PDA

View Full Version : Speakers and adapter rings

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Getting the trailer ready for a weekend next week and noticed one of my fabulous OEM Magnadyne speakers had the center cone come loose. They are WR45B 5.25 inch. When I went to the stereo store, they had a nicer pair but they were too "deep" to fit the hole.

I'm thinking 6.5" speakers would be nicer, and I have searched the www for some kind of adaptor ring so I don't have to cut the hole in the wall bigger. Anybody have a good source for Plastic rings either white or black? Current speakers are black and sidewall is white. Thanks, I can fix anything but I don't think I could fix the sidewall if I slipped while cutting the hole bigger. :eek:

the sodfather
05-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Check Crutchfield.com. They may have your answer.

the sodfather
05-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Holy crap! I may have just helped chuckster57!!!!!

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Holy crap! I may have just helped chuckster57!!!!!

You did....Thank you :)

I did look. I will admit I am a bit confused. Since my speakers are 5.25 wide and very shallow, I'm trying to figure out what ring I would need to mount a 6.5 wide speaker. I'm thinking 1" thick would give me the depth clearance needed. NOT an auto/marine stereo person.

the sodfather
05-14-2017, 05:53 PM

I did look. I will admit I am a bit confused. Since my speakers are 5.25 wide and very shallow, I'm trying to figure out what ring I would need to mount a 6.5 wide speaker. I'm thinking 1" thick would give me the depth clearance needed. NOT an auto/marine stereo person.

I'll bet if you give them a call, they will have an adapter. I was into the car audio scene years ago in my better hearing days. Their are a few companies that made adapters to up size and down size speakers. If you don't like the color, paint it. ;).

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 05:58 PM
I did see a toll free number on the website, thanks again.

sourdough
05-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Crutchfield has always been very knowledgeable and helpful from my experience.

BuxCamper
05-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Crutchfield may be a little more expensive but they offer almost turn key kits and have very knowledgeable staff. Considering they send me several mailings a year and I only buy from them every 3-5 years they very worthy of my business.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Steve S
05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

You'll need the 6.5 ring and the standard thickness of them is 1". You can order them in many different colors which is a good thing.:) I've done many of these conversions in houses but I bought the parts local so that's not much help. I know that with some searching Amazon sells them.:)

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 07:12 PM
I looked real quick at Amazon too. We have 3 stereo shops in this midsize town, so I may have to spend a day off (what's that?) looking in person with measurements. Thank you for responding.

Steve S
05-14-2017, 07:53 PM
I looked real quick at Amazon too. We have 3 stereo shops in this midsize town, so I may have to spend a day off (what's that?) looking in person with measurements. Thank you for responding.

That's what I personally would do because you can look at them, feel how tough they are and also drop a speaker in the rings to make sure that they fit.

Milocka
05-16-2017, 10:33 AM
I made my own spacers out of MDF, coated with white waterproof epoxy. Works great! Custom matched to the exact diameter and depth I needed