PDA

View Full Version : Just passed 4 years

Still go once
05-04-2017, 02:48 PM
The new tires were cheap, comparatively!!!!:whistling:

notanlines
05-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Suppose you could give us a little run-down on the tires.....brand, size maybe if you treated them nice or were evil to them. We are all curious about the brand I'm sure. (And we know you treated them nice!:D)

Still go once
05-04-2017, 03:38 PM
They were, what every one refers to as, good year blow max. Always ran at or under the speed limit. Very picky about PSI never under 65 PSI .Good tread and very even wear. Always balanced. Never over loaded. They were just 4 1/2 years old. Never checked the dates until it was to late. All ST tires well time out.

busterbrown
05-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Keeping a conservative replacement schedule for trailer tires, (ie after every 3 seasons), maintaining them per manufacturer recommendations, and providing adequate load reserve will mitigate a costly failure.

Ken / Claudia
05-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Just asking, do not take offense. Tires do pick up road debris and blow or go flat. Just hitting a pot hole can break sidewalls. What did the tire shop show you or tell you what caused the blow out. If you have any good photos of the tire some on here may even be able to pin point the cause.

Still go once
05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
The first tire had a complete separation of the tread but didn't lose the air. I was able to limp it toward the next exit where there was a truck stop. I then put on the spare tire went about 60 miles and it blew. Thats when all the damage occured. It exploded!
That's how you turn a 7 hour trip into 12.

busterbrown
05-06-2017, 01:03 AM
Your 4 year old spare was more dangerous than your 4 year old primary tires. Primary use tires (while in service) allow for oil dispersion within the rubber compounds. Spares that sit stationary do not.

BuxCamper
05-06-2017, 02:53 AM
Your 4 year old spare was more dangerous than your 4 year old primary tires. Primary use tires (while in service) allow for oil dispersion within the rubber compounds. Spares that sit stationary do not.
Agreed! My spare is on a standard rim and not the fancier ones hitting the road. So while I could rotate it amongst the other tires it wouldn't look pretty.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

PARAPTOR
05-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Agreed! My spare is on a standard rim and not the fancier ones hitting the road. So while I could rotate it amongst the other tires it wouldn't look pretty.

I think most of us have a standard steel rim on our spare, probably would be nice to rotate but like you said would definitely be an eye sore. I do not :facepalm:

BuxCamper
05-06-2017, 10:20 AM
I should price a matching rim.