PDA

View Full Version : Route Advice: Michigan to WA State

DHawk
05-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I will be picking up our new 5th Wheel in Muskegon, MI and returning to Spokane. There are several route options through Wisconsin, MN and the Dakotas. On the trip out we are going through Wyoming and hitting Mt. Rushmore, but I'm not sure on the best route for the return trip.

Does anyone have local knowledge or towing concerns with taking the northern route on I94 through Minneapolis and North Dakota vs. staying on I90 through South Dakota? Is the scenery much different on the two routes? Any special speed limits for a truck with a 5th wheel?

We won't be stopping much on the drive home except to sleep. The family will be eagerly awaiting our new toy!

Thank you.

---------------------------------
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
2017 Cougar 336 BHS

Jeepshots
05-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Congrats on the Cougar! You getting it from Lakeshore RV? Got my Bullet from them - drove up from Arkansas to get it.

DHawk
05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Congrats on the Cougar! You getting it from Lakeshore RV? Got my Bullet from them - drove up from Arkansas to get it.

Thank you, and yes! Worked with Steve at Lakeshore RV...great service and a price that was $5k lower than local options even with shipping. My brother was wanting to get away so we are taking a road trip to get it and save a little more.

Tbos
05-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Enjoy your new Cougar. Have a safe trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

66joej
05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Have driven both routes and I90 seemed the easiest. Mind you we went north at I15 to Calgary so don't know about Snoqualmie pass.

DHawk
05-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Have driven both routes and I90 seemed the easiest. Mind you we went north at I15 to Calgary so don't know about Snoqualmie pass.

Thank you! Fortunately Spokane is on the eastern border of Washington so I don't have to hit Snoqualmie...but I have pulled a trailer over that pass several times. It's not bad at all. Lookout Pass between MT and ID is much worse, but there is no reasonable way around hitting that one.

notanlines
05-12-2017, 01:22 PM
We have driven (and towed) both routes many times and there is nothing to make one better than the other. Enjoy your good mileage heading east through the Dakotas because going back the headwinds will eat the innards out of your billfold at the fuel pump. It would be my choice to take I-94 back because you have already seen I-90 and what is along the way. My preference would to follow US 2 the entire way, but it is a little slower than the interstate.