PDA

View Full Version : Straptek broke

smpremier
05-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Hi I just went to tighten the strap on the strapteks and one of the nuts that you use to tighten the strap broke right where the pin goes through. It's the 1 1/8 nut. First time installing them. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement?

xrated
05-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Have you tried to contact Lippert? That would be my suggestion, and tell them you need it yesterday!

smpremier
05-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Thanks, I did . They said I have to take a picture and send them that . They didn't know what a straptek was at first but they were really nice and wanted to help. Going camping Friday so we'll see.

smpremier
05-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Plus she said they just bought atwood

xrated
05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
If push comes to shove, and the part doesn't arrive by Friday, you could maybe find a piece of metal flat stock at Lowe's or Home Depot that would fit into the "slot" and use it to tension the spring bars until the replacement piece arrives....just a thought to keep from missing a camping trip.

JRTJH
05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
First, to the OP, hopefully Lippert will come through and get your problem resolved....

Now, as a totally unrelated comment, but something to consider.... This is why I simply don't trust Goodyear's new ST tire, the Endurance.... Not until it's been on the market for a while.....

Way back when, we had a drug sales rep stop by the office and offer everyone who would prescribe their new drug a bunch of free stuff.... The "old guy in the office" (no not me at that time) urged all of us "noobies" to refuse the offer... We all did, and about 6 months later the drug was recalled and a class action suit was started against everyone who had been prescribing the drug. None of us were involved in the lawsuit and all our patients were not subjected to the problems...

Moral of the story: Let someone else do the testing. There'll be enough time to still benefit AFTER all the kinks are ironed out......

Ok, back to "current events".....:popcorn:

jmak
05-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Worse case put your chains back on to go camping.

smpremier
05-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Well it looks like it's not available separately and to replace it I'd have to pay $199.99 for another set. Sooooooo....

xrated
05-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Is there no warranty remaining on them? And you are saying that they don't sell replacement parts?

smpremier
05-02-2017, 08:51 AM
If you break anything there are no replacement parts. There was a guy on here awhile ago that wouldn't buy them because if you break the strap there's no replacement. Buyer beware

smpremier
05-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Keep in mind I never got a chance to use these. It broke the first time using them. I did buy them on ebay from a lippert distributer and I'll deal with them next.

xrated
05-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Good luck and keep us updated

smpremier
05-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks xrated, I will.

xrated
05-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Since you posted about yours breaking, I think I'm going to buy a 3/4" machine bolt (should have an 1 1/8" head for a socket) and cut it down to fit in the winch shaft and carry in the trailer for a spare....just in case.

Still go once
05-02-2017, 11:45 AM
smpremier, give this a try, US Cargo Control #Part #: TW200R There is a left and right. The left side is TW200L. There very inexpensive.

xrated
05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Well I'll be a blankety blank. That's them, minues the mounting brackets.

Still go once.......What a great find that was/is......Thank you.

smpremier
05-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Holy cow I cannot believe it! I, like xrated, just want to say thank you in the biggest way. I just ordered them both. Its a lot easier than having to fight my way trying to get them replaced or made. Thank you very much still go once. That's one thing about campers, Its people helping people. Thanks.

Jeepshots
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Great googlie mooglie! $8 a side!?! I'm beginning to wonder if i can build a set of Strapteks myself....

Still go once
05-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Your welcome, get out there and camp!

Jeepshots
05-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Just ordered the right/left ratchets, hooks and straps. All i have to do is build bracketry for tongue mounting. Shipping brought it all to right around $50.

Once i get this built, i'll keep my chains as a backup for a while. Will probably order another rachet body, hook and strap as permanent backup once I know my welds will hold. :whistling: You can move the 1 1/8" hex head from one side to the other if you remove/replace the pins.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Truck-Tie-Downs-Web-Winches/2-Lashing-Truck-Tie-Down-Winch-RIGHT
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Truck-Tie-Downs-Web-Winches/2-Lashing-Truck-Tie-Down-Winch-Left
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Tie-Downs-Hardware/Wire-Grab-S-Hooks/Swivel-Wire-Hook-for-2-webbing
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Replacement-Tie-Down-Straps/2-x-2-Fixed-End-w-Flat-Hook-and-Bolt-Loop

Thanks again!!

Still go once
05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Do yourself a favor, do not use nylon for your strap. Straptek uses polyester for a lot of reasons. Polyester does not wick water,doesn't stretch, is resistant to road alkalies and is almost completely UV resistant.

Jeepshots
05-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Good info. Thanks!

Jeepshots
05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Just double-checked, and the strap is poly. I'll cut off the flat hook and swap on the J-hook.

