PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Highlander for towing

bajaron
06-13-2017, 12:45 PM
anyone towing a premier 19fbpr with a highland suv. or any tt with a weight of 4000 to 5000 lbs. can a 2017 highlander handle it.

Thanks Ron:)

notanlines
06-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Ron, you need to look into cargo capacity of your vehicle and think about this: Your tongue weight will be close to 7-800 pounds with battery and propane. You're going to have four people putting them with gear about 1000 pounds. That means that you'll be loading your SUV with better than 1700 pounds. Keep in mind that the gross weight of the trailer is about 6500 pounds and that puts you WAY beyond what you should tow. I'd say smaller trailer or a regular TV.

slow
06-13-2017, 02:49 PM
The Highlander owner's manual does a good job guiding a owner in making a decision as to what the Highlander's towing capacity is. It starts on page 201.

sourdough
06-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Notanlines is correct. You need a much smaller trailer or a regular tow vehicle. The Highlander was never meant to be a tow vehicle.

Looks like your vehicle max towing weight is 1500 lbs - 5000 lbs MAX. The trailer will weigh much more than that. MAX TONGUE WEIGHT WITH WDH IS 500 lbs. from what I can find. I'm sure it's because the receiver is not any kind of heavy unit for towing. The Highlander only has 263 ft. lb. of torque. That means even if you tried towing it the vehicle would be working VERY hard to try to keep it going; which in turn means you are overworking all of your drivetrain which will cause premature failure.

I could go on but the Highlander isn't meant to tow anything more than a pop-up or a very small trailer.

bajaron
06-13-2017, 04:14 PM
thank u all.
:banghead: i know that it can only tow 5,000 lb. the trailer shipping weight is approx 4,270lbs. I think the SUV is capable of towing 5,000 lbs as stated by Toyota. the GCWR is 10,950lbs. I know this is near it's limit but i think it is do able if we keep track of the stuff we load in the trailer. water tank half full and black and gray water tanks empty when towing. there is only two of us.
This is why i was hopeing that some one was towing something approx at its max weight with a highlander and could tell me if it really would work. we realy want a trailer with a queen walk around bed so we can get out of bed without climbing over each other.

Ron

ctbruce
06-13-2017, 05:45 PM
The short wheelbase and small hitch will be really hard on you. At the very least you'll need a receiver installed that can handle the weight of the tongue and the hitch. You need to also make sure that you have LT tires and not P tires. You may also need to beef up your springs, shocks and maybe airbags to get it all level. These things won't increase your tow capacity just improve your safety factor.

You need to also quit looking in the advertising brochures for tow figures. Look at the stickers on your driver side door jamb for the actual capacities of "YOUR" vehicle. Those are the only ones that count in making a decision about tow capcities. Post pictures of them if you want dialed in towing advice.

In the end you'll have to decide what you'll do. We can only tell you the downside and things to be aware of. Chances are you'll go ahead and do it anyway. Others, me included and some who have answered you here, ignored advice, said damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead and did what they wanted. To a person, unless I've lost track, we all upgraded to an appropriate tool for the job and got a bigger tow vehicle.

Good luck. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sourdough
06-13-2017, 08:20 PM
thank u all.
:banghead: i know that it can only tow 5,000 lb. the trailer shipping weight is approx 4,270lbs. I think the SUV is capable of towing 5,000 lbs as stated by Toyota. the GCWR is 10,950lbs. I know this is near it's limit but i think it is do able if we keep track of the stuff we load in the trailer. water tank half full and black and gray water tanks empty when towing. there is only two of us.
This is why i was hopeing that some one was towing something approx at its max weight with a highlander and could tell me if it really would work. we realy want a trailer with a queen walk around bed so we can get out of bed without climbing over each other.

Ron

I think you've been guided in the towing capabilities of a Highlander....which is not much.

Stop looking at the brochure telling you "towing capability". Look at the fact that you can't have over 500 lbs. on the hitch....period. It can't tow over 5k....period. And yes, you can say all day long that you will do this and that to keep the weight down....it won't happen. And even if it did, towing that trailer with a Highlander is like taking your family on a trip where you intend to kill them. It's silly.

You really want a trailer that has a walk around queen....my heavens, get something that will tow it. You are doing what so many do; trying to justify doing dangerous stuff in the effort to fulfill your desires; at the expense of your safety, your family's and others. I will say again, having owned Toyota's, that the Highlander is not a tow vehicle; it is not in any way equipped to tow the trailer you mentioned. If you do something like that, knowing that you put you, your family and others in peril is just....not smart (trying to be PC).

vampress_me
06-13-2017, 08:38 PM
I think you've been guided in the towing capabilities of a Highlander....which is not much.

Stop looking at the brochure telling you "towing capability". Look at the fact that you can't have over 500 lbs. on the hitch....period. It can't tow over 5k....period. And yes, you can say all day long that you will do this and that to keep the weight down....it won't happen. And even if it did, towing that trailer with a Highlander is like taking your family on a trip where you intend to kill them. It's silly.

You really want a trailer that has a walk around queen....my heavens, get something that will tow it. You are doing what so many do; trying to justify doing dangerous stuff in the effort to fulfill your desires; at the expense of your safety, your family's and others. I will say again, having owned Toyota's, that the Highlander is not a tow vehicle; it is not in any way equipped to tow the trailer you mentioned. If you do something like that, knowing that you put you, your family and others in peril is just....not smart (trying to be PC).

Can I have a "like" button for this?

Hubby and I have tossed around a small camper for weekend jaunts for just the 2 of us with the kids getting older, not always wanting to come along. And looking to tow it with our Escape which also has a 5000 lb tow capacity, etc. We were looking at a Tab (little teardrop). And I'm worried that would be too big! And I do understand our Escape is 20" shorter than a highlander, but neither of these SUVs is made to tow anything substantial. I've seen "tail wagging the dog" and tried to stay far away from those vehicles, I don't want to be behind the wheel of one doing that.

linux3
06-14-2017, 09:31 AM
I have a Passport 195RB with a shipping weight of ~3750 lbs and a tongue weight of 400 lbs. with a Ford Explorer Sport.
About the same size as a Highlander but with a lot more HP (twin turbo 3.5L), HD suspension, tow mode and trailer anti-sway.

We did 4 local, 3 ~ 4 hour drive times, trips and were planning a much longer trip.
I traded the Explorer for a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8.
Best thing I did. Sure the Explorer had the power but just. 3 to 4 hours travel was very tiring because an SUV just doesn't have the structure to control that much weight. Semis, trucks and cross winds made the drive very tiring.

Lets look at weight of the TT. Loaded to travel I took it to a junk yard and had it weighed. Just over 5000 lbs and we travel light.
Tongue weight. My Husky Centerline TS hitch and assorted bits on both the TT and TV adds more than 100 lbs. 2 propane tanks and a deep cycle battery and I am way over the tongue weight max.

We just got back from a 3317 mile "See Middle America" trip and I'll tell you, days I drove over 6 ~ 7 hours and did OK. I'm not saying that I didn't notice that the TT was back there but hills and semis were no longer a problem.

IMHO, buy a much lighter TT or a stronger TV or be like me and and make a major mistake.

Craigidyllwild
06-14-2017, 09:59 AM
The bottom line is it is not a good idea to tow that trailer with that vehicle.

jaydubya1966
06-15-2017, 03:36 PM
I started my TT odyssey with a 2015 GMC Acadia. It is similar in capacity to the Highlander (maybe a little better). I bought a Keystone Premier 19RB which put me in the same situation as you. I was close to the max limits across the board. After a few trips with the Acadia I made the expensive decision to upgrade the TV. I bought a 2017 GMC Sierra and now my towing experience is completely different. I have so much more control and my knuckles have not turned white in some time. My decision was made with my families safety in mind. There is some great advice being offered in this thread.

Missslucrew
06-18-2017, 05:37 AM

You're exactly right! I have a 2004 Toyota 4runner, V8, towing capacity of 7800. My last little trailer (4800 lb gw) was easily pulled, but due to the shorter wheel base, even worth a trailer brake controller, I didn't feel comfy! So I still only pulled with our Duramax! No amount of trying to sort cut is worth you and your family's safety!

So, we'll said! Haha

bsmith0404
06-18-2017, 06:01 AM
As already mentioned by EVERYONE, don't do it. To start with, the hitch won't support the tongue weight. Toyota, Honda, pretty much every manufacturer with a unibody SUV will list max towing at 5,000 lbs with a properly equipped tow package. Notice properly equipped tow package! That includes the hitch, wiring, transmission/engine oil cooler. I've seen warranty claims denied when someone has engine or transmission problems when towing because they added an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness. Ford doesn't even sell a dealer installed hitch for the explorer, it has to be ordered with the tow package. What does that tell you about a possible warranty claim when someone shows up with an aftermarket hitch? Bottom line, the manufacturer does not build these vehicles for towing. They do have the tow package to allow people to tow light, but that isn't light. BTW, any trailer over 3,000 lb GVWR requires trailer brakes. That means you will have a brake controller installed, a dead giveaway that you're towing heavy. Just another side to the argument other than the obvious safety concerns.

