PDA

View Full Version : correct sealant for maxxair fan install

cvin
06-07-2017, 11:51 PM
did some searches on this but i dont even know what kind of roof my 2015 keystone terrain has??.. rubber?

this saturday hoping to install a maxxair fan in the center vent, what kind of sealant should i use for this?

thank you in advance

busterbrown
06-08-2017, 02:04 AM
You can determine what type of roof membrane you have (TPO or EPDM) by removing the interior vent garnish and inspecting the underside of the roofing material. Take a look at this (https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc) Dicor video. It explains it well.

As far as roofing sealant, Dicor self leveling lap sealant in the color of your choice should suffice for both roofing materials above. Be aware that there are two varieties of lap sealant, self-leveling and non-leveling (non-sag). Do not use non sag on horizontal surfaces like a roof.

Also, remember to use at least a 3/4" wide butyl tape underneath the mating flange of the fan assembly. You'll need to thoroughly remove the old lap sealant and butyl tape first, a process that will take up most of your time and take away most of your fingerprints. :eek: The actually installation time of the fan itself is very short.

Good luck.

cvin
06-08-2017, 02:50 PM
thank you busterbrown

hoping to get this done saturday, will try camping world tomorrow and see if they have the tape and the self levelling dicor

i dont see it on home depots website

busterbrown
06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
The butyl tape I used is pretty standard. I bought a roll of it for about $11 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-1-Butyl-Seal-Tape/dp/B001FCB4JS).

Camping world (or many RV dealers) will stock tubes of Dicor. They may not have the exact color of the OEM Dicor though. White and tan are pretty common colors.

Remember, set aside at least 2 hours to get off the old sealant and tape after you remove the old vent cover. Plastic blunt putty knives helped. But rolling it off with your finger tips was the least risky method of preventing rupture of the roof membrane.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

cvin
06-08-2017, 03:22 PM
all excellent info, thank you

will post back on my "hopefully" successful install!

headed to camping world right now