PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh EAA Airventure

F16ccang
06-20-2017, 10:46 PM
I am heading up to Oshkosh for the EAA Airventure and was curious if anybody else was heading there to camp via RV or aircraft.

SAABDOCTOR
06-21-2017, 06:32 AM
LUCKY YOU! I'M GOING TO RENO IN SEPTEMBER:popcorn: ENJOY

dcg9381
06-21-2017, 08:47 AM
I have yet to figure out how to get the airplane and RV to the same place at the same time... Still working on it.

scottz
06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
I have yet to figure out how to get the airplane and RV to the same place at the same time... Still working on it.

You take the RV; I'll fly your plane!

Desert185
06-21-2017, 04:24 PM
We'll be in AK during OSH, but will at RNO during race week.

dcg9381
06-23-2017, 11:58 AM
You take the RV; I'll fly your plane!

We need to work on our relationship, but I'm sure we can work out an alternating trade...

Desert185
06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
What do you guys fly?

scottz
06-23-2017, 03:04 PM
What do you guys fly?

Whatever I can get my hands on. Currently mostly a CT206H.

Scott (ATP, CFII-MEL, SEL)

jsm180
06-24-2017, 03:39 AM
I've been going since 1975 but not this year. I've done tents under the wing, hotel, house rental and now 5th wheel the last several years. By far, the 5th wheel with bikes is the best all around experience.

I have a 53 C-180 and 46 J-3 85hp

dcg9381
06-24-2017, 12:33 PM
What do you guys fly?

Piper Archer (mainly)
And anything else I can get my hands on.. :-)

F16ccang
06-24-2017, 03:38 PM
What do you guys fly?
Don't fly....yet. I am going up as part of the ground crew for my unit's two A-10's that are going to be there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jr1955
06-24-2017, 05:24 PM
We are from lower Delaware & go every 5years. We stay at sleepy hallow, nice place, when we are not in the 5er we bore holes in the sky with 39 J3 c85 & a 46 Champ C85

Desert185
06-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Good to see taildraggers represented.

F16ccang
07-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Anybody at oshkosh I will be at the A10 in Boeing plaza answering questions around 230pm . Come and stop by and say. I will be in uniform look for confer

Whitewolf
07-30-2017, 05:58 PM
Haven't been to OshKosh in 25 years. Haven't flown in about that many. Boy do I miss 'em both.

F16ccang
07-30-2017, 06:13 PM
It has changed a lot since I was here last in the 90s

ken56
08-15-2017, 05:31 PM
I have never been......yet. Bucket list thing for me. Out of high school (1974) I went to Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa and got my A&P license. Learned to fly shortly after. That was another life time ago. Haven't flown in years, I miss flying but still love the aircraft. It never leaves you.

Sallen80
08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
I've always wanted to go and camp. Never been yet.
Where do you camp? Full hookups?
I fly for delta and have always wanted to take my kids to this one day.

jsm180
08-20-2017, 01:51 AM
Camp Scholler is the onsite campground and there are a few full hook up sites, but mostly just pasture. It's a great way to see the show.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-information/camp-scholler

Harleydodge
12-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Thinking of possibly doing this for the first time in 2019 or 2020.
Likely would plan to spend the entire week.
It looks like "camp Scholler" would be the way to go, but I am having a hard time finding info without being an EAA member.
We could do a week without hookups, as we are self sustainable.
Any other recommendations/tips from any experienced AirVenture campers would be welcomed.
TIA

FlyingAroundRV
12-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Thinking of possibly doing this for the first time in 2019 or 2020.
Likely would plan to spend the entire week.
It looks like "camp Scholler" would be the way to go, but I am having a hard time finding info without being an EAA member.
We could do a week without hookups, as we are self sustainable.
Any other recommendations/tips from any experienced AirVenture campers would be welcomed.
TIA
Sign up for an EAA membership. You'll get discounts on the admission tickets that make it worth it.
Camping at Camp Scholler is "as you come". There aren't too many bookable sites. There is everything on site, showers porta potties, a couple of grocery stores and food. They run a shopping shuttle bus into the local shopping centers periodically, but I've never used it. If you camp, it would be good to have your bicycles along as it's a bit of a walk into the show (about 1/2 mile) and the buses and trams can be a bit spotty for timing. Also, bring a fold up chair to sit on to watch the airshows and fireworks. Bring a blanket for the little ones to stretch out on. Don't leave before Sunday morning or you'll miss the great fireworks on Saturday night. Don't even think about leaving on Saturday night after the fireworks, the traffic ...!!!

There is a free movie most nights at the open air theatre and they give out free popcorn and ice creams.

Camping is the BESTEST way to do Oshkosh! We did it last year and are returning next year. See you there!!!

This is a video we made of our trip last year. There's other places we went as well as Oshkosh that might give people some ideas. Oshkosh starts around the middle of the video if you want to skip the other stuff. I was fortunate enough to have a DW who gave me a ride in the B-29 Fifi for my birthday.

https://youtu.be/gjH9otEhIWI

Harleydodge
12-12-2018, 04:37 AM
Sign up for an EAA membership. You'll get discounts on the admission tickets that make it worth it.
Camping at Camp Scholler is "as you come". There aren't too many bookable sites. There is everything on site, showers porta potties, a couple of grocery stores and food. They run a shopping shuttle bus into the local shopping centers periodically, but I've never used it. If you camp, it would be good to have your bicycles along as it's a bit of a walk into the show (about 1/2 mile) and the buses and trams can be a bit spotty for timing. Also, bring a fold up chair to sit on to watch the airshows and fireworks. Bring a blanket for the little ones to stretch out on. Don't leave before Sunday morning or you'll miss the great fireworks on Saturday night. Don't even think about leaving on Saturday night after the fireworks, the traffic ...!!!

There is a free movie most nights at the open air theatre and they give out free popcorn and ice creams.

Camping is the BESTEST way to do Oshkosh! We did it last year and are returning next year. See you there!!!

This is a video we made of our trip last year. There's other places we went as well as Oshkosh that might give people some ideas. Oshkosh starts around the middle of the video if you want to skip the other stuff. I was fortunate enough to have a DW who gave me a ride in the B-29 Fifi for my birthday.

https://youtu.be/gjH9otEhIWI

Thanks!

The wife and I watched your video from beginning to end.
Looks like you had a great trip!
We visited Savannah this past fall as well, and so were interested in your pictures, as we saw some of the same sites.
We stayed on Hilton Head Island, which was a nice motorcycle ride from Savannah. We visited Charleston N.C. from there as well, which was worth the trip also, if you get back to the area.

I will take your advice and sign up for an EAA membership, should we decide to go for sure, and I am really leaning in that direction now!
Hopefully we can get together and enjoy a refreshing beverage .:party:

FlyingAroundRV
12-12-2018, 10:01 PM
We have a Keystone forums sticker on the hitch on our trailer. We will be camping in 101 woods if we can get a spot. If you come across our rig, give us a knock on the door, or leave us a note about where you're camped and we'll organize a meetup. We plan to get there the week before the show.

Harleydodge
12-13-2018, 05:02 AM
Same here. Forum sticker on the front storage door and at the rear.
Maybe we'll see you there. I'll update this thread if/when we book.

jsm180
12-14-2018, 07:10 AM
If you plan to stay the whole week you might want to look into the full hookup sites. I have been there in temp ranges from the 40's to 100's. There are always the inconsiderate ones that run generators 24/7 in the quiet area so you can't leave windows open at night. Also eliminates the need to dump tanks and fill fresh water depending on your tank size. Reserve early because they go fast.

Harleydodge
12-14-2018, 02:24 PM
If you plan to stay the whole week you might want to look into the full hookup sites. I have been there in temp ranges from the 40's to 100's. There are always the inconsiderate ones that run generators 24/7 in the quiet area so you can't leave windows open at night. Also eliminates the need to dump tanks and fill fresh water depending on your tank size. Reserve early because they go fast.

Thanks for the tip.
FHU would be nice, but not mandatory.
We have been to several Nascar events that are "rough camping" in much the same environment, so we know what to expect.
In fact, we plan to attend the race at Michigan International raceway the week after Oshkosh. That's what got me thinking about going in the first place, as it's only a day trip away.

FlyingAroundRV
12-14-2018, 08:45 PM
And if you can't get a FHU site, not to worry. They have a truck that does the rounds to empty your tanks. That is what we'll be doing while the show in on (if we need to). Most likely, we'll only need our grey tank pumped. We'll be using the onboard FW tank only for washing dishes, and drinking bottled water. We have a generator to recharge the battery. Last year when we were there, we didn't need the air conditioner.

notanlines
12-15-2018, 01:54 AM
Harley, keep in mind that your day trip to Michigan Int'l is a hard 450 mile trip, leading you through Milwaukee and Chicago both. If you are towing I recommend leaving Oshkosh about 3AM, full of fuel and two thermoses of coffee. After that drive, you and DW will be in bed that night at about 8:30....

Frank G
12-15-2018, 03:17 AM
Can you Ferry the RV across Lake Michigan? Just a thought.

Just googled it, yes you can, about $6.00/ft.

http://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-fares/

FlyingAroundRV
12-15-2018, 03:25 AM

We did that last year on the SS Badger. It's a brilliant trip!

