PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Price at Pilot/Love/etc Stations

TravlinOn
05-21-2017, 04:25 AM
:eek: Warning!

I travel mostly on the East side of the Mississippi and just returned from a trip from south FL to Branson, MO and back along a different route.

I was amazed to find that at several locations along the way, Pilot/Love/TA/etc the price of diesel for my truck cost 20 to 30 cents MORE PER GALLON than other gas stations that sat side by side or down the road.

I can understand a local price war, but what I observed was over hundreds of miles. I still like those stations (mostly) for a fill-up when the 5er is attached, but now I either consider other alternatives on the road or stretch the fuel in my tank to get to the cg and offload the trailer before fueling at a more reasonable price.

bsmith0404
05-21-2017, 04:35 AM
They cater to the commercial drivers. Most commercial companies get discounts, when I was leased on for transporting, we got 15 cents discounts from Pilot/Flying J and the points earned free showers.

You can ease the pain of Pilot/Flying J prices with the Good Sam Card, gets you 5 to 8 cent discount depending on your level of membership. An auxiliary fuel tank also comes in handy. I can go 1,000+ miles on a fill up. I always check fuel prices along our route and plan my stops/fill ups for the best prices. We're getting ready for a California trip next month, guess who won't be buying fuel in CA......

notanlines
05-21-2017, 05:07 AM
What ^^^^Brent said. We travel the country extensively and what you found is true coast to coast. Gas Buddy app for your phone helps a little, always get fuel at a busy clean looking station and look into a nice tank for the bed of your truck.

msubobcats
05-21-2017, 06:27 AM
They cater to the commercial drivers. Most commercial companies get discounts, when I was leased on for transporting, we got 15 cents discounts from Pilot/Flying J and the points earned free showers.

You can ease the pain of Pilot/Flying J prices with the Good Sam Card, gets you 5 to 8 cent discount depending on your level of membership. An auxiliary fuel tank also comes in handy. I can go 1,000+ miles on a fill up. I always check fuel prices along our route and plan my stops/fill ups for the best prices. We're getting ready for a California trip next month, guess who won't be buying fuel in CA......

Don't remember exactly but about 3 weeks ago our local gas price was $2.94.9 and about 2 days later it was $3.15.9. Three days later it was $3.19. I guess the gas tax increase went into effect already...

ctbruce
05-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Gas Buddy is your friend. I use it s lot and plan accordingly. Lots of times I can find diesel at a significant price difference by going a little further off the highway. Keep in mind that not all stations are trailer friendly. That is when Google Earth or street view is your friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Desert185
05-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Don't remember exactly but about 3 weeks ago our local gas price was $2.94.9 and about 2 days later it was $3.15.9. Three days later it was $3.19. I guess the gas tax increase went into effect already...

Still $2.39 in Carson City.

Memorial Day...memories of cheaper fuel prices before summer time.

chuckster57
05-21-2017, 06:49 AM

Not to derail this thread: my understanding is enough of us challenged Gov enough that it is going to ballot initiative.

FlyingJ/Loves near me is always higher but right off freeway.

concours
05-21-2017, 07:05 AM
We installed a 40 gal slip tank 3 years ago so that we can drive all day and after we unhook we use Gas Buddy for the best local prices. Having said that the highway truck stops are clean and easy to use. Also Good Sam members can apply for a Flying J credit card that gives a discount

Pull Toy
05-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Here in Ct, The Pilot at exit 93 of I95, there is 10 cent difference between cash and credit. The big rigs are mostly captive here. They have parking, fuel, food, etc... all in one spot. They pay a premium for the convenience.

Us, local, cross into RI, and pay an average 30 cents less! Guess who hasen't bought gas or diesel in CT in over 20 years? We have the second highest fuel tax in the country, behind Hawaii. We also have a diesel surtax.