PDA

View Full Version : Chocks with Level-Up System?

sandy43
05-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Those with 6 point Level-up systems, do you also use chocks? I personally never have. I don't see how chocks would help with 6 points on the ground. But, I want to do what's best, that's why I'm asking. Thanks

EVMIII
05-27-2017, 03:33 PM
I always chock my Alpine before I ever unhook. Keeps trailer secure while unhooking. They may or not help much once leveled depending on how level the site is, but I have always had atleast one side on the ground so I leave them in place.

Harleyhop
05-27-2017, 04:55 PM
I also chock before unhooking and keep them on until I hookup to leave. It might be me but I believe it makes the coach more stable.:)

Pull Toy
05-28-2017, 06:47 AM
I always chock. It takes some stress off of the two front landing gear prior to dropping the other four legs.

I agree with Harleyhop that it seems to add some stability.

Good Luck,

JRTJH
05-28-2017, 06:56 AM
If you think about how the 6-point system works, you'll come to the conclusion that chocks are REQUIRED (not optional). I say that because the operational sequence of the 6-point system requires that the trailer be disconnected from the tow vehicle BEFORE the jacks are ever lowered. There's even a warning to move the tow vehicle from under the trailer before starting the "level-up" process.

So, to have a trailer sitting, not connected to the tow vehicle, without the jacks supporting the trailer, will place the trailer in a condition where it "could roll" if on uneven ground, if a wind blows it, etc. Before unhitching the trailer, it must be secured to prevent any possible movement (rolling downhill) by using chocks under the wheels. I'd suggest that few of us would, after leveling the trailer, remove the chocks, then place them under the wheels again before raising the jacks when getting ready to tow again.

Once they're put on the ground, why not leave them in place? Even if the wheels are lifted off the ground, you'll still need chocks in place when the wheels are lowered again.

canesfan
05-28-2017, 08:54 AM
I use chocks if I'm on an unlevel spot, and leave them there after leveling. If I'm on a level spot I don't usually use them unless I need to back into them to release the kingpin. I've never had a trailer roll away on a level spot without chocks. But everyone has their own "quirks" about the right way to do things or what makes them feel comfortable. If chocks make you feel more comfortable, by all means go for it. :)

Canonman
05-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Use them every time. Made it a habit when we had a bumper pull and never changed. Also, I set the chocks for both forward and reward roll. I guessed wrong one time thinking the slope was to the front. It wasn't but fortunately when the front tire rolled back it stopped against the backside of the rear wheel chock. True the landing gear on the 5er makes things much more stable, but I did witness/participate in a rather panicked response to chocking a neighbors 5th wheel when it started sliding backward as the owner unhooked and was driving his truck forward. When it was over we all enjoyed a cold beverage and swore we'd always chock our wheels:)

MarkS
05-28-2017, 08:17 PM
I talked to guy who's 5er slid in a badly un-level site. I always put the chocks down before I un-hitch. Fore and back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alpine
05-28-2017, 09:16 PM
If you think about how the 6-point system works, you'll come to the conclusion that chocks are REQUIRED (not optional). I say that because the operational sequence of the 6-point system requires that the trailer be disconnected from the tow vehicle BEFORE the jacks are ever lowered. There's even a warning to move the tow vehicle from under the trailer before starting the "level-up" process.

So, to have a trailer sitting, not connected to the tow vehicle, without the jacks supporting the trailer, will place the trailer in a condition where it "could roll" if on uneven ground, if a wind blows it, etc. Before unhitching the trailer, it must be secured to prevent any possible movement (rolling downhill) by using chocks under the wheels. I'd suggest that few of us would, after leveling the trailer, remove the chocks, then place them under the wheels again before raising the jacks when getting ready to tow again.

Once they're put on the ground, why not leave them in place? Even if the wheels are lifted off the ground, you'll still need chocks in place when the wheels are lowered again.

That is going to create a lot of damage to "one's" pick-up! You had better lower the "front landing legs" before you "unhook!"

JRTJH
05-29-2017, 04:35 AM
That is going to create a lot of damage to "one's" pick-up! You had better lower the "front landing legs" before you "unhook!"

You're absolutely correct !!!!! Attempting to disconnect the tow vehicle with ALL the jacks (including the landing gear) in the up position will cause a lot of damage. Most (I see now not all) owners would take that into consideration when unhitching their truck from their fifth wheel.

So, I won't edit my original post (it's also quoted above) but would add: "Lower the landing gear before unhitching the truck, even though the center/rear jacks are in the up position and aren't touching the ground."

Thanks, Alpine, for pointing out my omission. I'll try harder to be more precise on future posts :whistling:

BuxCamper
05-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Chock! Better and cheaper to be safe and not sorry.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

brad2388
05-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Always chock the side i know thats going to stay on thr ground. If you dont know throwna level on the camper and put the chocks on the side of the level thats down.

Saves the front seals and rods in the front landing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gearhead
05-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Chock always. But, I chock loosely, leaving about 1-2" between the chock and the tire.
Two experiences to relate...the first one I have told before..never hit that auto level button until the truck is completely out from under the 5th. Even if it's lightning and about to pour down rain. Krylon glossy black fixed it.
Second one just happened...hooked up to leave a very unlevel site. Tires were chocked. Did my "tug test" and watched the king pin slide down the hitch. I slammed on the brake and the chocks caught it at the same time, before it got off the hitch. Front legs were barely off the ground and may have caught it. Tailgate was down. Yeah, it was pouring down rain.
So..always chock and always tug test.

sandy43
06-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys for the info.. I'll start using chocks.

