PDA

View Full Version : Door Alarm

srvnt
05-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Ever been in a questionable site and felt leaving your trailer for all to see give you an uneasy feeling? I know if someone wants in, they are going to get in. If they want the whole trailer even. Very few spots camping or parking have been the case but I installed a cheap door alarm (12 bucks from Wally World) in hopes it might scare away a potential intruder. It's a contact alarm not a motion alarm because of our doggie and works pretty good, and its loud. I would use this only in those situations, not say, in a nice CG. Do any of you have a nice alarm setup? I don't know if the contents of the trailer justify the cost of a really good alarm.

nellie1289
05-14-2017, 02:10 PM
My alarm is made by Glock.

PARAPTOR
05-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Key word "doggie" use and have used trained German Shepherds. Worked well for me

srvnt
05-14-2017, 02:20 PM

I also have an alarm glock among others haha, not worried at all when I'm there, but if I'm not there...

srvnt
05-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Key word "doggie" use and have used trained German Shepherds. Worked well for me

Me too. But sometimes the doggie goes with us, like out hiking and stuff.

66joej
05-14-2017, 03:04 PM
If anyone has had a Jack Russell terrier you know any other type of alarm is redundant. This guy can hear a pin drop and reacts.:D

NorskeBob
05-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Know of many that have multi-state permits

WaltBennett
05-14-2017, 04:12 PM
While I've nothing against you 9 mil folks (or .45, or assault weapons, or whatever!), would you think about how thin the walls are on campers & RVs for a minute? Someone goes unloading on an idiot trying to get into your home on wheels and they just might off a few kids or adults 20' away. A .38 with hollow points is more than enough to ruin the fools day without maybe ruining others as well. I'd bet a 9 would go through two trailers/RVs, a .45 I know would go through probably four. Why risk a manslaughter charge for an innocent's death?

Outback 325BH
05-14-2017, 05:11 PM
10mm baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourfourto
05-14-2017, 05:16 PM
While I've nothing against you 9 mil folks (or .45, or assault weapons, or whatever!), would you think about how thin the walls are on campers & RVs for a minute? Someone goes unloading on an idiot trying to get into your home on wheels and they just might off a few kids or adults 20' away. A .38 with hollow points is more than enough to ruin the fools day without maybe ruining others as well. I'd bet a 9 would go through two trailers/RVs, a .45 I know would go through probably four. Why risk a manslaughter charge for an innocent's death?

I bring a .22 with a stun gun and have good aim:D

JRTJH
05-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Let's consider that this thread is about a "siren alarm" not a "bang alarm" and get back on topic, please.......

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Ok folks, let's leave the guns out of the conversation. we all know what happens when the thread goes down that road. I am NOT anti gun (retired law enforcement), but as has been stated before:

This is a FAMILY oriented forum, and since we have members in other countries that don't share the same gun laws as the US, we try to keep those type of discussions out. Thank you everybody for your understanding and cooperation.

I see John typed a bit faster than me

66joej
05-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks chuckster57. In Canada it's almost akin to a terrorist attack to even talk guns. I rest my case that using the JR terrier is cheap? and easy. No mechanical breakdown i.e. batteries, etc.

srvnt
05-14-2017, 06:59 PM
So anyways if your not in your trailer, and your dog or attack kitty isn't either. anyone use an extra deterrent like an alarm?

Steve S
05-14-2017, 06:59 PM
The talk about carrying guns while camping with kids all around makes people from different countries without the hostile attitudes makes you guys look nuts and keeps people away from visiting your country.:facepalm: Like what kind of sane person needs an assault rifle while camping in a safe environment? Or is it really that bad in the States like the news reports?:popcorn:
Back on topic: I think that in my case an alarm would be good if I was going for a walk and I didn't fully close my door and it going off while I'm say 20' away then I could just turn around and close it.
I can't ever recall locking any doors in the past ever as replacing a door is costly and would be a pia compared to someone stealing booze and food from the fridge.

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Having spent YEARS locking people IN, I will deadbolt my door even if I go to the facilities 5 spaces away.

Steve S
05-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Having spent YEARS locking people IN, I will deadbolt my door even if I go to the facilities 5 spaces away.

Why would you lock people in a trailer? Is this the new sales tactic?:lol::eek:

chuckster57
05-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Yeah. Lock 'em in with my Flame point Siamese. They beg to get out when I get back.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_238339_0_47f9afb49a96d128bc46878363defa8b.jpg

srvnt
05-14-2017, 09:03 PM
The talk about carrying guns while camping with kids all around makes people from different countries without the hostile attitudes makes you guys look nuts and keeps people away from visiting your country.:facepalm: Like what kind of sane person needs an assault rifle while camping in a safe environment? Or is it really that bad in the States like the news reports?:popcorn:
Back on topic: I think that in my case an alarm would be good if I was going for a walk and I didn't fully close my door and it going off while I'm say 20' away then I could just turn around and close it.
I can't ever recall locking any doors in the past ever as replacing a door is costly and would be a pia compared to someone stealing booze and food from the fridge.

Biting my tongue so hard right now.

fourfourto
05-15-2017, 04:23 AM
yep

pro gets bashed

con gets to talk and talk and put down USA :banghead:

And I guess I shouldn't drive my car also as it gets 6 MPG ?

BTW alarm is good idea you never know might come in handy stopping for dinner on the road in unfamiliar area.
Carry a lot more than beer and soda

JRTJH
05-15-2017, 06:12 AM
And with the added comments since two requests to please get back on topic and stop the gun/anti-gun rhetoric, this thread is closed. OP, if you still have any questions about your door alarm, please start a new thread.

Dave W
05-15-2017, 06:13 AM
I have the same alarm as the OP which was used in our last 5er but to date hasn't been installed in this one. They work well and are just loud enough to make a would be intruder consider another RV or go away altogether. Our two poodlepups instead will create a clamor/alarm which is much bigger then they are.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_238378_0_c80646a5f8950092b758cda77b98b0ad.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Irelandschild/media/Other%20stuff/8227f2a7-aa3a-4121-b80e-42f510365a85_zpsdxuwgqmm.jpg.html)

No, they are NOT show dogs but our youngest, best behaved kids.