PDA

View Full Version : I-5 through LA?

bsmith0404
06-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Anybody every run I-5 through LA? I'll be going north from Oceanside to Castaic Lake. Wondering if it's worth going around on I-15 to 210 or just take I-5 straight through.

Rick
06-10-2017, 05:03 AM
Depends on which day of the week and time of day. Generally, anytime before noon is best if it's the weekend. It could be heavy traffic but doable. I wouldn't do it during the week, I'd take the 15 all the way up to the 210 and over after morning work hours begin. Don't obey the gps and take any other routes to the 210. Those routes can have bad roads/heavier traffic/small roads. Also know that at the 5/14 split (the 210 joins there too) to stay in the truck lanes when transitioning from the 210 to the 5. Traffic for the 5 usually bunches up for the hill in the auto lanes there after 10a on any day and you'll have a hard time trying to move over into the 5's slow traffic before being committed to the 14. Even if that happens, it's easy to get to the 5 from there, plus you'll end up near CW if you need it!

bsmith0404
06-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Thanks Rick. I've transported RVs into Pomona before so I'm a little familiar with the area, but have always come from the north and never taken 5 through the heart. It'll be easy to jump over to 15 from Oceanside.