PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem

Gail Norland
05-06-2017, 04:19 AM
Alpine 2014 fifth wheel
1 bedroom outlet, refrigerator, ceiling fan, 5 outlets in main camper all of a sudden quit working. GFCI is working, tested all fuses and power with tester and all show 120/12 volt power so all ok. Anyone help?

Terry W.
05-06-2017, 04:26 AM
The fuses are for 12volt system breakers are forn120 volt system. Is there an outlet on the outside of you unit or in the convenience center if so it should be GFI also check them for being tripped

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gail Norland
05-06-2017, 05:05 AM
Yes we checked breakers and fuses with volt meter and all good. Power from 50 amp box good also.

Terry W.
05-06-2017, 05:18 AM
Did you check outside GFI outlets

Frank G
05-06-2017, 05:40 AM
If you are comfortable, expose the GFI outlet and check the output voltage. if it is good you have to trace the circuit. the receptacles are all "daisy chained together" getting power off the GFI receptacle. Look for a loose connection on all devices. You can have a GFI device that looks good but not connecting to the output terminals.

PARAPTOR
05-06-2017, 05:53 AM
Alpine 2014 fifth wheel
1 bedroom outlet, refrigerator, ceiling fan, 5 outlets in main camper all of a sudden quit working. GFCI is working, tested all fuses and power with tester and all show 120/12 volt power so all ok. Anyone help?

Looks like 6 110 VAC receptacles are not working. Frig if not residential would be 12 VDC as would the ceiling fan if not a paddle Fan. If Frig is residential its plug would be dedicated to that frig and depending on switch positions would be powered by your dedicated frig Inverter or shore power. Paddle Fan would be 110 VAC

If you checked the output of each 110 VAC breaker in the Power Distribution Panel My guess would be a GFI has been tripped and needs reset. There can be multiple GFIs in a rig. I would look to see if you you have more then one GFI and check that it is not tripped.

On the 12 VDC side the fuses are in the Power Distribution Panel with red Leds indicators. Under normal conditions if a 12 VDC fuse is blown the corresponding red light w0uld be lite, indicating a blown fuse

If no red Leds are lit and you checked the output side of each 12 VDC fuse I would say look for an inline fuse on these devices would be unusual.

I assume everything else in the rig is working??

Gail Norland
05-06-2017, 05:59 AM
The only GFI is in bathroom and it works. Only one outside outlet and it works. Still having problems.

Gail Norland
05-06-2017, 06:03 AM
I so appreciate all responses. We have checked all in your replies. Still problems.

Javi
05-06-2017, 06:11 AM
If all the items listed as not working are 120 volt and on one wall I'd suspect a breaker in the distribution panel or a GFI plug... especially if you've eliminated the pedestal as the problem.. Recycle all 120 volt breakers as a starting place, sometimes they don't look tripped but are.. Then look for hidden GFI plugs.. We have 4 in our Cougar

Terry W.
05-06-2017, 06:34 AM
I'm like Javi. There is a GFI outlet you have not found yet. Also it's hard to believe there is not an outlet on the outside of the camper. Maybe on the outside wall, where you hook up water or inside the back of the refrigerator where it plugs into the 110volt power. The lower refrigerator panel comes off easy using a coin. Or maybe in the basement area.

PARAPTOR
05-06-2017, 06:43 AM
He said he has an outlet on the outside and it is working. That one would definitely be daisy chained off a GFI if not one itself. My guess at least for the 110 VAC issue would be a GFI has tripped. 12 VDC problem ???? We have had posts where the wires on the output side of the GFI had popped out. As stated I would remove that GFI and check the output side for proper connections and voltage, then again that outside plug is working :confused:

sourdough
05-06-2017, 09:55 AM
IF both hot legs of the 50A service are good then it seems it would have to be a GFI breaker or lost connection somewhere in the chain. Finding it may require that you pull some outlets and put a meter on them to see what's going where.

