PDA

View Full Version : New Michelin Defenders

sourdough
05-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Bought a new set of Michelin Defenders today for the truck (285/60 20). It was the culmination of several different searches.

My thoughts (after 60 miles) is that they are quieter than the Firestone TransForce tires I had (OEM).....but they had 49,400 on them. I like the full depth siping vs just partial cuts. They drive good. Time will tell how they work but wanted newer tires to kick around in the CO forests come June.

I have to give kudos to DT. I was going back and forth between the TransForce and Defenders. The Firestone tires were considerably cheaper but I'm still not sold on Firestone - although these have been great tires. I told the guy at the counter that. We discussed the price (301 per tire), add ons, tread depth, siping etc. As we talked the manager came and stood at the side. The person I was talking to was looking at availability and said they didn't have 4, they would have to come from Houston. The manager said "let me look at that". Then said we have 4 here in town right now and I can have them here in 30 minutes and you will be out of here in 45. I told him (as I had told the other guy) that I wanted to wait a couple of weeks and get my full 50k out of the old tires. He said "what"? "You want to wait 600 miles?" What if I just take $100 off right now? We discussed a bit and I told them to do it. Come to find out, in the end, they took $200 off the price of the tires. Instead of $301 per tire (my local tire store wanted $358) they sold them to me for $250 each!!!

When the guy went out to the truck with me we measured the tires on it. He looked at them and said "you're getting rid of these?" and I told him yes. He said they look good. I asked if he had brought something to measure tread depth and he said yes. I told him they will be around 7 or 8/32nds....and they were. 2 at 7, 1 at 8 and 1 at 11 (it had been replaced). Maybe that's why I got a good deal?

Needless to say I was VERY pleased with the pricing and installation. The manager brought the truck to me, shook my hand and told me they were glad to do it and how much they appreciated my business and loyalty. I used to stick with the local tire store but their prices have just not kept up and now they can't balance a 20" wheel for nothing....and that's all I have on my new cars.....so, DT....thanks!

66joej
05-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately we don't have Discount Tire here in Canada.

Pmedic4
05-09-2017, 06:52 PM
We just put Michelin Defenders on our Ford Explorer, at it was right at $900 from Sam's Club. I guess the reason why I responded, the salesman said the Defenders are a 'Walmart's exclusive'. You showed they aren't, and looking online, I see them at several other distributors.

BTW, the Explorer isn't our TV.

sourdough
05-09-2017, 08:27 PM
We just put Michelin Defenders on our Ford Explorer, at it was right at $900 from Sam's Club. I guess the reason why I responded, the salesman said the Defenders are a 'Walmart's exclusive'. You showed they aren't, and looking online, I see them at several other distributors.

BTW, the Explorer isn't our TV.

Hmmm. Sounds like Sam's has a pretty good price on them - maybe...I'm assuming you're talking about the same size tire. I have a '17 explorer but don't think the 285/60 20 tires would fit - maybe 255/55 20? (memory).

As a separate note, I don't use Walmart/Sam's for anything pertaining to tires or vehicle maintenance....I've met many of their "techs".......

the sodfather
05-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Discount Tire is great. (I hope I don't regret saying that). I have spend a lot of money with them. Not bragging, but when I come in, a few of the guys know me by name...

bsmith0404
05-11-2017, 03:35 AM
I love DT. The local shop here knows me very well. I've bought so many tires from them that I should have bought stock as well. They always give me a great deal. I went in yesterday to get a balance and rotation on my daughter's car. As I walked in the front door, the store manager was walking out into the shop, saw me and turned around and came over to shake my hand and see how I was doing.

My dad has been very impressed with DT as well. They don't have one in WI, so when he needs new tires he just waits until they plan a visit to NM.

The guys in the shop also recognize me when I stop in. Every now and then when I'm getting some work done I'll bring in a bag of breakfast burritos. It's amazing what showing a little appreciation for their hard work will get you. IMO, you can't find a better tire store.

Desert185
05-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Dittos on DT. I like their price matching policy. I show the ad on my phone and they match the price.

We had Defenders on the wife's Volvo XC70 and they were noisy as heck. Took them off early. For some reason, the tread on the crossover version is different than on the LT, pickup version. We replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S. Best tire yet on the Volvo. FWIW...

sourdough
06-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Just wanted to update on the performance of the Michelins. I know some have mentioned the possibility of buying them.

Got back this afternoon from CO and now have about 1800 miles on them. Took the truck (wanted the room for grandgirls) so got to work out the new tires. I have to say that I am more than pleased with them. They are quieter by far than the OEM Firestone TransForce tires. They are smoother as well. When transitioning from one pavement surface to another it is almost imperceptible vs lots of noise from the OEMs. They take transition strips and bumps better as well. They seem to ride so much "softer" than the other tires. It's really pretty impressive for a truck tire. I am sure it is due to the full depth siping vs partial on many/most tires. My only concern with that is treadwear since deep siping can expedite wear.

