PDA

View Full Version : WiFiRanger Elite

John&Genny
06-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Genny and I do quite a bit of things online like streaming videos, playing games, and just surfing the internet. We have been tethering using our Verizon service but doing those kind of activities can eat through your data plan in a short time, even our larger data plan that we purchased. The RV park that we normally have our RV has great internet service (fiber), but we are just on the edge of picking up their WiFi service at the lodge. So after reading some of the comments here, and looking at the reviews, we are considering purchasing the WiFiRanger Elite. I know some of you have this unit and are you happy with your purchase so far? Any drawbacks you can think of in getting one?

I was thinking about mounting the antenna on the top of the ladder for now and running the cable down through the window opening. I'll probably come up with a more permanent solution next year once the warranty runs out. Seems like RV companies frown on you drilling holes in your RV to run cables, even if you know how to properly seal it.

Leatherman
06-21-2017, 09:58 AM
I have the Alfa Networks WiFi Camp Pro setup. Its only about $100 and works VERY well. I was going to get the Ranger but this was more cost effective and works great.

Ebay has them for just over $100 shipped and here is one from off of Newegg's website: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8UD5RV9029&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+Adapters-_-9SIA8UD5RV9029&gclid=CjwKEAjwsqjKBRDtwOSjs6GTgmASJACRbI3fLrqOu4-FjfYVBcuP6hQgrqCom5DPyJGnfdGyqfRvSxoCT5Dw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has 5 of 5 eggs on that site with about 90 reviews. There are similar reviews at other sites as well.

I used recently at a site in Gettysburg and it worked flawlessly pulling in remote APs. Their other remote APs were down but I could hit the office with out issue (I was at the other end of Drummer Boy campground). I created a complete setup for it including a stand alone stand for it. Pics of the stand and the unit are here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28943

I created the stand and not mount permanently because i did not use it all the time and only need it periodically. It works as advertised and is less then 1/5 of the cost.

slow
06-21-2017, 11:07 AM
I second the Alfa unit for low cost and performance. Details of my install and links to the setup video I created can be found in this thread starting at post #20:http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26415&page=2

John&Genny
06-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info on the Alfa repeater. We will certainly look into that one as well. Another one we are considering is the JEFA Tech XR repeater system. It seems that the WiFiRanger Elite, Alfa, and JEFA Tech systems work on similar technology, it mainly depends on how much money you are willing to spend and if it provides a significant advantage over the others.