PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windws

the sodfather
06-10-2017, 05:59 AM
I'm thinking of having my windows tinted in my TT. Not really interested in them being dark as much as I want some heat rejection. Have you had this done? Did you drag it to a shop or have it done with an on-site service?

hankpage
06-10-2017, 08:08 AM
I did mine myself with a bronze mirror tint and it made a big difference in heat rejection and daytime privacy. Along with the factory tint the windows just look very dark from the outside, yet looking out the sky does not look as gloomy as with gray tint. If you have the time and the patience you can do just as good as a pro and save the money for camping trips.

The only drawback with using mirror tint is that the Cardinals and Mockingbirds like to chase away their reflections during nesting season. (the thump, thump of their pecking can get annoying at times. :banghead: )

chuckster57
06-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Where did you get it Hank? Sounds like a good thing to do while I am swapping my A/C unit.

hankpage
06-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Where did you get it Hank? Sounds like a good thing to do while I am swapping my A/C unit.

Chuck, I have been searching this old brain and paper records and can't seem to find where I bought this film. It was adhesive backed (water and squeegee applied) and I bought two different size rolls. (24" wide for all windows and 36" for large dinette window) I ordered online but can't seem to find the site. If you find, be sure to check the reviews since there are some junk products out there.

Getting old sucks ... but I guess it beats the alternative, Hank http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587

chuckster57
06-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Thanks for looking anyway, I appreciate the effort...and yeah getting old does suck.

cpaulsen
06-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Home Depot carries some.

rsl
06-11-2017, 04:26 AM
not sure if you would be interested in something like this. I saw something a while back on clear tint. I have no affiliation with, no previous experience with, no knowledge of this company it only happened to be one of the first ones that came up when I googled clear window tint.......

https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new-legal-clear-heat-blocking-front-windshield-film

the sodfather
06-11-2017, 05:01 AM
not sure if you would be interested in something like this. I saw something a while back on clear tint. I have no affiliation with, no previous experience with, no knowledge of this company it only happened to be one of the first ones that came up when I googled clear window tint.......

https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new-legal-clear-heat-blocking-front-windshield-film

I hit up a local tint shop back in December for my new truck. They have a clear 100% heat rejection tint that is legal even for your windshield. $750 for all windows. I said nah. $250 got me 96% heat rejection and no windshield. That will have to do....

the sodfather
06-11-2017, 05:02 AM
I may just try to do it myself. It can't be THAT hard can it...:rolleyes:

chuckster57
06-11-2017, 05:07 AM
I may just try to do it myself. It can't be THAT hard can it...:rolleyes:

I did my old cars by myself. It isn't hard at all, just make sure the glass is clean and free of any debris.

JRTJH
06-11-2017, 08:14 AM
I added tint film to a number of cars while in Louisiana. It made a significant difference in A/C efficiency. I've never added it to an RV, but I would suspect that it is much simpler to install in a trailer because all the windows are flat, no curves. If you think about the rear window and the rear side windows in most automobiles, trying to cut it to fit, get it to adhere without wrinkles and to keep ALL (even the smallest bit) of lint from getting trapped under it is a true pain... Flat windows, I'd think, would be much easier to do. But as said above, make sure the windows are clean and keep all lint from getting under the film and I'm sure you'll be happy with your efforts.