PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Question

shov
05-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Hoping someone can give me some insight. I had the basement wall panels removed and I noticed something different. This is on my 2016 Keystone Alpine 3601. My previous furnace had the round foil ducts coming directly off the back and top of the furnace case and mad runs all over the length of the coach. This one looks like it is ducted below the case with more stick and brick type of duct work from there.
In the first picture you will see the knock outs are all open. So I'm not sure how the heat is supposed to be pushed through the ductwork below? Should I close these off so the heated air is routed down below to the duct work?
The second picture ( not a very good one is through the case of the furnace and down to the duct work below.

Thanks for you opinions and suggestions in advance!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/ab8352ebbd31c4168bf24ca14820c4ca.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/764623f3904427acba734ae5c9d02344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
05-05-2017, 06:35 PM
If your heater "box" sits on an opening that distributes the warm air then those round holes should have plugs.

I wonder if the plugs fell out as they spin real easy. The "plug" is simply a round disc that has a molded notch for a portion of the circle and a tab that fits into the cutout square, then you simply spin it.

If you can't find the discs, I would try to get replacements before I tried using any sort of tape.

Make sure the fabric seal is still on the edges of the opening in the floor.

shov
05-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Thanks chuckster! I figured as much but you never know. I'll get the plugs and seal it up so the air flows!

PARAPTOR
05-05-2017, 07:51 PM
If all those openings were ouput ports did you ever get heat in your Alpine? Looks like there are 4 covers off. Say if each opening was 5" diameter that total would be around 78.4 square inches. Just quessing if the rectangular opening into the actual duct below the furnace was say 12" x 5" that would be 60 square inches. In this example 57% of your furnace heat capacity was going in your basement and 43% was feed into the duct and inside your rig. WARM Basement!!!

Surprised the covers would all fall off and not be laying near the furnace?? Strange :eek:

bobbecky
05-05-2017, 09:41 PM
I have a feeling that those openings are the return air inlets, and the heated air departs through a duct not pictured. I would be careful plugging any openings until you are sure of what these openings are for.

chuckster57
05-06-2017, 02:01 AM
Return air is usually a grate at the opening of the fan. A quick way to check would be to turn the heat on and feel for air flow. I haven't seen a return set up like that yet.

Frank G
05-06-2017, 03:49 AM
I would not modify any heating appliance without approval from the manufacture. They need to know about this, (it is not right) and follow there directions. Remember, Dealer first.

Just my thoughts
Good Luck, hope you get a quick response

shov
05-06-2017, 04:08 AM
Thanks all. I will take some additional pictures and get them to my dealer and go from there. I'll post the results as we go.