PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from our trip and CRUD, blown out window...

msubobcats
06-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Patti opened up the 5th wheel and was starting to unload our gear and felt a draft in the LR/Kitchen. Walked out to the side and saw our kitchen glass, or what was left of it, was gone. Somewhere between Petaluma and home it blew. ¥It is one off those tempered, black "insulated windows.
Do I get those through the dealer? Darn, really wasn't wanting to do that.

chuckster57
06-09-2017, 04:32 PM
The only way I know to get an exact replacement is through a Keystone dealer. Shipping is going to be terrible unless the dealer can request that the part "hitches a ride" in a unit bound for the dealership. Any idea how I happened? Was it a frameless window?

JRTJH
06-09-2017, 04:56 PM
You might want to call a glass shop in your town. Often times they can special order a glass replacement cheaper than the dealership. If you remove the window, there is an identification label that will give you the brand, model and part number for the window. With that information you may even be able to get a replacement from Lippert. Kinrow windows are typically what's installed in Keystone products and Lippert manufacturers Kinrow.

My first stop would be a local glass company, then Lippert's online store/customer service and the last ditch hope would be the most expensive, the dealer.....

chuckster57
06-09-2017, 05:10 PM
While I agree that a glass shop should be one of his first stops, I find that at least in my area, glass shops only want to deal in residential or automotive and stay away from RV business. Hopefully that's not the case where he is.

msubobcats
06-09-2017, 06:19 PM
The only way I know to get an exact replacement is through a Keystone dealer. Shipping is going to be terrible unless the dealer can request that the part "hitches a ride" in a unit bound for the dealership. Any idea how I happened? Was it a frameless window?

Yes frameless. Weather was terrible. Rain and wind on I-80 to and over Donner... We had stopped at the Rest Area at Gold Run for a snack in the 5th wheel and I think it was fine there...

chuckster57
06-09-2017, 06:23 PM
News said it was nasty up there. Mudslides on 50 so you took the right road. I wonder if maybe the window wasn't shut tight against the wall.

msubobcats
06-10-2017, 08:18 AM
News said it was nasty up there. Mudslides on 50 so you took the right road. I wonder if maybe the window wasn't shut tight against the wall.

Patti had walked around the 5th wheel twice before we left the park and no windows were noticeably open so not sure. Will be calling Sierra RV in a couple of minutes...

Deepsouth
06-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Recently had to replace the glass in a tempered tinted glass picture window. Quote from RV place was $350 to replace just the glass not the whole window. Took the window out myself (yes there is a sticker on the frame that gives all the pertinent info, so you can order a whole new window) and took the frame to a local glass place. They had to special order the tempered glass with radius corners and put it in the frame for $90. With the butyl tape and miscellaneous supplies, I have about $100 in the new window. There are some good videos and articles online on replacing RV windows. BTW, I'm a 70 yr old lady RVer. If I can do it, most anyone can.

ctbruce
06-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Recently had to replace the glass in a tempered tinted glass picture window. Quote from RV place was $350 to replace just the glass not the whole window. Took the window out myself (yes there is a sticker on the frame that gives all the pertinent info, so you can order a whole new window) and took the frame to a local glass place. They had to special order the tempered glass with radius corners and put it in the frame for $90. With the butyl tape and miscellaneous supplies, I have about $100 in the new window. There are some good videos and articles online on replacing RV windows. BTW, I'm a 70 yr old lady RVer. If I can do it, most anyone can.
There you go guys, are you going to be outdone by a 70 year old lady camper? Quit whining and get out there. Time to put your big girl panties on and not get them in a twist!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

msubobcats
06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
This is not the full window but the storm/insulated outer window with only an upper and lower metal strip. Would a glass shop be able to do this? If is I will pull mine out of my garage trash can and check with the local guy.
Also have a call/email in for Lippert.....

msubobcats
06-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Trying to upload a picture...13011

This SHOULD BE a picture of the missing window.

JRTJH
06-11-2017, 05:10 PM
We had one glass supply store in Pineville Louisiana that would order/special order/install/fabricate almost any tempered glass for us. They did everything from side windows on pickup toppers to windshields in boats. Everything they did for us was about half the price of ordering from the supplier/manufacturer. I'd say it certainly won't hurt you to call and see if they're interested and possibly take the old frame down for them to see and give you an accurate estimate... Sure beats sending credit card information to an "unknown business" on the other side of the country, especially when the price is double what a local guy can do....

msubobcats
06-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Contacting Lippert, they asked me to remove the window to get a number from it. I really don't want to remove the window for integrity purposes. Sent them a picture from outside and inside. Hoping that will suffice.
Now with our dealer and Lippert it will be hurry up and wait.