These tires have a 50k treadwear rating as did the OEM tires. The OEMs were pulled off at 49,400 and had 7-8/32nds left. I hope these tires do as well. I have not pulled the trailer with them yet (must 60 miles) but have every confidence they will be better than the OEMs.

Just wanted to post this for anyone thinking about them. From my experience thus far I give them a hearty thumbs up.

sourdough
06-22-2017, 03:57 PM
"We replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S. Best tire yet on the Volvo. FWIW..."

I put the Michelin Premiers on my 4Runner and loved them. Far, far better than the BFGs I had put on previously.

Desert185
06-22-2017, 06:37 PM
"We replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S. Best tire yet on the Volvo. FWIW..."

I put the Michelin Premiers on my 4Runner and loved them. Far, far better than the BFGs I had put on previously.

Funny how the Defenders are such a good LT tire, but are really noisy on the smaller crossover size. Too bad, they were wearing very well.

bsmith0404
06-23-2017, 04:12 AM
They are a great tire, but I doubt they will wear as well as the TransForce tires. The full depth siping will most likely prevent them from being a 70k mile tire. Maybe someone who never tows or puts heavy loads on them or is willing to run them down to 3/32 might get that. but those of us who test the tires abilities and take them off with what some would still call a lot of tread won't. I quit giving my old tires back to DT and started selling them on CL for $25 each. It's amazing how happy people are to get tires with 5 or 6/32 tread.

One thing that I have noticed from Michelin tires is that I have never had a problem with them meeting their mileage warranty so 50k+ is definitely in their future.

Jeepman
07-26-2017, 11:02 AM
I have had Michelins ltx at, bridgestone dueler at, revo 2, goodyear, wrangler gsa,rts, and bfgoodrich commercial traction t/a. I use the Michelin LTX/MS2 now and only them. I have burned through 7 sets now. All averaging 70k miles before I replace them. I drive a 2006 Suburban. One set currently 18k I bought from tire rack. I also drive an All wheel drive 1/2 ton cargo van loaded. These tires wear great, great highway traction, excellent wet traction, best non winter tire for ice. They even are decent in 2+ feet of snow. (Jeep). I average 6-7k miles a month in my cargo van. I drive the snow belts of Lake Superior. When aired up to full load capacity they handle great for towing. I upgraded the Suburban to a higher load range. Be sure to get the Light truck series.

sourdough
07-26-2017, 12:15 PM
They are a great tire, but I doubt they will wear as well as the TransForce tires. The full depth siping will most likely prevent them from being a 70k mile tire. Maybe someone who never tows or puts heavy loads on them or is willing to run them down to 3/32 might get that. but those of us who test the tires abilities and take them off with what some would still call a lot of tread won't. I quit giving my old tires back to DT and started selling them on CL for $25 each. It's amazing how happy people are to get tires with 5 or 6/32 tread.

One thing that I have noticed from Michelin tires is that I have never had a problem with them meeting their mileage warranty so 50k+ is definitely in their future.

Yes, I was/am concerned about the full depth siping. It does make for a great, quiet ride but wear may be a different thing. I guess the upside is that I take tires off at 40-50k regardless and will sooner if needed. I won't run any tire down to 3/32, 5/32 for that matter. I'm kind of stuck on what I can put on the truck. Not many offerings in the 285/60R20 size. But with the Defender and the TransForce, which proved to be a much better tire than I thought it would, I should be good.

sourdough
12-20-2017, 02:51 PM
A quick update on the Michelin Defender tires I put on the truck.

They now have over 10k on them and I have to say they are the quietest truck tire I've ever driven. That is probably due to the siping but I'm sure tread compound has something to so with it as well. I don't have a tread gauge but I can say the tread still looks new. I was afraid they would wear out very fast.
Handling is above average, wet pavement performance is excellent, light mud is good.

One thing I believe I've found; in 3 round trips to FL and many other shorter trips with the Firestone TransForce ATs I had never received a ding of any kind on the front of the trailer. This trip to FL (one way) is the first long trip with the trailer on these tires and I have probably 8 dings in the front of the trailer due to rocks. I suspect this is due to 1) full depth siping letting the rocks work into the rubber, 2) rubber compound and 3) there are 4 rows in the width of the tread vs 3 on the Firestone which probably lets I pick up more rocks. Still love the tires just have to get some mud flaps.....so I'll put that post elsewhere.

