviceable".... Always turn off the unit, open the door, remove everything to coolers, let it defrost "at room temperature" then wipe it out with dry towels, turn it back on and don't forget to wipe the excess moisture off everything that you put back into the box. Just a few drops of water left on the mayonnaise jar and the 6 pack of beer is enough to get the frost started again.....

Looking at it "with some perspective of time" if you got three months of operation before you needed to defrost it, you're a little above average. We find that when "full timing" we need to defrost about every 2 months or so....

mj5150
06-25-2017, 10:51 PM
So, "take stock" on how often you open the refrigerator/freezer and how long you leave the door open. Hint: Someone who "grazes the shelves" will get more humidity/ice buildup than someone who opens the door with a purpose, does it quickly and closes the door.

Our Raptor 412 is growing a good size patch of frost in the freezer. It started two weeks after we moved in, it's been about five weeks now.
I am guilty of grazing the shelves, so that must be it. I didn't make the connection that opening the fridge would cause frost in the freezer.
Thank you @JRTJH.

-Mike

Kelsc
06-26-2017, 03:45 AM
We are full timing to, it definetely should have been done sooner than this weekend. Next time I'll completely defrost all and then shoot for 2 months. The owner's manual made it seem like frost shouldnt be a problem . Definetely not a frost free freezer. I did check the seals and noticed a piece of paper easily slides out from the freezer when the middle bar gets pushed in too far. We dont open the freezer that often. Mostly just for ice cube trays. Oh and we are in the hot humid south! Thanks all!

kench2009
05-28-2018, 03:17 AM
HI we have had a Norcold 2118SS refrigerator for about 3 years. NIGHTMARE.... Am sure most people are quite happy with theirs but we have had temps as low as 28 F up to 46 F and room temps from 60 to 95. Left hand door had to be replaced. condensation constantly from the bottom right hand door to the point where water damage to the floor and cabinetry. Food in fridge can freeze ior spoil under any circumstances. Dealer and Norcold said it was performing "within spec". Their spec obviously. The point I am trying to make is that both dealer and manufactures accepted no responsibility in assisting in solving this problem They claim that "spec" is when the fridge is empty..... Seriously???If you want to know more please contact me. Finally took the dealer to small claims court ( in Ontario Canada) and got substantial settlement and replaced it with a residential fridge and inverter which is amazing. Probably just the luck of the draw that ours was a dud but they still should have addressed the situation .

Frank G
05-28-2018, 03:40 AM
Totally happy with ours, were old and seasoned and know how to deal with a non frost free unit. We lived in our RV over 120 days last year and yes it needs defrosting every 60 to 90 days. The owners manual states an absorption refrigerator stops working at 32 deg F or below, a cold weather kit is available for operation down to 0 deg F. It's not a residential type fridge, don't expect it to be one.

kench
07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
HI we have had a Norcold 2118SS refrigerator for about 3 years. Am sure most people are quite happy with theirs but we have had temps as low as 28 F up to 46 F and room temps from 60 to 95. Food in fridge can freeze ior spoil under any circumstances. Dealer and Norcold said it was performing "within spec". Their spec obviously. The point I am trying to make is that both dealer and manufactures accepted no responsibility in assisting in solving this problem They claim that "spec" is when the fridge is empty..... Probably just the luck of the draw that ours was a dud but they still should have addressed the situation .
Well finally spoke to a technician that cares enough.. Turns out that installing battery operated fans inside the refrigerator to keep the whole inside a more consistent temperature and allow the sensors to operate more efficiently went a long way to alleviate the situation. Many thanks to Christian at Lloyd Bridges RV in Chelsea Michigan

Christal
04-21-2019, 07:37 PM
on your norcold were the doors lopsided? Ice forms really thick and fast in the upper right hand corner. The freezer frosts up REALLY quick (a month). We dont even have alot of stuff in freezer because we have a standing one outside. Are you still using norcold brand? Or did you get a new brand.

Racebug
04-22-2019, 10:23 AM
I had to do some significant door adjustments to ours this year for our first trip of the season. Worked fine when we put it up last year but door s wouldn't seal this year. re-drilled some holes, and we are good as new.

travelin texans
04-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Well finally spoke to a technician that cares enough.. Turns out that installing battery operated fans inside the refrigerator to keep the whole inside a more consistent temperature and allow the sensors to operate more efficiently went a long way to alleviate the situation. Many thanks to Christian at Lloyd Bridges RV in Chelsea Michigan
Totally agree!
With 10 years of fulltiming that little $12 dollar battery fan, but probably a $100 in D batteries, in the bottom right corner has worked wonders, only defrost our Norcold about twice a year.
Also if the backside of the fridge is facing west with the sun bearing down the fridge will have tough time keeping cold. Just a small amount of shade will help. I purchased about a 5' x 10' screen tarp at Harbor Freight clipped to the top of the slide & stacked at the bottom helped significantly if parked for a while.