PDA

View Full Version : Helium Fridge question

dogcamp
05-31-2017, 09:57 AM
We have the Helium Fridge in our 2015 Hideout.
Having trouble with it not switching from power to gas...

Good gas connections, mode panel in good working condition.

Any tips or tricks?

Javi
05-31-2017, 10:27 AM
When does this occur, if after the propane has been off for while then you probably need to purge the air from the lines. I learned to always light the stove top for a couple of minutes

Javi

Ken / Claudia
05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Refers use helium now. Did then go away from ammonia.

hankpage
05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Refers use helium now. Did then go away from ammonia.

Not all. Most still use ammonia.

NorskeBob
05-31-2017, 11:50 AM
New design to me: http://www.atwoodmobile.com/refrigerators/

Before I try to use the gas mode I purge the gas line by lighting one of the burners on the stove.

Found this in the manual:
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/refrigerators/ENGLISH_Refrigerator_Manual_11.pdf

When switching to gas operation, the refrigerator control begins a 40 second trial ignition cycle. During this period, the control opens the gas safety valve and begins sparking the burner. If after 40 seconds the control fails to detect the presence of a flame, the control shuts off the gas safety valve and stops sparking the burner. The CHECK indicator on the control panel turns on indicating that the burner failed to ignite. The CHECK indicator can be reset by turning the refrigerator off and then back on again and a new 40 second trial ignition cycle begins. On initial startup or after changing a propane tank, it is possible that air in the gas supply lines will require 2 or 3 ignition trials before successfully lighting the burner.

B-O-B'03
05-31-2017, 03:09 PM
New design to me: http://www.atwoodmobile.com/refrigerators/

I think I read somewhere that atwood was bought by dometic, not sure if they are going to continue the line or not... sure hope parts will be available for the one in my rig.

-Brian

ripthunder
06-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Good Morning I have a 2013 Hideout and I am having a problem with our fridge as well it has been in the shop for days in the last couple of years trying to find the problem and all I get told after testing your unit it all looks ok but when we head out camping after 4 days my fridge goes into defrost mode I feel and will not go back into cooling mode. been talking to Dometic they say I could have a blockage in the cooling lines as the heat chamber and the cooling lines are both hot? one person said I have lost some Helium? My problem is why would this work great for a few days and then stops! anyone else having this same problems?

chuckster57
06-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Good Morning I have a 2013 Hideout and I am having a problem with our fridge as well it has been in the shop for days in the last couple of years trying to find the problem and all I get told after testing your unit it all looks ok but when we head out camping after 4 days my fridge goes into defrost mode I feel and will not go back into cooling mode. been talking to Dometic they say I could have a blockage in the cooling lines as the heat chamber and the cooling lines are both hot? one person said I have lost some Helium? My problem is why would this work great for a few days and then stops! anyone else having this same problems?
Welcome to the Forum :wlcm:

First off if your refer is a Dometic, then it doesn't have any Helium in it. Only Atwood used it and I think it was only for a couple of years. Yes Dometic did buy Atwood, and IIRC parts support will not be good.

RV refers don't have a "defrost" mode, there may be a heat strip in the door seal to help with exterior condensation, but that doesn't explain your issue. Lots of questions:
Is the refer on LP or Electric when it gets warm
are you opening the doors often
do you get any "check" light on the face of the control panel
are you sure the doors are fully closed when you get something out

ripthunder
06-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the Forum :wlcm:

First off if your refer is a Dometic, then it doesn't have any Helium in it. Only Atwood used it and I think it was only for a couple of years. Yes Dometic did buy Atwood, and IIRC parts support will not be good.

RV refers don't have a "defrost" mode, there may be a heat strip in the door seal to help with exterior condensation, but that doesn't explain your issue. Lots of questions:
Is the refer on LP or Electric when it gets warm
are you opening the doors often
do you get any "check" light on the face of the control panel
are you sure the doors are fully closed when you get something out

Thanks for coming back to my post!
I called Keystone first and they told me I need to call Dometic as they did buy out Atwood and talking to them they did say they shut down the Helium fridges and they do not supply any parts anymore. so to have a clear on the issue I am having is after 3-4 days my fridge heats up both in the freezer and the fridge on the freezer side the temp gets over 0c and the fridge is 10+c this has happen both on Gas and 30 amp power. as for any check light on the panel I get nothing. as for the doors yes there were closed. seeing that there are so many post on different site about this issue with the Atwood Helium fridges they were not the best made. thanks

chuckster57
06-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Your welcome. If you have extended warranty, I would look into replacement. Since He is no longer made/supported the replacement would be traditional ammonia.

dgworek
08-12-2017, 04:00 PM
We are having a similar issue. WE have a 2015 Hideout with the Atwood Helium refrigerator. When we took it in for repair it was determined that the problem was the heating element.. The part is no longer being made because the refrigerator is no longer being made. We purchased the extended warranty and now we are waiting to find out if the entire refrigerator will be replaced since it cannot be repaired. Dometic did purchase Atwood . Would love to know what your outcome was.