Carrottop
06-19-2017, 09:04 AM
We were in the same predicament as you a mid sized SUV with a 6000lb towing capacity and a 750lb tongue weight. I have a passport 217exp which is 4350 dry and 6500 loaded. Here are the challenges you are going to face.

1. You will definitely need a good 4 point sway control hitch rated for 1000 lbs tongue and 10000 lb trialer easy 85lbs (counts as payload).

2. Your SUV will only support max 500lb tounge weight - right there this should be the deal breaker. No matter how light you pack this trailer I guarantee you that your tongue weight will be north of 650lbs.

3. Your SUV's tires are not rated for this kind of load and you risk failure at highway speeds.

4. I would be shocked if your SUV has a payload capacity in excess of 1300 lbs that means by the time you fill your fuel tank load your self and the DW in the SUV attach the trailer and load a small amount if cargo in the back of the SUV you are in excess of this and that is a definite no no.

5. Your will be in excess of your SUV GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) this means that with time and dependant on how much you pull you will blow up your rear end on this SUV.

I finally came to senses on this and purchased a used F150 and have never looked back, I still use a 4 point sway control only because I like to drive with one hand and not worry about the tail wagging the dog. I have driven in 80km per hour winds and the trailer did not budge.

I know this is hard to hear but it is reality and nothing is more important than your safety.

P.S. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RV DEALER WHEN THEY TELL YOU "NO PROBLEM YOU WILL BE FINE WITH THAT SUV". They tell everyone that just to get the sale they could care less after that.

I have an excellent Excel spreadsheet that will do the math for you on the towing capacities. It does not form opinions like all of us on here but simply gives you the facts based on your numbers. If you would like a copy message me and I will email it to you.

I have attached the spec sheet for the 2017 Highlander, if you look at page 4 irrespective of your model you are overloaded.

Hope this helps.

John S
TV 2009 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4 Triton V8
TT 2017 Passport 217EXP

bajaron
06-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help. I have read all the replys and have made the decision you are correct and am taking this to heart and not buying a trailer.
Thanks to all the people who gave me their help in this decision.
Ron

Tbos
06-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the help. I have read all the replys and have made the decision you are correct and am taking this to heart and not buying a trailer.
Thanks to all the people who gave me their help in this decision.
Ron

While its hard to find a TT that might work for your TV, you may want to consider a pop up. They can be pretty nice and there are always good used ones out there for good prices. Any kind of RV that gets you and your family out together is better than none.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

jkohler70
06-22-2017, 04:43 AM
You might want to look at a hybrid also. Our first RV was a 2900# hybrid we towed with a minivan. The minivan had no trouble with it. Since the beds "pop out", you get more living space for a given length RV.

Bumala
07-01-2017, 09:29 PM
I tow my Laredo 23 RB (7000 lbs GVW) with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There are some issues. You know the trailer is behind you. Wind will blow you around, but it's not that bad.

People make wild claims about tongue weight. I was told it was over 1000 lbs. I measured it it was less than 700.

I just towed it all the way to Alaska from California.

ctbruce
07-02-2017, 05:34 AM
I tow my Laredo 23 RB (7000 lbs GVW) with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There are some issues. You know the trailer is behind you. Wind will blow you around, but it's not that bad.

People make wild claims about tongue weight. I was told it was over 1000 lbs. I measured it it was less than 700.

I just towed it all the way to Alaska from California.
I think there is a significant difference between your GC and the OP's Highlander especially in TV weight, frame strength and engine power. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
07-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Makes me wonder what the towing issues are. With the wide range of trailers and tow vehicles on the market. Matching them up together should not have a towing combo with issues.
Submitted by a RV tower who gave up on SUVs and 1/2 PUs to tow them.

ptooti
10-02-2017, 09:50 PM
for those of you looking for towing vehicle information here is some interesting data on vehicle wheel base and towing

http://davidsrvtips.blogspot.ca/2009/03/how-long.html?m=1