PDA

View Full Version : Painting the 'diamond plate'

15hideout27rbwe
05-12-2017, 07:22 PM
I saw another Hideout recently with black diamond plate on the bottom front. This one was just like mine, with the brown front skin. Personally I think the black looks muuuch better, especially with the black frame, battery box and tank cover.

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

bobbecky
05-12-2017, 09:46 PM
You should find a primer that is compatible with aluminum first. Then you just use whatever paint the will work with the primer. Just keep some extra paint for touch-ups when the paint gets chipped from road debris.

66joej
05-13-2017, 04:21 AM
I saw another Hideout recently with black diamond plate on the bottom front. This one was just like mine, with the brown front skin. Personally I think the black looks muuuch better, especially with the black frame, battery box and tank cover.

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

As noted above a good primer is necessary. Also about the only paint that will adhere is gravel guard (the kind used on rocker mouldings) without constant touching up. I believe the manufacturers leave the aluminum checker plate natural is so it will be maintenance free. JMO

Tbos
05-13-2017, 05:14 AM
You might try a sample section with several coats of Plastic-dip. It sticks to just about anything and can be pealed back off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
05-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Scuff it up with red scotch bright pads, then paint it with self etching primer. after that you can paint it with your paint of choice. Personally, I'm a fan of Krylon spray paint.

JRTJH
05-13-2017, 05:43 AM
Not all "diamond plate" is aluminum. I believe, for weight saving purposes, Hideout is one of those models. Some trailers in the Keystone line use a thin, plastic sheeting that "looks like, but ain't" so be sure of what you have before you start scuffing it/painting it.... If it's aluminum, no problem, but if it's molded plastic or vinyl, the surface coating may not be compatible with many spray "top coatings".....

Desert185
05-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Given the propensity for rock nicks and chips on the front of the trailer, unless you have an effective mud flap system, I would Rhino line the diamond plate.

gbsb
05-13-2017, 10:29 PM
My 2017 Hideout is aluminum and is also black from factory. I know it is aluminum because I jacked the trailer to tight and punched a hole in it with the corner of my flatbed. Now I have to figure out how to patch a hole and make it look good without replacing the whole panel.

srvnt
05-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Gotta paint mine because it blinds my eyes when backing up at night! You'd think they would know that before putting them on thousands of units.

chuckster57
05-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Gotta paint mine because it blinds my eyes when backing up at night! You'd think they would know that before putting them on thousands of units.

Black shows rock chips easily, chrome finish doesn't show chips as easily.

srvnt
05-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Black shows rock chips easily, chrome finish doesn't show chips as easily.

I think I'll paint it white and live with the touch ups.
Anythings better than getting blinded by my factory chrome finish.

Desert185
05-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Ace Hardware and other outlets sell a bed liner type spray in a rattle can. I think different colors, too. Probably more durable than paint.