Tinner12002
12-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Just put Michelins on my truck after both front factory Nexen tires had tread separation at 28K miles. Decided 2 weeks later to pull the trigger on the rear tires also as we were heading to Talladega with the new RV and didn't want to take a chance on issues with the rears. Like sourdough said they, are much quieter and I believe they ride smoother also but then I've always been a fan of Michelin tires, always had great performance from them. They will probably always be my first go to tire.

Javi
12-21-2017, 03:26 AM
Happy so far with my Michelin Defenders as well.. right at 7500 miles on them so far.. way better tire than the Generals that came on the truck, especially on wet roads

jsmith948
12-21-2017, 05:37 AM
Happy so far with my Michelin Defenders as well.. right at 7500 miles on them so far.. way better tire than the Generals that came on the truck, especially on wet roadsWholeheartedly agree. Put the Defenders on before our 6300+ mile trip this past fall. Best, quietest tire I've had on a pickup.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

byrdr1
12-21-2017, 05:58 AM
DT put my 4 new Goodyear Endurance on my camper this fall for 608.00 out the door.
metal valve stems installed(the ford kind, I ordered online based on recommendations). Balanced them too. I had to take two at a time. Just because camper was out of it.
I DID not buy the extended warranty.
BUT I have bought several sets from DT lately and cant beat their pricing.
PLUS it helps when you know the assistant store manager.\
randy

Dave W
12-21-2017, 09:41 AM
The Michelin Defenders I put on my truck now have 25,333 miles, of which about 17,000 miles towing our 5er. They started out at 13.5 32nds and now are at 10.5 32nds. Based on the fact that the Firestone TransForce (~35K) and original Continentals (~50K) am more then happy as those two had only a total of ~85,000 miles and were 'shot' with less then 4 32nds. The Michelins are waaaaay better in snow and I have yet to feel uncomfortable while driving in heavy rain. If I have any complaint, it's that they are quite a bit rougher riding at the door post psig but they are the optional 275/70-18 vs the original 275/65-18 inch to pickup ~225 lbs capacity/tire. Heck, the Michelins may even go on the 5er when the current General LTs time out as they for sure aren't wearing out:D

dcg9381
12-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info here. Like many Ram owners, I have Nexen tires - 275/65-18 on a 1-ton dually. I got about 22k out of mine (50% towing) before they were at the treadwear markers in front. A friend with a 2014 got about 20k out of his before he had tread separation... So we'll look to Michelin Defenders, even though they seem to be about 20% more expensive than the Nexen.

sourdough
12-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info here. Like many Ram owners, I have Nexen tires - 275/65-18 on a 1-ton dually. I got about 22k out of mine (50% towing) before they were at the treadwear markers in front. A friend with a 2014 got about 20k out of his before he had tread separation... So we'll look to Michelin Defenders, even though they seem to be about 20% more expensive than the Nexen.

IMO I think you'll find the Michelins are a far better tire than Nexen and worth every cent.....unless they have been marked up too far.

notanlines
12-21-2017, 03:15 PM
I simply cannot imagine getting 20K out of a new set of tires. And who out there has even HEARD of Nexen tires? This is the brand you get from the Dodge factory?

sourdough
12-21-2017, 05:48 PM
I agree with Jim. I've had lots of vehicles of all kinds, and lots and lots of tires. With the exception of the 60's (which I can't remember) I've not had tires done in at 20k. I did have a set go south quickly at about 30k when the alignment was off and the folks that aligned it made it worse (2003 Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road) - cost me a grand on trade in because I didn't want to buy new tires and keep the truck that long (I did have the front end repaired prior to trade in). Another case was with my Mustang, Chevy Nova (64), and various other "play" toys where I either burned them off or tore them up.

When I get rid of tires at 40-50k my dealer always asks "why?". I just do. When I bought the new Defenders all the old tires had 7-8 32nds at a little less than 50k (FirestoneTransforce).

Gegrad
12-21-2017, 05:59 PM
I've had my defenders on for about 8500 miles since February and they have been incredible. Ridicuously good traction and a smooth ride. Best decision on tires I have made on a car/truck in a long time.

Tinner12002
12-22-2017, 02:39 AM

I feel you won't regret your decision by having the benefit of a smoother ride, better tread wear and piece of mind!

Tinner12002
12-22-2017, 02:41 AM
I simply cannot imagine getting 20K out of a new set of tires. And who out there has even HEARD of Nexen tires? This is the brand you get from the Dodge factory?

Yes, for several years now.

Harleydodge
12-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Can confirm my 2017 Built in January arrived with them (Nexen's) on it.
Watching post with interest.:popcorn:

Also, the people who work HERE (https://www.nexentireusa.com/)
Have likely heard of them as well

sourdough
12-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Can confirm my 2017 Built in January arrived with them (Nexen's) on it.
Watching post with interest.:popcorn:

Also, the people who work HERE (https://www.nexentireusa.com/)
Have likely heard of them as well

Guess the car makers are doing what the RV makers are doing and going for the cheapest things they can put on their vehicles. My 2017 Explorer came with Hankook tires on it. I almost didn't buy it just because of that. Went ahead and bought it and those tires were just as terrible as the only other set of Hankook's I've owned. One of the primary reasons I dumped the vehicle in 11 months and 9k miles.

hornet28
12-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Guess the car makers are doing what the RV makers are doing and going for the cheapest things they can put on their vehicles.