MarkS
05-06-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm in the tripped GFI camp. The are usually several. Bathrooms, kitchens, basement.

Do you have an outside kitchen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jclemmojoe
05-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Let me share a bit of advice to your 110 volt problem. As in most residential wiring most RVs wire similarly to homes in the ac arena. Therefore all ac circuits are wired in series from the distribution panel. If you have a bad receptacle, which is likely with these cheap push in receptacles, current may not be flowing down the line. start checking your faulty receptacles starting with the closest to the panel. Think you'll find a bad connection in the circuit. You might consider replacing all the cheap RV push in receptacles with regular household receptacles. They're not expensive, Lowe's, Home Depot.

Good luck.

Joe Clemmons

geobet
05-07-2017, 03:15 PM
I second Joe's suggestion. I had a receptacle in the bedroom under the TV on the wall that had no power, yet the one above it for the TV had power. I pulled the "dead" receptacle and low and behold, the hot leg as well as the ground had pulled out of their respective pinch points - fix took all of 10 minutes. Hope yours is as simple.

Canonman
05-07-2017, 06:06 PM
One other thing. We had the joy of discovering that the wiring inside the power distribution box in our Cougar had not been tightened properly. After traveling close to 5k miles we found ALL the 100v neutral connectors loose at the power distribution. Also some of the hot leads loose as well. Could well be a bad "stab" connector as stated before, but before you start pulling plugs out of the wall check the power panel connections. It's not normal for a light i.e. the fan to be wired in the same circuit as the wall outlets. Remember to not only look at the hot leads but also the neutrals. Also check the mains coming in as well.
AND remember to disconnect from shore power and the batteries before messing around in the panel!!

xrated
05-08-2017, 02:04 AM
Let me share a bit of advice to your 110 volt problem. As in most residential wiring most RVs wire similarly to homes in the ac arena. Therefore all ac circuits are wired in PARALLELfrom the distribution panel. If you have a bad receptacle, which is likely with these cheap push in receptacles, current may not be flowing down the line. start checking your faulty receptacles starting with the closest to the panel. Think you'll find a bad connection in the circuit. You might consider replacing all the cheap RV push in receptacles with regular household receptacles. They're not expensive, Lowe's, Home Depot.

Good luck.

Joe Clemmons

Fixed that for ya!

Terry W.
05-08-2017, 05:49 AM
What fixed it? Gail is your fixed yet?

Javi
05-08-2017, 06:24 AM
What fixed it? Gail is your fixed yet?

In a series circuit, the current through each of the components is the same, and the voltage across the circuit is the sum of the voltages across each component. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each of the components is the same, and the total current is the sum of the currents through each component.

Terry W.
05-08-2017, 06:26 AM
I was asking X-rated what fixed his and if Gail had hers fixed yet

Javi
05-08-2017, 06:29 AM

I believe X-rated was saying he fixed (corrected) the wording of jclemmojoe's post...

Terry W.
05-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Ok I'll go back to sleep Javi

xrated
05-08-2017, 07:06 AM

I didn't have an electrical issue. What is was saying is that I fixed (corrected) the wrong information about receptacles being hooked up in series. They aren't, they are hooked up in parallel....so I fixed that for him!

xrated
05-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Javi....you beat me to it. It's hard being at work and trying to post in a timely fashion. :D

Dr Bobs Patient
05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
In my 333MKS Cougar I believe there are 15 110 outlets. I had a similar problem and found the outside GFCI outlet was tripped. Good luck.

mazboy
05-12-2017, 12:33 PM
isn't possible that one leg of the 50 amp line isn't correct?
https://www.google.com/search?q=half+of+my+rv+electric+doesn%27t+work&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

concours
05-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Just a thought If you are hooked up to the 50 amp thru a surge protector has one leg of the protector blown?

notanlines
05-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Gail, did you ever find out what the problem was? Inquiring minds want to know.