PDA

View Full Version : 12v Air Conditioner

davis785
06-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Hello All,
New to the forum and first time posting. First off I've learned quite a bit reading through the forum. Especially as a first time rv'er. I do have a question.

I will be traveling soon for 11 days and would like to put my dogs(mastiff and shih tzu) in the travel trailer while driving. The dogs will be in their kennel and securely strapped. The issue I have is it will be during the summer. Is there portable air conditioner that anyone could recommend that I can plug into the outlets utilizing the battery power form the rv batteries and my truck? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching but couldn't really find anything. If there are any issues you all see with this please feel free to voice them as I want to make sure my dogs are safe.
Thank you

chuckster57
06-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

since A/C is 110VAC, you would need a whole bunch of batteries and a really high watt rated inverter. In your particular case it's not practical because of the space requirement needed for the number of batteries needed.

You would be better off putting a generator in the back of the truck, and plugging in the shore power.

dwall
06-04-2017, 04:26 PM
I have never heard of 12 volt ac but if it was possible I would never leave any pet in the tt while traveling. Too much can go wrong and you would never know until it was too late. Not to mention the pets would most likely be traumatized by the whole thing. TT were never meant to be passenger vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
06-04-2017, 04:29 PM
While I agree that pets shouldn't be in anything being towed, it is a fact that it does happen. I wouldn't consider for even an instant putting my pet in a moving earthquake.

PARAPTOR
06-04-2017, 04:35 PM
As stated by Chuckster57, I think your only hope is to run your on board AC. It will get hot in that trailer while traveling baking in the sun. Here are other things I would recommend.

I would make sure both dogs have plenty of water

I would add at least two fans per cage to circulate air

I would purchase a remote thermometer that you can monitor from the truck

If possible would put them in an area where you can concentrate the cooled air

Key is to monitor temp near them and check water

The big guy is going to be bigger problem being cool

Ultimate RV for your situation is a TH with on board generator

Nice to have the furry kids with you on those camping trips

:wlcm: to The Forum From Western PA

Be Safe and Happy Camping :camping:

davis785
06-04-2017, 04:37 PM
They typically ride in the bed my truck(with camper shell) during cooler months. I think when compared to that it will be more comfortable and safer if I can get air conditioning in there. They will be monitored by a portable camera and a portable thermostat will be placed in the tt as well. I'm a hunter and previously owned bird dogs that were also in my truck bed to and from the field and on trips.
Being that I now own a mastiff and a shih tzu I don't trust the airlines and feel like they will be safer with me. The only 12 volt units I've seen are used for semi trucks or require ice periodically. Neither will work

chuckster57
06-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Riding in a camper shell isn't as rough as being in a trailer. I would suggest you set up the monitor with sound and take a ride without the pets inside. That way you can get an idea of the environment they will be subjected to.

I do applaud you for showing such concern for your pets comfort and safety.

PARAPTOR
06-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Forgot to mention the camera, which I suggest be equipped with a mike so you can hear if any alarms go off or in general just to hear what is going on. Pets are much safer in secured kennels that in the back of a truck with no safety harnesses

busterbrown
06-04-2017, 06:34 PM
I personally would not do it, but I've seen it frequently at different campgrounds. I'll see a pickup (with trailer)pull up with a family of 4 or 5. Then, after the trailer is unhitched, I'll see several large dogs appear out of no where. My wife and I just shake our heads. If that's the route the OP wants his pets to travel, good advice had been given. I'd also suggest a high velocity vent fan like an MaxxAir or Fantastic. And have very frequent potty breaks. Good luck.

shaner
06-05-2017, 04:55 AM
Hook your TT up, get a friend/family member to pull it down the road while you ride in the TT. It's extremely uncomfortable. I wouldn't subject my dogs to that. The movement is really unpleasant

davis785
06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Would you all say more unpleasant than the truck bed?

ctbruce
06-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I'd say more unpleasant than the truck bed. Ride back there and see for yourself then you'll know forsure. Definitely open the vents and a window to get some air circulation going. Where are you headed to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

davis785
06-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Oklahoma to Alaska

ctbruce
06-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Others should kick in, but last year we went to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone first part of July. It was quite pleasant and we only ran the AC a couple of days. That said, you won't be running into OK/Midwest summer temps for very long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

davis785
06-05-2017, 05:21 PM
That's what I'm hoping, thanks for the replies everyone. Trying to ensure this trip is fun and safe for both the family and pups.

Acableguy06
06-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Speaking from riding in a fifth wheel as a kid, I loved riding in the camper. State we lived in this was legal as long as had a hard wired communications device, or something along those lines :) It really isn't as bat as I have been reading :) IMO

GMcKenzie
06-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Would you all say more unpleasant than the truck bed?

Yes. Emphatically yes. To the point that I think what you are talking about is cruelty to animals. Sorry, but these things don't have the suspension that your truck does and is going to toss the dogs around in their kennels like rag dolls.

Truck bed is far nicer.

Sorry to be blunt.

66joej
06-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Agree with the negative comments. After experiencing some of the messes we have had in the TT after travelling on rough roads. Put the kennels in the truck box.

outwest
06-05-2017, 07:13 PM
I gotta agree, it's quite the rough ride back there. Actually did ride in a trailer once (and only once). It was years ago; I was a kid and asleep. My father decided that instead of waking me up, he'd just go ahead and pull off down the road with me in it. :facepalm: :nonono:

This was in an Avion travel trailer. Those things rode smoother than most trailers, because it had 6 wheels and each wheel had independent axles, rather than the straight, solid axle that most trailers have. Despite that, I was being bounced and tossed.

In a recent trip in our Vantage, our valance and shade over the dining table bounced off. We've also had the closet implode from the bouncing, clothes bounce off of the clothes rod, items laid on the bed end up in floor, etc. I met one person who even had their drop in oven bounce out of its place in their rv. Right now I need to fix the pull out pantry that has fallen down.

So yeah, I can't recommend it. You could always have spouse/friend/etc pull it a few miles down the road with you in it to see what it's like, though I really don't recommend that either, what with the safety issue.

notanlines
06-06-2017, 05:51 AM
I rode a short distance down the interstate in both the front (bedroom) and rear (garage) of our Raptor. I could go to sleep while on the bed up front if I had chosen. The garage is an entirely different matter. Our dog would never be kept in the garage.....way too rough. But in our case he just rides in the truck with us anyway.
But kudos to the OP for being that concerned for his pets!

dcg9381
06-06-2017, 11:44 AM
No opinion on putting the dogs in back of the trailer.
Oklahoma will be too hot this time of year without AC. Back of the truck will be too, without shade.

Honestly, the way I'd accomplish this is by running a portable generator and connecting the trailer to it... How you do that safely down the road is going to be up to you.. On a Class-C with a defective onboard, I got creative one summer.

Or just buy the Mega-cab... It's only a few dollars more than a new generator. :-)

gearhead
06-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Just put them in a Coleman cooler..it'll keep them cool a long time. Duct tape the lid shut.

uh...yeah I'm joking, but I guess I grew up different. Dogs were hunting dogs and not much sentimentality attached to them. My Dad and uncle did field trials and if the dog didn't perform it was gone. Don't bother getting attached to them.
But I do think dogs are more tolerant of conditions than is being worried about here. I can remember Dad putting them in the "turtle shell" of his 1953 Chevy, finding a sandy country road, tying the dogs to the bumper and exercising them before hunting season. In August and September in south Texas.
There are likely several hundred thousand dogs within 250 miles of me laying around outside in 95 degrees the shade all summer.
Put them in the trailer crack a couple windows and give them some water when you stop.

dcg9381
06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Put them in the trailer crack a couple windows and give them some water when you stop.

That's one way to try it.. I know that it gets HOT in the RV in the TX sun.

gearhead
06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Drive at night.

jkohler70
06-07-2017, 04:12 AM
It's not a bad ride in a towed RV. 35 years ago my sister and I rode in the RV through any state that it was legal to do so. We preferred it to riding with the parents (I think they enjoyed the quiet). Of course I also recall riding around on the package shelf in the back of the car in the 70's. Smart lot we were.

Drydays
06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxyKnLTGGI

see this