MattE303
06-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Chock always. But, I chock loosely, leaving about 1-2" between the chock and the tire.
Two experiences to relate...the first one I have told before..never hit that auto level button until the truck is completely out from under the 5th. Even if it's lightning and about to pour down rain. Krylon glossy black fixed it.
Second one just happened...hooked up to leave a very unlevel site. Tires were chocked. Did my "tug test" and watched the king pin slide down the hitch. I slammed on the brake and the chocks caught it at the same time, before it got off the hitch. Front legs were barely off the ground and may have caught it. Tailgate was down. Yeah, it was pouring down rain.
So..always chock and always tug test.Can you elaborate a bit on exactly how you do the "tug test"? I'm assuming after hookup and "retract all" you drop the front landing gear until it almost touches, then drive forward just enough to make sure the hitch is properly closed? Something like that?

gearhead
06-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Hook up, visually check, hook up wiring from 5th to truck, leave tailgate down, retract all. Stop the front legs when they just come off the ground. Put the truck in gear and manually activate the trailer brake from the truck dash board. It might roll 1-2 feet before the brakes grab. You want to give it a decent tug to be sure it is hitched.
edit add...when I hit the 2 buttons to hook up, the rear jacks retract and the front legs go to the position they were in when I un hooked.

Javi
06-01-2017, 09:43 AM
My routine is similar.. I raise rear jacks, move front jacks to hookup position, hookup, then raise front jacks until truck just takes the weight of the trailer.. then lock hitch handle and breakaway cable, plug in cord and visually check hitch jaw... shut tailgate..

Get in the truck, foot on brake, shift to drive , activate and hold brake paddle while letting off truck brake and tapping accelerator lightly.
After putting selector back in park I get out and hit retract all button. Raise and pin landing gear... then DW & I check running, signal and brake lights.. I rock trailer to free chocks, DW pulls and drops them in the bed on the way to her seat and we're on our way...

Javi

Rhinoone82
06-01-2017, 01:58 PM
My routine is similar.. I raise rear jacks, move front jacks to hookup position, hookup, then raise front jacks until truck just takes the weight of the trailer.. then lock hitch handle and breakaway cable, plug in cord and visually check hitch jaw... shut tailgate..

Get in the truck, foot on brake, shift to drive , activate and hold brake paddle while letting off truck brake and tapping accelerator lightly.
After putting selector back in park I get out and hit retract all button. Raise and pin landing gear... then DW & I check running, signal and brake lights.. I rock trailer to free chocks, DW pulls and drops them in the bed on the way to her seat and we're on our way...

Javi

Javi, my wife and I have pretty much the same procedure as you. But I need to ask what you use for your chocks? This last trip out we did almost the same as you except I had my wife do the driving out of the park. Trying to get her more accustomed to the procedures. I did all the walk arounds and grabbed the chocks, the large plastic ones that are the width of the trailer, and threw them in the bed of the truck against the tailgate. Now I have done this same thing for the last 2 years with no issues. Well I got home and went to unhitch and one of the chocks is gone. Somehow it must have been blown out of the bed as there were no stops along the way home. The only thing I can think of is my last truck had a short bed. The new truck has an 8ft bed. Any thoughts?

Javi
06-01-2017, 02:06 PM
www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/dock-truck/chocks-wheel-tire/rubber-wheel-tire-chock-10-l-x-8-w-x-6-h?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9r7JBRCj37PlltTskaMBEiQAKTzTfLpzcji--4laLkEV2OFrhPlk_7ZjC8Xh-Dmd4htJHjYaAsL-8P8HAQ
Lots of turbulence in the bed pulling a 5th wheel, especially with a solid tailgate.

I've even seen the chocks above blow around if I don't put them against the cab.

Javi

Rhinoone82
06-01-2017, 03:01 PM
www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/dock-truck/chocks-wheel-tire/rubber-wheel-tire-chock-10-l-x-8-w-x-6-h?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9r7JBRCj37PlltTskaMBEiQAKTzTfLpzcji--4laLkEV2OFrhPlk_7ZjC8Xh-Dmd4htJHjYaAsL-8P8HAQ
Lots of turbulence in the bed pulling a 5th wheel, especially with a solid tailgate.

I've even seen the chocks above blow around if I don't put them against the cab.

Javi

Thanks alot. I was just amazed that one was missing. My wife even commented that if she had been the one putting them in to the bed that I would have said that she must have left one on the ground. Like I said 2 full years of doing this with the last truck and they were always right where we put them. Right at the tailgate. Figured there would be no way that they could "bounce" out between the trailer and the top of the bed. Guess I will go with what you use.

Javi
06-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks alot. I was just amazed that one was missing. My wife even commented that if she had been the one putting them in to the bed that I would have said that she must have left one on the ground. Like I said 2 full years of doing this with the last truck and they were always right where we put them. Right at the tailgate. Figured there would be no way that they could "bounce" out between the trailer and the top of the bed. Guess I will go with what you use.
With a long bed there is room for the air to flow off the cab and down, with the short bed not so much... had a buddy helping load up he put several of my 12 x 12 x 2 blocks behind the wheelwell on the passenger side and I failed to notice.... driving down the interstate I just happen to glance at the rearview mirror in time to see 6 12 x 12 x 2 boards floating up against the bottom of the trailer.... luckily I wasn't flinging wooden frisbee into traffic behind me.

Javi