That's the name of the game. Think about this, the astronauts went to the moon in a space craft built with parts from the lowest bidder. It's been that way with vehicles for a long time it's nothing new.

sourdough
12-22-2017, 01:25 PM
That's the name of the game. Think about this, the astronauts went to the moon in a space craft built with parts from the lowest bidder. It's been that way with vehicles for a long time it's nothing new.

It hasn't been but a very few years that new trucks were coming with Michelins, Ford I believe. They haven't been skimping like they are now to my recollection.

ctbruce
12-22-2017, 02:36 PM
My '17 Silverado 3500 came with Michelins on it. Love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

B-O-B'03
12-22-2017, 08:39 PM
I put the defenders on the Wife's truck a little over a year ago, have just under 15 K miles on them so far and love them.

Tread still looks brand new and I expect them to out last the Duelers that came from the factory by a large margin.

They are way quieter, with wet and dry traction that is excellent.

I am very happy with my decision.

-Brian

the sodfather
12-23-2017, 06:55 PM
I’ve been through 3 sets of these. They are awesome. One set had 103,000 miles on them.

sourdough
07-11-2019, 05:27 PM
This is an old thread I started and just wanted to update.

The truck now has over 80k on it and the Defenders have over 31k. Tread depth today is approx. 11/32 on them. They are still the quietest, smoothest, even wearing LT tires I've ever had. A super choice for the 2500 and reinforces my faith in Michelin (for vehicles).

GeekSquadOfUn
07-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately we don't have Discount Tire here in Canada.

Costco has decent prices for them in Canada...

busterbrown
07-11-2019, 07:10 PM
This is an old thread I started and just wanted to update.

The truck now has over 80k on it and the Defenders have over 31k. Tread depth today is approx. 11/32 on them. They are still the quietest, smoothest, even wearing LT tires I've ever had. A super choice for the 2500 and reinforces my faith in Michelin (for vehicles).

Are they snow worthy? I will need a set of tires for my RAM come fall. Michigan winters are a good test for any all season tire. Only have 29k on the OEM Firestone Transforces and getting down to the wear bars. Not very happy with their longevity.

travelin texans
07-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Are they snow worthy? I will need a set of tires for my RAM come fall. Michigan winters are a good test for any all season tire. Only have 29k on the OEM Firestone Transforces and getting down to the wear bars. Not very happy with their longevity.

Hope the moderators don't ban you for using that 4 letter word (SNOW)) on here!!!

hankpage
07-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Hope the moderators don't ban you for using that 4 letter word (SNOW)) on here!!!

I wouldn't ban cause I don't remember what that stuff is.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1157

ctbruce
07-12-2019, 02:52 AM
I have Michelin Defenders on my Chevy 3500. It did great in the snow last Winter here in the Kansas City and Saint Louis area's. I highly recommend them

spade117
07-12-2019, 04:48 AM

Not a huge fan of them either. I only have just over 20k on the OEM's and they are already almost ready to be replaced. I was not a fan over the past winter with these tires either. I too would like something that is more all season than all terrain, as we typically have quite a bit of snow up here.

sourdough
07-12-2019, 04:54 AM

I'm not sure how to quantify "snow worthy". :) They have the "M/S" designation and have performed well in the snow that they have been in....for an all purpose tire. They will not of course perform near as well as an m/t tire or tires more purpose built for snow. They do however perform better than some other all purpose tires I can think of; Goodyear, Toyo, BFG and Firestone come to mind. I think the full depth siping is what helps a lot vs just the superficial cuts in most of the tires.

For me the most important aspects are quiet, dependable, smooth and rain/braking traction because that's where 90% of my driving will take place. Having lived in snow during the winters it finally came to me that it wasn't fun and I only go see it when I want to....sparingly. I don't even go to our mountain house in the winter any longer so snow performance is really sort of at the bottom of my list. I will say, and I'm sure you know, that the more aggressive the tread the poorer it will perform in braking, noise and in rain so to me those are primary considerations when pulling a trailer.

I'm not sure what to think about the Transforce tires. I liked mine and when I took them off with over 49k they still had lots of tread - I mentioned that at the start of this thread if I recall. I have read of others with the same situation you have so I don't know. The way my Transforce tires performed I thought Firestone had made a complete 180 from where they were a couple of decades or so ago; maybe it's just hit and miss.