Harleydodge
12-15-2018, 05:15 AM

I looked into it also.
As a side trip, it looks interesting, although it would save us in mileage only, as it's about a 5 hr trip across the Lake, plus the "sit time" waiting and loading/unloading.
We might do this on the way to Michigan from Oshkosh as a way to avoid "Sickcago".
Also, the fact we need to leave Fido in the truck by himself for 5-6 hours doesn't sound too pleasant to the the DW either.(he can't be on the travel decks and we are not permitted to stay with the vehicle)

Harleydodge
12-15-2018, 05:20 AM
Harley, keep in mind that your day trip to Michigan Int'l is a hard 450 mile trip, leading you through Milwaukee and Chicago both. If you are towing I recommend leaving Oshkosh about 3AM, full of fuel and two thermoses of coffee. After that drive, you and DW will be in bed that night at about 8:30....

I agree.
That distance is a little longer than our "Comfort zone" allows.
We will be at our leisure though, as we will have lots of time to arrive at MIS, and may spend an overnight someplace if the drive gets to be too much.

Frank G
12-15-2018, 05:36 AM
I looked into it also.
As a side trip, it looks interesting, although it would save us in mileage only, as it's about a 5 hr trip across the Lake, plus the "sit time" waiting and loading/unloading.
We might do this on the way to Michigan from Oshkosh as a way to avoid "Sickcago".
Also, the fact we need to leave Fido in the truck by himself for 5-6 hours doesn't sound too pleasant to the the DW either.(he can't be on the travel decks and we are not permitted to stay with the vehicle)

Fido always wins! At least ours do. It is just me but I avoid Chicago at all costs, I would take the northern route, much more relaxing. An VR'ers paradise.

Harleydodge
12-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Fido always wins! At least ours do. It is just me but I avoid Chicago at all costs, I would take the northern route, much more relaxing. An VR'ers paradise.

Thanks for that!
I had not even considered the "northern route" but after mapping it out, it looks to only be slightly further to go around that way and may very well prove to be the nicer drive.

(We cross the border at Sarnia)
(tx)

FlyingAroundRV
12-15-2018, 11:15 AM
I looked into it also.
When we were there last year, I don't recall seeing a single dog at Oshkosh. Being an airshow, they might not be allowed in.
EDIT
I just looked up the policy on bringing pets to the airshow.
FYI They are here.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler/guidelines

Steve/
12-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Thinking about going this year (2019). Trying to figure if there is enough going on to be entain for the whole week? The fireworks are a must for DW. We would be dry camping.
Is it even possible (traffic) to use your own car to go into town?

FlyingAroundRV
12-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Thinking about going this year (2019). Trying to figure if there is enough going on to be entain for the whole week? The fireworks are a must for DW. We would be dry camping.
Is it even possible (traffic) to use your own car to go into town?
Last year when we were planning to go, the DW kept repeating "Do you mind if we don't stay the whole week?" I said that's OK (happy wife, happy life). We got there three days early and there was no more mention from the DW about leaving early. Mind you, she's not an airplane nut like I am, but she is my navigator and permanent passenger when we fly our Outback trips.
WRT going out in your own car: the entrance/exit to the campground is separate from the main show entrance. It is quite easy to get into and out of the campground during the show. We did it several times last year on shopping trips with some friends. You will have a sticker on your windshield that allows you to bypass the queue getting back in.
EDIT:About the entertainment. There is a flying display every day around 2pm. There are seminars on all kinds of topics, some really great, some kind of meh. There are concerts in the Ford concourse (the main intersection at the show area). There are free movies at night with free popcorn and icecreams (bring your own seat). There are airplane displays, military and civilian, there are hundreds of parked private airplanes that you can walk among. If you make the right connections, you might be able to get a flight in an ultralight. There are joy flights in warbirds. There are traders who sell all sorts of things aviation related and not. Then there is the fireworks: on Wednesday night and Saturday night. There are helicopter joy flights that fly over the show area continuously except when there is a flying display on.
Yep, there's plenty to do there.

Steve/
12-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Thanks, we like planes.

Harleydodge
12-16-2018, 12:47 PM
When we were there last year, I don't recall seeing a single dog at Oshkosh. Being an airshow, they might not be allowed in.
EDIT
I just looked up the policy on bringing pets to the airshow.
FYI They are here.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler/guidelines

Thanks, I had missed that.
Our old Black Lab is pretty good at being left on his own for short periods and is our travel companion. He'll be fine.

Steve/
12-16-2018, 06:05 PM
I think I saw somewhere that a Bicycle would be nice, It looks like it is a Prohibited Item, Is there a place at the admission gates to lock up a Bicycle.
Or is the Campground inside the admission gate?

Here is a copy of Prohibited Items.

Prohibited Items
Save yourself time and hassle by leaving the following items at home, in your car or at your campsite, as these items will not be allowed through the admission gates:

Coolers larger than 12 x 18 inches
Beer, wine, liquor or any other alcoholic beverage
Firearms, fireworks and explosives
Knives with a blade length of more than 4 inches
Pets, other than service animals
Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, “Razor” style boards, Segway personal transports, or any other self-propelled device (except that the following are allowed: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).
Oversized backpacks

Harleydodge
12-16-2018, 06:15 PM
I think I saw somewhere that a Bicycle would be nice, It looks like it is a Prohibited Item, Is there a place at the admission gates to lock up a Bicycle.

Prohibited Items
Save yourself time and hassle by leaving the following items at home, in your car or at your campsite, as these items will not be allowed through the admission gates:

Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, “Razor” style boards, Segway personal transports, or any other self-propelled device (except that the following are allowed: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).
Oversized backpacks

From the general camping guidelines mentioned above:

Personal Transportation

Do not operate any unlicensed motorized vehicles including motorbikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles.
No roller-skating, skateboarding or rollerblading or hoverboards are allowed.
A driver’s license is required to drive any type of vehicle in Camp Scholler.
Bicycles and personal transportation devices, such as Segways, are allowed in Camp Scholler only (except that the following are allowed everywhere on the EAA grounds: a. One person electric/handicapped convenience vehicles; and b. Other Personal Disability Mobility Devices, such as Segways, when required because of the individual’s mobility disability and when operated in a safe manner, consistent with 28 C.F.R. 36.311(b)(1).).
Bicycle corrals are located in three locations: Theater in the Woods (near the East Gate), Bus Park, and North 40 Gate

Steve/
12-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Thank you. That was more information then I found.

FlyingAroundRV
12-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Prohibited Items

Oversized backpacks
That is a bit misleading.
Bicycles and other small transports are positively (nearly) essential. They aren't allowed in the show area, but are really useful for getting between the campgrounds and the show area. They do provide bike racks where you can lock your bike when entering the show area. Alternately, you can lock it to the chain link fence outside the show entrance (on the side entrances anyway, maybe not the main front entrance.

Harleydodge
01-22-2019, 04:06 AM
Update:

We now plan on attending definitely!
Just booked into Camp Scholler drive in camping and will arrive the 20th of July!
Looking forward to it!

FlyingAroundRV
01-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Update:

We now plan on attending definitely!
Just booked into Camp Scholler drive in camping and will arrive the 20th of July!
Looking forward to it!
CU There! We will likely be in 101 woods from about a week before the show starts. Look for our keystone rv forums sticker (on the trailer tongue) and drop in and say "hi".

Harleydodge
01-22-2019, 01:21 PM
CU There! We will likely be in 101 woods from about a week before the show starts. Look for our keystone rv forums sticker (on the trailer tongue) and drop in and say "hi".

Will do! Look forward to it!

crk112
03-28-2019, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about AirVenture this year. I haven't been there in YEARS and I've never spent the night. Always was a day trip in the plane with one of the EAA members in the family. This year would be my first as an EAA member myself.

Looking at Camp Scholler here, with regards to improved sites (with electric and water);
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/eaa-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler/electric-and-water-campsites

The page says (among other things).. "[improved sites] are available ... on a first-paid, first-served basis." ... "To secure your improved site in advance, please register using [the online system]". Then later on the same page "No reservations for improved sites are taken.". :confused:

I'm not yet an EAA member so I don't yet have access to the registration site (dare I call it a "reservation" system? :D).

Do they just mean I can secure "a camping spot" by paying now but that I can't reserve "a specific camping spot" ?

FlyingAroundRV
03-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Hi crk:
Both statements are actually correct!
They take reservations for the "improved" sites because they are limited. They don't take reservations for the rest. You need to register and pay to camp there, and for uninproved sites, it is first in first served. We will be arriving about a week before the show starts. We hope to get a site in 101 woods. Look for our Outback 272UFL with a forums sticker on the drawbar. Come and knock on the door and say "G'day". We will usually be in and around the show during most daylight hours, but usually back after dark, except if there is something good showing at the movies or someone good on at the concert.
CU there!

crk112
03-29-2019, 06:10 AM
Hi Scott thanks for the info! I think it's starting to make more sense... sounds like the bottom line is I simply need to register and pay now and not worry about getting a specific spot. :cool: I can do that!

Is it a necessity to arrive early? Is it possible to arrive, say, on Thursday the 25th and leave Sunday?

FlyingAroundRV
03-29-2019, 11:24 AM
I think it's useful to arrive early, but that's just me. A LOT of people camp there and if you look on Google Earth and look through the archived images to see what the place looks like when the show is on ! ...
We will be arriving around a week before the show. The campground is a seperate entity to the airshow and I think the campground is open all year round...i think.
BUT, unless you like waiting in long lines, do not arrive on the Sunday before the show!