PDA

View Full Version : Elkhart and Goshen

SummitPond
05-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Toured the Keystone Bullet line yesterday. Very interesting! From viewing the promotional videos in the office while waiting for the salesman to show to lead the tour, one would think that there should be no need for this forum!http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif The tour was very thorough. It was fascinating to see how the trailers are put together. I asked about the walkability of the roof; the salesman/tour guide indicated the roofs are "servicable" which means you can step on the roof trusses while performing maintenance, but you can't just walk willy-nilly anywhere you want. Just like the advice provided elsewhere on this forum!

I may have missed it beng mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but Keystone (for the Bullet line, at least) has switched away from the Lippert chassis to another; unfortunately I didn't take notes and I don't recall the manufacturer's name. The benefit is supposedly two-fold: a lighter and stronger frame (it's not an I-beam; more like a U-channel), and better tolerances in manufacturing the frame (no more need for Correct Track).

Today we went to the RV Museum/Hall of Fame. What a fantastic place! Lots of vintage trailers and motor homes on display, most of them can be entered. The museum even has a display on mobile homes and a double-wide one is parked outside for touring (there is certainly no comparison between this display model and one I lived in 45 years ago! It's really like a house.) The majority of the units on display have explanatory panels describing the history of the unit. We spent three hours there, yet it hardly seemed that long. If you are in the Elkhart, IN area, I heartily recommend visiting this museum.

We camped at the Elkhart Campground on County Road 4. Very convenient to the museum. We had a shaded site, close to two of the three bathroom/shower sites. Even though there are no gravel or concrete pads to park on, the ground was very level. Lots of activities for kids. Good laundry and shower facilities, too. And decent (and secure) internet connectibility.

Jeepshots
05-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Nice write-up! I wish we would have had the time to visit the factory as well as the museums. Also wanted to hit the salvage places in White Pigeon. Alas, we were trucking it back to Arkansas and had to roll. Perhaps someday...

Tbos
05-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. I've added it to the bucket list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk