PDA

View Full Version : Well that hurt..

jamesmc321
05-19-2017, 05:07 AM
Houston we have a problem...

Ok so the setup, keystone summerland 2800, equalizer hitch (rated 12k).

So went to storage (about 1.5 miles from house) yesterday to pickup the camper to load up for weekend...made it about .5 miles and BOOM, jerk, BOOM...camper popped off the ball and slammed into rear bumper...luckily was only going about 15-20 so was able to bring to a stop. Hopped out and looked...everything on the tongue was set, locked, pin still in,etc...

After looking at the ball on the receiver in more detail (after made it home again) unnoticed that it looks like the clasp on the trailer is hitting just below center of the ball (see images)

So what my question issss....WTF??? There is no adjustments in the trailer tongue so not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated

whitmw
05-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Houston we have a problem...

Ok so the setup, keystone summerland 2800, equalizer hitch (rated 12k).

So went to storage (about 1.5 miles from house) yesterday to pickup the camper to load up for weekend...made it about .5 miles and BOOM, jerk, BOOM...camper popped off the ball and slammed into rear bumper...luckily was only going about 15-20 so was able to bring to a stop. Hopped out and looked...everything on the tongue was set, locked, pin still in,etc...

After looking at the ball on the receiver in more detail (after made it home again) unnoticed that it looks like the clasp on the trailer is hitting just below center of the ball (see images)

So what my question issss....WTF??? There is no adjustments in the trailer tongue so not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated

I would check the cup on the tongue and make sure there nothing keeping it from dropping further down on the ball. Bearing that I would check the arm in the cup that latches to the bottom of the ball to secure it. It may be bent and not dropping all the way down.

jamesmc321
05-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Doesn't look like anything is stopping it..

ctbruce
05-19-2017, 06:23 AM
I think I'd get down next to it and observe first hand what is going on. Something is keeping it from seating properly and needs to be checked carefully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
05-19-2017, 06:42 AM
It may be academic but is the proper size ball being used?

jamesmc321
05-19-2017, 06:43 AM
It may be academic but is the proper size ball being used?

Yeah... 2 5/6". Had camper / setup for almost 4 years with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRTJH
05-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Just a hunch, but you might try spraying well with brake cleaner, then relubing the "inner workings"... If that doesn't help, I'd make a WAG that maybe someone tried to lower the coupler onto a ball with the coupler closed and bent something ???? I'd try cleaning and relubing first.

sourdough
05-19-2017, 07:10 AM
I had a friend that lowered his trailer onto the ball without pulling the locking bar back. Lowered it all the way and tried to make it latch before noticing what he had done. When he raised the tongue, pulled the latch back and re-lowered it it did not want to sit on the ball right. I had to go but when I left he was trying to pry the latch bar down inside the coupler head. He later told me that he got it working so......... Maybe something like that? The pic doesn't seem to show that though.

jamesmc321
05-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Well cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and relubed...hopefully this was just a user error. [emoji24]

srvnt
05-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Looks like the coupler did not drop all the way down, I've seen this a few times even with experienced towers. From the pic it looks like the coupler underjaw was riding on top of the ball.

Outback 325BH
05-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Something to remember...

If you lower the coupler on the ball... then pull your truck forward SLIGHTLY (no gas, just idle) in order to seat the ball all the way forward into the coupler, the latch will snap in place with ease -- no forcing necessary.

If you always do this, you will always know everything is OK. If you ever have to force the latch, it might mean something is wrong. (I always like to hear that latch snap into place without any effort.)

I suspect the coupler was lowered onto the ball with the latch already closed.

gearhead
05-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Be careful messing with that latch. Don't be sticking your finger up in there. Lower the tongue jack and start over.
Contractor at work about lost his finger doing that. You know, the whole 9 yards...lost time accident, call out the investigation team, special safety meeting....

BuxCamper
05-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Something to remember...

If you lower the coupler on the ball... then pull your truck forward SLIGHTLY (no gas, just idle) in order to seat the ball all the way forward into the coupler, the latch will snap in place with ease -- no forcing necessary.

If you always do this, you will always know everything is OK. If you ever have to force the latch, it might mean something is wrong. (I always like to hear that latch snap into place without any effort.)

I suspect the coupler was lowered onto the ball with the latch already closed.

I like to have the hitch ball slightly ahead of the cup. This way the camper has to reach for the ball when you lower the hitch down. The latch plate them snaps into place when you close the lever.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Outback 325BH
05-20-2017, 03:15 PM
I like to have the hitch ball slightly ahead of the cup. This way the camper has to reach for the ball when you lower the hitch down. The latch plate them snaps into place when you close the lever.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I do that too! It is nice to hear a clean "clang" when it snaps into place.

Audible feedback is a good thing in order to ensure everything engages and nothing is bound up.

jamesmc321
05-22-2017, 05:19 AM
thanks everyone for responses.. made it to camp and back with no issues - hopefully just a user error issue the other day

Southwestern Sportfishing
05-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Seems to me it should have popped off when you set the equalizer bars....

Outback 325BH
05-23-2017, 01:02 PM

The WDH bars increase the coupler's downward pressure SIGNIFICANTLY on the ball. If your tongue weight is 1000 lbs, after you install the bars the pressure on the ball is probably 2000 pounds or more.

Weight is shifted, however the ball and coupler are the fulcrum. The pressure between the two are much greater than the tongue weight alone.

jamesmc321
05-31-2017, 06:41 AM

You are probably correct, however I typically don't use the bars to bring it from storage to the house as it is only 1.5 mile away and none of the roads are over 30 mph spd limits

notanlines
05-31-2017, 12:12 PM
The two of you need to read Outback's post of 5-23. It will not pop off the ball; it will increase the pressure on the ball.

Outback 325BH
05-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Bars or no, I would consider yourself lucky.