PDA

View Full Version : Slide seal replacement ? Where to buy

Mandtra
05-21-2017, 08:48 PM
My one month out of warranty tt has a 36" rip in a vertical slide seal . Looks pretty straight forward to change . But where can I get the right one to fit model ? 2017 passport grand touring 2670bh. , Not really sure why it ripped , looks kinds dry rotted

Tbos
05-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Try Trekwood RV parts or a local dealer.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

chuckster57
05-22-2017, 09:42 AM
There are several different "profiles" so make sure you get the one that matches yours.

Here is a link to a page with several:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Gaskets-Seals-s/307.htm

Mandtra
05-22-2017, 08:14 PM
my seal is black and looks like it slides into a metal channel , im not sure it looks like any of those on the link

Mandtra
05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
is it normal for the wiper seal to fail barely out of warranty ? 13 months old

Frank G
05-23-2017, 01:58 AM
There are (2) two RV Surplus outlets in White Pigeon Michigan. I have been to both of them, Each is amazing with a huge inventory for past and present RV's.
For the best service you would need to call them as there inventory is beyond putting it on line.

Bontragers RV Surplus
www.bontragers.com

Johnson's Surplus
www.trailerrvparts.com

chuckster57
05-23-2017, 03:15 AM
is it normal for the wiper seal to fail barely out of warranty ? 13 months old

No it's not. I would inspect the slide itself before installing a new one.

Mandtra
06-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Was able to order it through keystone . Could not find it anywhere else

sourdough
06-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Was able to order it through keystone . Could not find it anywhere else

As Chuckster said, be sure an look for the reason that it failed. It sounds like there may be some problem.

Mandtra
06-02-2017, 03:51 AM
kinda looks dry rotted

Steve S
06-02-2017, 11:14 AM
That slide seal looks as in brand new condition cept for the big rip up it.:eek:
My guess is that you have a slide issue. It very well could've become *glued* to the slide by the heat and ripped when you were pulling it in. It happened to me on my last trailer.
I put a new one on and put alot of wax on the outside of the slide walls and never had that problem again.:)

Mandtra
06-02-2017, 11:21 AM
I hadn't thought of that ,

JRTJH
06-03-2017, 05:25 PM
If you haven't in the past, you might want to consider doing some "slide seal maintenance"... Once or twice a year, clean the slide seals, spray them with a "slide seal conditioner" (which is a dry silicone foam) and wipe it into the rubber seal. Let it dry and then close/open the slide to allow the seal to flex as it would during use. The silicone will help keep the seal surface lubricated, slippery and hopefully: Keep it from sticking/tearing when you activate the slide.

Not to suggest that the seal "stuck to the slide" because of something you did, or didn't do, but maintaining the seals is another of the "never-ending" maintenance items on any trailer....

That brings up the old adage, the second best day in any boater (or RV'ers) life is the day they buy their new boat (RV) and the best day is the day they sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to me, over the years, I've spent as much and possibly even more time maintaining my trailers as I have using them......

shooodog
06-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Same problem here Mandtra.. 2810BH about 3 weeks out of warranty. Dealer is contacting Keystone, we will see what they say. If you don't mind, how much did it cost you for new ones? I will take the advice of Steve and wax side of slideout to help new ones slide easier. I too think it was sticking and causing it to tear. Let me know when you get it done and how hard or easy it was. Thanks

Mandtra
06-12-2017, 01:20 PM
im not really sure what happened to my seal , maybe it stuck to the slide flange and ripped . but when i feel where it ripped it with almost no pressure it keep ripping like its dry rotted , i can literally slightly lift up on the ripped area and it will keep tearing wider . i would have thought if it tore from sticking , the area that is not ripped would be tougher

shooodog
06-12-2017, 01:53 PM
maybe there was a defect in a certain run of these seals at the manufacturer. Other then where its ripping.. it looks like the day I bought the trailer. And like I said, its only been used a total of 5-6 weeks in the last year. How much did it cost for new seals and do you have a part # so I know what to order? Still no word from dealer, hoping Keystone will help us out on this matter.

Mandtra
06-13-2017, 06:14 AM
yes , i have part numbers and can direct you where to buy , it ships directly from Keystone . But between models they use different model part numbers . can you take some pictures ? and we can see if its the same . the vertical left and right outside wiper seal is the cheapest and easiest to replace as it slides into a metal channel

shooodog
06-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Yea, don't know what I was thinking... they probably would be different part #s. Thought it might be same product and sold by the foot (wishful thinking). No pictures, trailer back at storage right now, but its ripping the exact same place that you show on your photos. Did you get yours already? Biting at the bit to get it done. Let me know when you install them. Thanks Mandtra!

Mandtra
06-13-2017, 07:49 AM
yes , my parts have already arrived . i will be replacing the seals this weekend . with 2 people it will not be that hard . the vertical wiper anyway . yes its sold by the foot .

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/accuslide/accuslide_material-list.pdf

shooodog
06-13-2017, 08:19 AM
good luck man.. hope it goes well. Probably be doing it myself soon. Is your top wiper seal damaged also?

Mandtra
06-13-2017, 09:19 AM
the top wiper seal is not torn , but does not look quiet right . kinda has a scalloped look to it if that makes sense. i have never used anything but tethford or camco seal conditioner . so i cant really see how it could be something i done . the top wiper will be more difficult to replace

rlockeby702
08-27-2017, 05:43 PM
kinda looks dry rotted

Looks just like mine. I have the same task ahead of me. I had parked with slides open for 90 days and it didn't occur to me to "loosen" them up before retraction. Live and learn.

Mandtra
08-28-2017, 07:32 AM
It may be overkill , but i spray seal conditioner on the seals every outing now . slide sure goes in and out much more smoothly