PDA

View Full Version : Window latch issues on new trailer

Growfreedom
05-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Sorry if this isn't in the right place. New to these forum things.
I have a new 179qbwe. One of the windows has those latches you have to push them both inward as you lift the window up and then the latches pop back out. And when you close it they are suppose to pop back out to latch and lock the window back.

My latches are a pain in the butt since I first opened them. Only had this trailer about 2 weeks. Only opened the window a few times and each time the latches were extremely hard to do. But now the latches are stuck in the open position. So I can at least open and close the window but it doesn't latch in place nor does it latch and lock shut. That window the screen slides up too so not good security wise.

Hoping someone can give some advice how to fix this. The dealership is hours away and we don't hit the road til beginning of June so not really wanting to take it to them for a window latch if can fix myself.
Thanks

canesfan
05-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Yes, they can be a PIA sometimes. Working them in and out repeatedly sometimes helps. I've never tried but maybe some WD40 might help. Others will surely chime in shortly with other suggestions.

As for security, these things are generally not very "secure". A good size screwdriver can open most any of them.

Tbos
05-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Any chance you can post a picture of the latch?

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

canesfan
05-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Tom, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the windows that slide up and down and you squeeze the latches inwards to unlatch them (like usually in the ends of slides) and they are supposed to spring back out to latch. They can be a PIA.

Growfreedom
05-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Here are pics of the latch on the window

66joej
05-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Try some silicone lube it won't leave a stain. Also as mentioned above when you get it moving work it in and out several times.

Steve S
05-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Try some silicone lube it won't leave a stain. Also as mentioned above when you get it moving work it in and out several times.

X2 and yes they're a PIA!:facepalm:

Tbos
05-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Don't think I've ever seen those particular latches before. Concur with the silicone lube.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

JRTJH
05-09-2017, 05:27 PM
We have the same latches on the slide end windows in our Cougar. They have been difficult to operate since the trailer was new. I've tried several things, WD40, silicone spray, "muscle power", and working them to try to loosen them up. So far, they still are hard to operate and my DW usually calls me to "open that *$%& window"..... So, good luck with trying to get them to work smoothly. If you find a "secret trick" please post it for the rest of us....

PARAPTOR
05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Have four of these, three in the slides and I also agree really a pain. Most of the time to minimize the aggregation, I do not open them that much.

Happycamper2018
05-13-2019, 01:53 PM
does any body know how to replace them , mine broke and i ordered soome new ones, but cant see how to get old ones out and new ones in HMMMM.window is a up and down vertical

Steveo57
05-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Half of mine were broken from day one. I just use a stick to hold the window open now. ��