PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast holding road water?

MTBlazer89
05-12-2017, 11:59 AM
I've only had my trailer for about a week, but I noticed there is a wet spot under the right front corner all the time. The camper is parked where the right front is the low corner and has been there since we brought it home.

Now I only picked this camper up last week and have not used any of the tanks or water features at all, but it was very very rainy on the 9 hour trip home.

My question is, Is it normal for the coroplast to hold residual water from traveling in wet conditions, or should it be fairly sealed to the rails?

Tbos
05-12-2017, 02:47 PM
I don't think it should be holding water. Some will tape the edges with gorilla tape. You need to get it dried out before you decide what you want to do.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

chuckster57
05-12-2017, 03:27 PM
It's not normal for water to collect in the underbelly. If the front edge isn't flush all the way across then rain water can get in.

Sometimes the factory doesn't get it flat and sealed everywhere. We use "great stuff" expanding foam in any voids we find. Look around the sewer drains and a spot often missed is where the brake wires come out and the spring perches. Gorilla tape will do the job too, but expanding foam will seal better.

sourdough
05-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Our front edge of the coroplast wasn't sealed worth a flip. Didn't know it until we hit some heavy rains around Aleandria, LA. Stopped to get gas and saw water pouring out of the front bottom of the trailer and the coroplast peeled back - sickening because it was still pouring and we had to roll.

I had the dealership replace the coroplast and place a metal shield across the front of the frame/coroplast and seal it. Works super. And, done under warranty!!

66joej
05-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Hey sourdough any chance of a picture? Sounds like a good idea for preventive maintenance. Thanks

sourdough
05-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Hey sourdough any chance of a picture? Sounds like a good idea for preventive maintenance. Thanks

I've never posted a pic on this forum but I will look into what's required. I just got the trailer back this evening (after 2 months) from having other mods done. I'll see if I can't get some pics (camera-SD card) and post it on here so you folks can see.

It hasn't been an intrusive modification. When the coroplast peeled back due to the rain we replaced the coroplast with the front shield on warranty. When the tire took out part of the underside Geico paid to replace the entire underside again along with putting the mod back.

chuckster57
05-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Some manufacturers use screw rail, like what's used on the front and rear roof seams. With the close spacing of the screw holes and the metal strip, the coroplast doesn't have a chance to pucker and not lay flat.

MTBlazer89
05-12-2017, 08:41 PM
I'll look closer in the morning and see what's going on. I can snap a couple pictures too.

JRTJH
05-13-2017, 06:18 AM
Our Springdale didn't have a Coroplast underlining. It was an open frame construction with only DARCO covering the lower side of the floor components and the tanks were open below that. I insulated that space and installed Coroplast to help extend winter camping capability. The Coroplast "sagged" in the center and was open at the front and rear of the underside. I used 2" wide aluminum carpet edge strips to span the distance between the chassis rails and to support the Coroplast. I also installed a strip along the front edge and the rear edge of the underlining to seal it from water intrusion. Lowe's has 72" strips that are pre-drilled and worked very well for my purpose. Just use "self-tapping" sheet metal screws to install the strip along the front edge (after sealing the Coroplast to the frame with foam) and it'll be "water-tight" for the duration......

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-2-in-x-72-in-Gold-Carpet-Trim/3305910

xrated
05-13-2017, 06:32 AM
After reading this thread, it's time to check ours out.....never thought about it before this.