PDA

View Full Version : Shore power problems.

Midirtfarmer
05-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Hello new keystone owner here. Just picked up my 2005 sprinter bunckhouse tonight. I noticed when plugged in I have no 120v plugs, microwave, and A/C. Upon investigation the gfi in my garage trips when ever I plug in the cable. My previous camper ran for 8 years off the same plug and adapter. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

JRTJH
05-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Is your new trailer 30 amps or 50 amps? If 50 amps, are you using a "dogbone adapter"? Did your old trailer have a GFI in it?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. We're happy that you joined us.

Midirtfarmer
05-23-2017, 07:55 PM
I think it's 30 amps. My old trailer didn't have a gfi in it. The circuit in my garage is gfi protected and it keeps tripping that one. I haven't gotten anything in the camper to work to test the gfi in there.

JRTJH
05-23-2017, 08:07 PM
With a 2005 Sprinter, I'd suspect it's 30 amps. If the power cord is "about the same diameter as your old trailer, it's probably 30 amps. Few trailers were 50 amps that long ago and the power cord is nearly double the diameter of a 30 amp cord. You'll know it if you're hauling that heavy thing around to plug in your trailer. That's only speculation on my part that your trailer is 30 amps, but probably a good guess.

You might want to verify the function of the GFI in the trailer. If it's OEM, it's 12 years old and may be faulty. To isolate which circuit is causing the problem, I'd turn off all the circuit breakers in the trailer and unplug all of the 110 volt items. Plug the trailer into your home outlet and turn on the trailer main breaker. If that trips the GFI in your house, you've got a problem either with the trailer power cord or the power distribution center. If it doesn't trip the GFI, then turn on each trailer circuit breaker, one at a time. If it trips with a specific breaker, then focus on that circuit. If it doesn't trip with any of the breakers, then start plugging your 110 volt items into their respective outlets in the trailer. Eventually you'll find the one item that causes the GFI to trip.

Good luck, and think things through as you move from "nothing powered" to "full power"... Somewhere along the process you'll find the "problem circuit"...

PARAPTOR
05-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Joh has laid out a good procedure for you to follow. Just remember small steps at a time. This should lead you to the source of your problem. Let us know what you find

xrated
05-24-2017, 06:25 AM
Many times you will experience nuisance tripping when you have a GFCI circuit feeding another circuit that has GFCI protection.

Tbos
05-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the forum. JRTH hit the nail on the head. When you are turning the circuit breakers back on turn the main 30 amp on first. Then the others one by one.
When I plug in if the box doesn't have a breaker on it I turn off my main to prevent a spark. That spark may be enough to set off your GFCI if it is touchy. Good luck trouble shooting.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW