PDA

View Full Version : Screw in relatively new tire?

Tbos
06-14-2017, 06:42 PM
I put 5 new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires on last August. I recently found a wood screw in one of them. It did not cause a leak but I don't know if it punctured or damaged a belt. Do you think it's ok to keep this tire on the TT or should I relegate it to the spare? FYI, I also carry another spare and my TPMS will be installed before the next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sourdough
06-14-2017, 08:39 PM
I know this sounds crazy to most, but I just don't hold on to a tire very long after it has been punctured with something like a wood screw. I'm sure a patch will fix it, and in my younger years I repaired them and kept them as long as I could. Now, as my age accumulates I seem to worry about most everything so buying a new tire just removes one of those worries.

I think you would be just fine to have it repaired but I would keep a close eye on it to make sure it didn't start coming apart.

Ken / Claudia
06-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Did you remove the screw? That's when many leak.

busterbrown
06-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Approx $60 plus the cost mounting/balancing to have peace of mind, especially if you have some long trips planned. You could use it as your spare, but does the current spare wheel match the 3 other wheels? If not and you have to remount/rebalance both, you might as well buy a new tire.

Frank G
06-15-2017, 01:10 AM
If you removed the screw and it does not leak there is no repair. If it leaks and it is within the repairable tread area of a tire it can be plugged. The repair process takes place on the rim, inflated.

I am of the opinion that a tire will fail from other reasons before a leak repair will fail. I have no statistical data to back that statement up.

Tbos
06-15-2017, 01:36 AM
The screw was removed and the tire holds air. No patch was needed. The screw was not very worn from the road so I think I picked it up close to the house. All 5 tires are the same. TT came with 205/75/14 range C. The Carlisle tires are 205/75/14 range D. Thanks.

notanlines
06-15-2017, 02:27 AM
The simple part of your statement is the "it did not cause a leak" part. There is no repair. Just go on down the road. If there was a leak then we go into the long winded discussion of plug, patch or pitch.....:nonono:

ctbruce
06-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Glad it was an easy non-fix. Your TPMS will help keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gearhead
06-15-2017, 05:45 AM
I had the same situation a few weeks ago. I was checking air pressures on the boat trailer and saw a staple stuck in the tread area. Pulled it off and took it to the tire store. I watched them pull it and it was more sideways than it was "into" the tire. Didn't leak. I swapped it with the spare. Keeping a close eye on it. I'm due new tires on it next year and want to keep them all the same age .

sourdough
06-15-2017, 08:36 AM
The screw was removed and the tire holds air. No patch was needed. The screw was not very worn from the road so I think I picked it up close to the house. All 5 tires are the same. TT came with 205/75/14 range C. The Carlisle tires are 205/75/14 range D. Thanks.

In my previous post I thought the screw had "punctured" the tire causing air loss. Since it did not I would probably run it but keep a close eye on it. The length of the screw and how deep it was in the tire would also be considered. If it was long enough to go through the tread and into the carcass I might be concerned.

Alpine
06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Yup... no worries if it's not losing air! Same thing happened to one of my 5'ver tires three years ago. Unscrewed the wood screw (no air leak) & that same tire is still fine today!

kjohn
06-24-2017, 07:38 PM
I recall truck tires (tubeless semi) being repaired with a metal screw to get the truck going in order to move to a safe spot.

Tbos
06-25-2017, 06:13 AM
I think just to be safe I'm going to move that tire to the spare. It will probably be alright but I just don't want to ISO another incident like last year on vacation. Thanks everyone.

Drydays
06-25-2017, 11:29 AM
I recall truck tires (tubeless semi) being repaired with a metal screw to get the truck going in order to move to a safe spot.

I drove for several years... screw in tire? hmmnnn?? 10 mph maybe.. ? not ,,But any thing that works eh!:flowers:

concours
07-04-2017, 01:20 PM
The above methods of tire repair are somewhat old school ( sorry if I offended anyone) the new way for a proper tire repair note I said repair is to use a plug/patch that's a patch that also has a plug attached to the patch. It is installed from the inside just like a patch except there is an attached plug that is pulled thru the hole, using this method the tire retains it's load and speed rating and up to 4 punctures can be replaced. I believe the criteria is that punctures cannot be less than 2 inches apart and not to be used in the side wall area. Any good tire shop will only use this method. Most tire repairs cost around $ 40 to 50 but far less expensive than a new tire. They keep the speed rating on a Z rated tire but cannot be used on run flat tires.
Hope that will help someone