PDA

View Full Version : What color lights?

dwall
05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm about to put led light strip under my awning. A friend just did his and used a blue strip. This past weekend we all went camping and his lights attracted so many bugs he had to turn them off. Just wondering what color lights would be the best. I'm thinking a soft white or amber. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busterbrown
05-30-2017, 04:53 PM
I'd suggest a soft amber strip that has a dimmable controller. The OEM strip on my Bullet is cool white and can not be dimmed. The light is abrasive to the eyes at night and is the biggest bug attracter in the entire campground.

geeman
05-30-2017, 07:01 PM
I would suggest white too! Then all of the bugs will go to your camper ;)

I have been skeptical of putting on....dimmable for sure as stated but white is the worst I have seen in campgrounds.....bugs galore!!!

bsmith0404
05-31-2017, 04:25 AM
Amber does not attract bugs

chuckster57
05-31-2017, 04:39 AM
Amber does not attract bugs

It must depend on where you live. Either that or the bugs in our part of the country just like light.

Tbos
05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
My lights usually end up defaulting to green and then dim too. Don't seem to attract more bugs than other lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WaltBennett
06-01-2017, 02:45 AM
I could never figure out why people want those lights in the first place. Campfires are much nicer and toast the little critters very well.

canesfan
06-01-2017, 04:07 AM
I could never figure out why people want those lights in the first place. Campfires are much nicer and toast the little critters very well.

Because sometimes you need more light than a fire. I don't like all the gimmicky flashing light shows, but sometimes I need to see. The awning lights that came on mine were not obnoxious at all, when they worked. They were a whole lot less obnoxious than the patio lights over both doors. They were bluish white and looked nice and made just enough light to be able to see and not enough to intrude on your neighbors. There's a happy medium between no light and too much light.

CaptnJohn
06-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Guess because I outgrew carrying wood and making all that smoke. I'll keep the light (usually off) and the propane fire pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notanlines
06-01-2017, 05:58 AM
Ohhhh, Capnjohn, most of the members here would find your utterance blasphemous. "Outgrowing a campfire?" No way, Jose! Surely campfires and awning lighting can live in harmony......:D

mjeronimo
06-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Gas fire pit all the way! No wood to carry(or store next to garage attracting bugs and spiders). Kids can roast marshmallows without embers popping or smoke in their face( or mine!) Cost -20 dollar bottle of propane lasts 8 hours, 20 bucks firewood maybe 4-6. Here in California (Bay Area) some rv parks follow spare the air day so no wood fires but propane is ok. And when it's time for bed you turn it off, not laying in bed hoping a ember doesn't burn the park down "priceless ".

mjeronimo
06-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Got off topic with the fire pit, get the muti colored ones you can dim-change colors so you can see what attracts/ doesn't attract bugs and what works for you. Check eBay very inexpensive.

outwest
06-06-2017, 10:51 PM
I'd suggest amber or multi to where you can change it. Don't have awning lights, but our big outside "porch" light was white from factory and it drew tons of bugs. I switched it out to a bright amber and now it draws very few. Plus, like already mentioned, those white ones are harsh to the eyes of your neighbors ;)

Desert185
06-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Awning lights...:banghead:

Changing color awning lights...:banghead::banghead:

Campfire �� (real wood)...:thumbsup:

Real wood in my hood: $20/two cords