PDA

View Full Version : Door keys

Stag556
05-26-2017, 01:54 PM
So I had an issue at the dealer taking delivery of my trailer, they didn't have or couldn't find the keys. They said no big deal, they will order more from Keystone. I received the keys today and I went to go lock the door and it won't turn the lock. It's a 2017 Cougar and the number on the key matches the sticker on the lock but when I put the key in, it goes in smoothly and no issues with that, it will not turn. As a first time RV owner, is there something I'm missing?

The dealers response was either bring it in, which is an hour away, or they can send me a generic door handle to replace it. Call me crazy but that key matches with the storage doors, which it works on, and I'd rather not have seperate keys to worry about on a brand new trailer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
05-26-2017, 02:42 PM
If you have a trailer with the "one key fits all" then your dealer probably ordered the wrong key. I would make the dealer fix it so that you have a "one key" system as advertised.

Stag556
05-26-2017, 02:48 PM
If you have a trailer with the "one key fits all" then your dealer probably ordered the wrong key. I would make the dealer fix it so that you have a "one key" system as advertised.

Well it's semi "one key fits all". One key is supposed to open the door and the "slam" style door latches. The forward storage compartment and the rear use the generic 751 key which they didn't supply me with at all.

They had me read a code off the door and the key is stamped with the same code so on the surface everything looks kosher but for some reason the lock won't turn. The lock does operate from the inside, which confirms the lock is operational.

Also, the key does lock and unlock the slam latches perfectly fine. It's only the door lock that I'm having the issue with. I'm hoping that I'm just doing something wrong that can be corrected with advice but insert key and turn seems pretty simple. Haha.

Thundershorts
05-26-2017, 06:34 PM
For what it's worth, I have a 2017 Avalanche with three keys. One for the slam latch locks, one for the main door, and the 751 key for the other two compartments. The slam latch key will fit in the main door lock, but that's about all it does on the main door lock. Hope you get this issue straightened out.

chuckster57
05-26-2017, 06:51 PM
I don't think your doing anything wrong. How fast did you get a set of keys?

Stag556
05-26-2017, 07:01 PM
I don't think your doing anything wrong. How fast did you get a set of keys?

It took about 1 1/2 weeks to get the keys. I was told they had to be ordered direct from Keystone.

chuckster57
05-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Unless the dealer or Keystone paid for "expedited" shipping, that seems a bit fast IMO. If you only have one entry door, it might be quickest to just change the door lock set. Granted you'll have another key, but at least you'll be able to lock and deadbolt the entry door.

Stag556
05-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Unless the dealer or Keystone paid for "expedited" shipping, that seems a bit fast IMO. If you only have one entry door, it might be quickest to just change the door lock set. Granted you'll have another key, but at least you'll be able to lock and deadbolt the entry door.

Yeah, you're probably right. The dealer had me send them the code number off of the lock and the keys that I received so reflect that same number. As I stated before, on the surface it all looks right but it's not.

I will eventually have to do what I have to do so I can lock my trailer but I will absolutely press the dealer to correct this issue. For the price of this trailer, being able to lock it shouldn't be a big ask.

chuckster57
05-26-2017, 07:26 PM
Just my opinion, but I have my doubts they ever had contact with the factory.

Stag556
05-26-2017, 07:31 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170527/007edeac0414404e471137921ccdb4c4.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170527/94d672b6280689801864c023a16671bd.jpg

Here's a pic of the lock and key for reference

chuckster57
05-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Looking at the key, it looks like the key was "cut" not stamped.

Factory keys will have a clean edge along the entire "cut". I suspect they had a pair of keys cut at the local locksmith or key shop.

I was the "other" locksmith in the prison I worked at for 7+ years. We had reference material that would let us make a key based on key numbers and other means. It's possible that they weren't cut right. I would go to the local locksmith and have them cut a new key based on the code. See if that works and if it does get another one and send the dealer the bill.

caninex2
05-27-2017, 08:20 PM
I had the same problem. Dealer replaced the door lock.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MattE303
06-05-2017, 03:29 PM
You can order those purple Global Link pre-cut keys by number (along with lock cylinders, etc) online without going thru the dealer.

My locks had a sticker with this website on it:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Dealer-Key-Alike-Program

Stag556
06-05-2017, 03:39 PM
You can order those purple Global Link pre-cut keys by number (along with lock cylinders, etc) online without going thru the dealer.

My locks had a sticker with this website on it:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Dealer-Key-Alike-Program

That's for the link. I found that a little while after posting this thread. I'm making the dealer replace the lock first because I don't feel like I should be putting anything out of pocket on a brand new trailer. If that fails, then I'll do it on my own.

outwest
06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
I agree that the supplied key looks like a cut key. IMHO, whoever cut that key (and your dealer) messed up.

Plus it's my understanding (based on what a friend of mine told me awhile back whose motorhome has Global locks and from what I've seen online), though I could be wrong, that Global's color codes for their keys are:
black - factory key
yellow - change key
green - master key
blue - blank key
Like I said, I could be wrong about that.

If you go the route of changing the cylinder, (in case you don't know) you will need a change key (a.k.a. a yellow key). Some places only sell those to authorized dealers, but if you dig on the net you can find places that sell to the individual. However, I would think your dealer should be willing to loan you one. I'd try getting a new key first, though.

chuckster57
06-05-2017, 08:07 PM
My global master key is red.

outwest
06-05-2017, 09:12 PM
My global master key is red.
Not the first time I was wrong about something :lol:

hdrolling
06-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Are all the keystone campers different, your saying your one key opens the main door and storage?

On my Raptor, I have a key that opens both sides storage, a key for the front door, a key for the back, a key for the battery compartment and a key for the generator. I have two sets of each, but for my camper I need 5 different cut keys to access everything outside.

Stag556
06-13-2017, 04:56 AM
The dealer ended up sending me a new lock and that worked after I installed it. The keys for this lock were black.

Hdrolling, my trailer should have 1 key that opens the door and storage doors. I had an issue with a lock so now I have two.

MattE303
06-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Are all the keystone campers different, your saying your one key opens the main door and storage?

On my Raptor, I have a key that opens both sides storage, a key for the front door, a key for the back, a key for the battery compartment and a key for the generator. I have two sets of each, but for my camper I need 5 different cut keys to access everything outside.
wow, that's crazy, I thought mine was bad. I've got 2 different Global Link purple keys for the doors (main door isn't same cut as garage side door, and all my storage compartment locks are the standard CH751 key, so 3 different keys total.

Global Link makes storage compartment lock cylinders that are compatible with their door lock cylinders, so if you use their stuff, you can get everything to use a single cut of their 300 series keys. I'm planning on doing that to my Carbon, just need to figure out how to get them to sell me a master key so I can change the lock cylinders.

hdrolling
06-13-2017, 07:12 AM
wow, that's crazy, I thought mine was bad. I've got 2 different Global Link purple keys for the doors (main door isn't same cut as garage side door, and all my storage compartment locks are the standard CH751 key, so 3 different keys total.

Global Link makes storage compartment lock cylinders that are compatible with their door lock cylinders, so if you use their stuff, you can get everything to use a single cut of their 300 series keys. I'm planning on doing that to my Carbon, just need to figure out how to get them to sell me a master key so I can change the lock cylinders.

I'll have to look into that, I also forgot the padlocks on the ramp, so six keys!