PDA

View Full Version : portable generator

Hankintu
05-08-2017, 03:13 AM
So I added a Champion 3100 remote start to the camping family of stuff. I am curious as to how other folks insure that it doesn't grow legs during the night or when away for a while. It weighs about 100 lbs. and I don't want to heft it back and forth into the truck when we leave for an hour or two.

It may need to stay operational for the AC at night also. Right now thinking of a chain attached but I know that there are probably better chains than others, motion detectors, camouflage, other ways to keep the bugger where it should be. Let's see how creative some can be. Thanks in advance and HAPPY CAMPING.

gearhead
05-08-2017, 03:32 AM
I keep one of those plastic coated cables with loops on both ends around. Loop it through the generator and then something on the trailer.....tongue frame, leveling jack, etc. Get one of those locks that are stainless steel with minimal shackle exposed, like used for rental storage spaces.

Canonman
05-08-2017, 05:45 AM
I keep one of those plastic coated cables with loops on both ends around. Loop it through the generator and then something on the trailer.....tongue frame, leveling jack, etc. Get one of those locks that are stainless steel with minimal shackle exposed, like used for rental storage spaces.

X2 on the plastic cables or a similar bicycle lock and cable (a good one). Also when you need to leave camp, push the genny,still locked up, under your trailer. (A little out of sight out of mind protection.). IMO we are just keeping the honest people honest. A determined thief will do whatever it takes to get what they are after.

Sarvi
05-08-2017, 07:06 AM
I bought a cable lock for mine and attach it to the back bumper of the trailer.

B-O-B'03
05-08-2017, 11:28 AM
I bought this cable lock (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8SWB20/) and run it through the handles, of the generator and the bumper of the trailer.

I think most locking systems are just deterrents and mostly keep the honest people honest... a determined thief will get what he wants.

After 2 seasons I am still in possession of the generator though :D

-Brian

chuckster57
05-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I have a cable lock that will Screech if the cable is cut. Got it back in '08 so I would have to dig it out and check brand/model. We don't dry camp so it sits under the workbench.

Hankintu
05-15-2017, 02:44 AM
Thanks folks. Plastic coated HD cable 15' now here. First time out with the genny will be coming up in June.

unyalli
05-15-2017, 03:36 AM
I use these all the time. You can cinch them down tight. Got one around the battery box another around the propane tank cover another wrapped tight around the Champion 3400 dual fuel inverter generator with a second one secured to the genny by this one then connected to the camper frame.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AYTHXM/ref=psdc_517822_t4_B000XTPNZK

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/618ygQfK30L._SL1082_.jpg

- Jeff

Gschwartz
05-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Lost our keys to a Kryptonite Cable.....sadly discovered a Dewalt cordless grinder chews through cable rather easily.....now use G-4 certified chain.....takes longer and makes more noise cutting.

Hankintu
05-30-2017, 03:18 AM
Another quick question, do any of you Champion 3100 owners leave it in the pickup box and use it? I would think it would be fine unless in the 90's or higher with a dead calm. I have a sprayed in factory bed liner so am thinking about some protection from the exhaust heat if I experiment. Leave the cover off also of course. I can heft it up as long as my back is in good shape but leaving it in would be a nice option.

JRTJH
05-30-2017, 03:57 AM
The pickup bed acts like a megaphone as the generator noise bounces off the bed walls and up out of the truck bed. The problem we had is that with the tailgate up the generator didn't seem to get enough air and was getting too hot and with the tailgate down, the sound tended to focus and project in the area directly behind the truck. So depending on the direction you park and whether you need to leave the tailgate down, it may work for you or you might find, like we did, that with the generator in the bed of the truck it seemed almost twice as loud when compared to sitting beside the truck (where the sound was dispersed 360 degrees).

Desert185
05-30-2017, 08:36 AM
This issue of theft is a major reason we bought two, 2000W generators. Each one weighs about 47#. We can use one for battery charging with minimal fuel use or two for running higher wattage items like the AC. After use, they go in the garage for the evening or when we leave the trailer, which is also another form of the daily exercise regimen.

After noting the capability of my Makita 18v grinder, I didn't feel warm and fuzzy with leaving my gen(s) cabled or chained while I was away.

Hankintu
06-20-2017, 03:18 AM
Thanks all. All great points. Left the Champ 3100 in back of truck for 10 day camp. Got by with no complaints primarily because the back of the truck pointed to the state park boat trailer parking lot. Had some compliments on the set up by walk by's though.

The noise was very minimal in the camper even with the bunks extended. It overloaded once when I first hooked and started because I was running the coffee maker, AC, and had forgotten to switch the water heater from electric to LP. Once I switched the WH, all was good. Oh, one other overload when the AC was left on and went to start it without shutting AC off first. It didn't want to cold start with the AC already on, all learning curve stuff, thanks for the replies!

RLM5150
06-20-2017, 06:23 PM
I have a Champion 3100 as well. I used one of these on our last trip with a heavy padlock. Secured it through the bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K02R9N8

I have been very happy with the Champion so far.

B-O-B'03
06-20-2017, 07:14 PM
...It overloaded once when I first hooked and started because I was running the coffee maker, AC, and had forgotten to switch the water heater from electric to LP. Once I switched the WH, all was good. Oh, one other overload when the AC was left on and went to start it without shutting AC off first. It didn't want to cold start with the AC already on, all learning curve stuff, thanks for the replies!

I always shut off all the breakers, before connecting or disconnecting the Champion. After starting it and a brief warm up, I flip on the main and AC breakers, turn on the AC and let it run for a bit, before turning on any other breakers.

No issues so far.

-Brian

Northofu1
06-17-2018, 02:26 PM
I have just bought the Champion 4000 / 3000 and I plan on loading it into / out of box when I leave trailer behind to explore.

Fishsizzle
06-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Ok very late here, but I’ve had my cable cut 2 Times while camping. Don’t know what scared them off, they didn’t get the Gen either time.

Only a a big chain and American Lock padlock now.

Tinner12002
06-19-2018, 02:08 AM
I use a toylok to lock up my Honda but I also lock it up on the door side of the RV and not on the backside.