PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring Connector Box

xlite4
06-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Hi All!

Brand new Keystone Cougar xLite Owner here. We're on the 'maiden voyage' and I've managed to pull the tow vehicle away without disconnecting the 7-point plug. It popped out of the tow vehicle fine, but pulled the junction box away from its mounting place a bit and I've got two wires (on the trailer side) that were disconnected from their position....a light blue wire and a black wire. From the way they're placed, I believe they were both connected to the post where the light blue wire from the tow plug is still connected, but I'd like to be sure. The other six posts are fine on both sides. Just the post with the light blue wire was separated. Any words of wisdom (besides remember to remove the plug from the tow vehicle first?!) for a newbie? Maybe a wiring schema that shows where the wires from the trailer side connect in the junction box? Thanks in advance!

Canonman
06-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Hope this helps
Blue should be the TT brakes

Canonman
06-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Heres a little more detailed drawing

xlite4
06-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Canonman! Appreciate the help! The plug for the tow vehicle (in your illustration) is okay. The wires from it go up into the wiring junction box under the neck of the trailer. At the wiring junction box, each of the wires from the tow plug connects (similar to what you show), but it's the wires that connect in the junction box from the trailer side that I'm having issues with. All of the wires from the trailer side seem to still be connected okay, except for a light blue and a black one. The light blue would make sense to connect to the light blue from the tow plug wire, but the 'extra black wire' is what's throwing me. There's already a black wire on the trailer side connected to the black wire from the tow plug, so it's a bit confusing..I've attached a photo from a Fuzion trailer junction box that may answer my question, but would appreciate confirmation as to what that secondary black wire is for that connects with the blue brake wire (see little red arrow in the upper left of pic).

chuckster57
06-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Probably the break away power lead.

Canonman
06-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Canonman! Appreciate the help! The plug for the tow vehicle (in your illustration) is okay. The wires from it go up into the wiring junction box under the neck of the trailer. At the wiring junction box, each of the wires from the tow plug connects (similar to what you show), but it's the wires that connect in the junction box from the trailer side that I'm having issues with. All of the wires from the trailer side seem to still be connected okay, except for a light blue and a black one. The light blue would make sense to connect to the light blue from the tow plug wire, but the 'extra black wire' is what's throwing me. There's already a black wire on the trailer side connected to the black wire from the tow plug, so it's a bit confusing..I've attached a photo from a Fuzion trailer junction box that may answer my question, but would appreciate confirmation as to what that secondary black wire is for that connects with the blue brake wire (see little red arrow in the upper left of pic).
I'll give that over to Chuckster57. He'd be the trailer side expert.
We actually had a "pre flight" check list until it became second nature. We still use the check list the first time or two at the start of the season.
Happy Camping!!

xlite4
06-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Canonman! That makes sense, Chuckster. If the blue is coming across to engage the breaks then it makes sense that the breakaway box would need to connect to the breaks as well. I'm guessing there must be a separate 12v power wire to the breakaway box to supply it with a power source as well.

Thanks to you both for the help in a crunch!

chuckster57
06-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Break away power should be from battery lead to the switch then to the brakes.
If the trailer comes disconnected from TV and unhitched, then the battery will provide the voltage to the brakes. The pin when IN the switch just interrupts the voltage.

jmart273
06-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't feel bad. About a month ago I was pulling into the site just before dusk. The 5 hour trip should have taken 2.5 hours but traffic was horrible. I was super tired and in a hurry to setup my rig.

Long story short, I didn't disconnect the cable and pulled forward. The plug stayed plugged into my switch, but completely ripped out every wire of the junction box. To make matters worse, some of the wires in the box were touching things they shouldn't have and wreaking havoc on my electrical system. I couldn't extend my slide, water pump wouldn't work, etc.

So I managed to google some pictures since there was a lot more than 7 wires in the box. I remember I had multiple black wires, but hooked them all together. Everything seemed to go ok.

I'm also color blind. So by now the sun was down and lighting was horrible. I had the computer out there and my 10 year old son to help tell me what color was what. Needless to say I won't make that mistake again. Good luck!