PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cams

the sodfather
05-02-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm kinda in the market for a dash cam. I pretty much know nothing about them except reading some reviews and watching a few very boring YT videos.

Any of y'all got some info or opinions that will help me decide what I want? I've driven just over 10K this year and see quite a bite of crazy stuff on the road. Probably half my driving is in the dark. A sales guy I know has a Garman 35. He said he likes it but ain't really into talking about that stuff. So...

BuxCamper
05-02-2017, 12:47 PM
I got one after being cut off by a CA driver on the PA Turnpike. The joker missed his exit and decided cutting in front of my pick-up was fine. Thank God I did not have the trailer at the time. Everything would have been totaled.

If you get one spend the extra on forward and reverse views. That saved one guy's bacon when the insurance of the woman who rear ended him tried to claim he just stopped in the road. The video he sent showed him coming to a stop at a red light with cars in front of him and Her plowing into him while on the cell phone. The insurance settled the next day.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Jeepshots
05-02-2017, 12:59 PM
This is what i wanted ($360 for a dual camera system): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280040-REG/black_vue_dr650s_2ch_dr650s_series_2_channel_dash. html

Couldn't afford the BlackVue system above, so i picked up something that'd work for now ($70 off of Amazon when i got it):https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6KHWAS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

rwmurphy15
05-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Bought a Rexing off Amazon 2 years ago still works great, no problems and really good video in 5 minute segments. And great customer service that goes a long way. I think it was $75-80. I want to get another one for our other vehicle.

the sodfather
05-02-2017, 04:08 PM
I got one after being cut off by a CA driver on the PA Turnpike. The joker missed his exit and decided cutting in front of my pick-up was fine. Thank God I did not have the trailer at the time. Everything would have been totaled.

If you get one spend the extra on forward and reverse views. That saved one guy's bacon when the insurance of the woman who rear ended him tried to claim he just stopped in the road. The video he sent showed him coming to a stop at a red light with cars in front of him and Her plowing into him while on the cell phone. The insurance settled the next day.

So tell me what ya got...

the sodfather
05-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Bought a Rexing off Amazon 2 years ago still works great, no problems and really good video in 5 minute segments. And great customer service that goes a long way. I think it was $75-80. I want to get another one for our other vehicle.

I'll check it out...👍

BuxCamper
05-02-2017, 04:11 PM
I got a Cobra with built in GPS. It is forward view only as I was not aware of rear view capable at the time.

bsmith0404
05-02-2017, 06:13 PM
I bought one off of Amazon a few years ago. The main thing to look for IMO is that it will loop and has a memory card. The looping feature just means that it will save video until the memory is full then it overwrites it as it continues to record. The memory card, class 10 like the ones used in cameras, can be removed and a different card inserted if you ever need to save what is recorded. The nice part about the memory card is it can be easily downloaded onto your computer and saved as a file.

vampress_me
05-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I got a Rexing off Amazon a little over a year ago when Amazon had sales before Christmas. Picked it because it had many good reviews. Worked great all last summer and this winter and has the capability to add a camera to it for the rear view, but I haven't done that. Came with both a permanent mount or a suction cup, I've only used the suction cup between both the truck and our little escape. Records in a loop, but if you want to keep a portion of the recording you just hit a button and it won't overwrite that part. Only part I don't like with both this and my TPMS are the darn cables to power them. I think I need to figure out hardwiring one or both so I don't have wires tucked in everywhere and using the power outlets.

440justin
05-02-2017, 07:43 PM
I have heard good things about the Thinkware F770.

From some of the research I have it sounds like you want to get a dash cam that used capacitor instead of battery. The capacitors handle the extreme heat​ and cold of a car better than batteries do.

I keep looking to get one, but can't decide if I just go the cheapo route or get a high quality one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rhagfo
05-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Well, I have one in the TV, and wanted something small and discrete. I found the Mini 801, great video and disappears in the TV.

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

This is the unit installed in the TV.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_239735_0_67d74416772acf922816c55981cfd302.jpg

Does very nice video, I run a 32 gb micro SD card and get about six hours worth of recording.

http://vid1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/rhagfo/Videos/a%20little%20quick_zpsdupzm9fk.mp4

SAABDOCTOR
05-24-2017, 05:23 AM
i have the think wear! the instructions that come with it leave something to be desired but the on line manual is good. good video and nice and compact. i do not have the rear view yet but think that would be a great addition. my dw got it for me for christmas