PDA

View Full Version : Matrix?

seaward83
06-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Is there something somewhere that shows a matrix of what uses what to run? Aka what uses the battery, propane, electric? How do you keep things cool in the fridge while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Toy
06-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Generally speaking, your air conditioners, electric water heater, televisions, electric fire place, (if equipped), dvd player, microwave, and all 110v outlets require shore power or generator for use.

All original lighting, and vent fans, ceiling fan, room sliders, and heater fan, and awning work off of 12v (battery).

Now it can get confusing to the uninitiated. When you plug in to "shore power, or 110v" your camper has a converter that uses the 110volt to provide 12volt power to all of your 12volt lighting etc. It also keeps your 12volt battery charged. Also, while driving, your tow vehicle will top off your trailer battery as you drive.

Your refrigerator (when not on shore power), room heater, and gas fired hot water heater all use propane as their power source. BUT they also use 12volt to ignite the pilot lights, and power any circulator fans.

To recap, your refrigerator, and water heater are usually dual use 110 or 12 + propane). Your water heater should never be turned on either way, unless you are sure it is full of water.

To keep our 'fridge cold while on the road, we always start it at least 36 to 48 hours before we leave on a trip. I save several of the "Simply Orange" type square juice bottles and freeze water in them to pack in both the freezer and refrigerator spaces after the food is loaded. When we load up, I treat it like an old time ice box, and turn it off. I don't like to run down the road on propane because I don't want any open flame if I stop at a fuel station. I use diesel, but who knows what the guy at the next pump is doing. I've never had a problem, even on a hot day keeping cool for as much as 8 hours. Another plus is that the dogs have water from home when it defrosts, after arrival . Never had an upset puppy tummy in 40 years on the road!

Hope this helps!

Good Luck,

chuckster57
06-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Turning off the fridge is one of those topics that seem to be split. I run mine while on the road, and during our 5 1/2 week trip, never turned it off. I fueled at truck stops only when hitched. The "open flame" is behind two different shields. I am aware that post 9/11 there has been changes on some highways.