Specifications
Quantity: 1
Length: 11"
Width: 2"
Webbing Break Strength: 12,000 lbs.
Assembly Break Strength: 10,000 lbs.
Work Load Limit: 3,333 lbs.
Polyester webbing has a break strength of 12,000 lbs.; fitted with a black flat hook on one end.

Still go once
05-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Please, keep us informed and good luck!

Jeepshots
05-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Hooks are on back order. They immediately reached out to me in order to find out what i wanted to do - ship and backorder, or hold entire order until hooks are in. I requested immediate shipping and backorder the hooks (since i have to build the bracketry before i need the hooks). They responded back saying they'll do just that. 30 minutes later, i get another email informing me that they are processing my order. So far, excellent customer service!

xrated
05-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Again, this is really good info to know. Now, just so you know....I'm not sure what your setup will be like, but on mine, 11" of strapping I don't think would be quite enough. I'm thinking that probably 13-14" in order to reach the U bolt on my spring bar, then winch it up to where it's suppose to be. Just a heads up.

Still go once
05-03-2017, 04:15 PM
How do I post pics

66joej
05-03-2017, 05:41 PM
I just go on User CP and post pics after doing your post. Scroll down and follow prompts. Maybe someone can explain it better.

chuckster57
05-03-2017, 06:53 PM
I use a hosting site. My choice is Photobucket but there are others. Once pic is uploaded to hosting site, there are instructions on how to copy the URL. Then just paste the URL between these commands:
Bracket([) img (]) then paste the URL
Then another bracket([) with /img(]).

Use the brackets NOT the parentheses.

slow
05-04-2017, 02:38 AM
I too use Photobucket, but find using TapaTalk on my cell phone to be the easiest.

canesfan
05-04-2017, 05:34 AM
If you use the "attachment" function, which is the paperclip icon next to the smiley face icon when you are doing your post (not there in "quick reply"), you don't have to post your pictures someplace else. You can upload them directly from your computer.

slow
05-04-2017, 06:57 AM
If you use the "attachment" function, which is the paperclip icon next to the smiley face icon when you are doing your post (not there in "quick reply"), you don't have to post your pictures someplace else. You can upload them directly from your computer.

Thanks for the insight!

Still go once
05-04-2017, 02:25 PM
This is my Straptek setup

notanlines
05-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Can anyone explain to me why all these moving parts are better than two chains and a pipe extension. We have had two perfectly normal WDH's over the years and no chain, bar, pipe or anything else ever broke.

Still go once
05-04-2017, 03:24 PM
It's not that things are breaking, it's about ease of use, adjusting and sway control.

xrated
05-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Hey Still go once. I would like to make a quick suggestion for you.....when your winch is pulled up all the way where you want it to be, the strap and hook should be perfectly perpendicular to the A frame. You need to adjust your winches a little bit.

xrated
05-04-2017, 03:29 PM
It's not that things are breaking, it's about ease of use, adjusting and sway control.

I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch on my truck/trailer and the StrapTek are so much easier to adjust and pull up than the Blue Ox could ever hope to be.....I agree with you 100% about ease of use and adjustment.

Still go once
05-04-2017, 03:43 PM
The top pic is with the TV and trailer in line. The other two are at full turn. Yes they need to be perpendicular with the frame.

smpremier
05-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Well I just received the parts from US cargo and they are exactly the same! Took the nut off the good one and put it on mine and I'm back in business. And I have a spare.Thank you everyone.

xrated
05-12-2017, 06:35 AM
This thread got me thinking about "spares" and in the event I needed something. Looking around on USCargo's site I found the left and right winches for like $7.95 each....which is a very good price, until you added in shipping which was $15.95. I looked on Amazon and here is what I found....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146XO4M6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I ordered a pair and paid a little more for the winches, but free shipping.

Next order of business was getting some poly straps in case one of them broke. I found a place called customtiedowns.com and here is what I ordered....
http://customtiedowns.com/search.php?q=3953-K3&go.x=7&go.y=12

These are 3' long and have no loop on the end that attaches to the winch. The original StrapTek system was like that.....just put the end of the strap in the slot and start winding it up...kind of like on some motorcycle tiedown straps. I ordered the 3' length as I wasn't sure exactly how long they need to be, and I can just cut off the excess and have exactly what I want. Plus, if a strap would break on the original StrapTek system while travelling, I don't have to disassemble the winch and put the closed eye of the strap on the shaft of the winch. All total I've got under $45 in two complete spares and to me, this is good insurance.

JRTJH
05-12-2017, 07:18 AM
While everyone should "pack spares to their comfort level", I don't have a WD hitch any longer (fifth wheel) but towed a travel trailer for more years than I care to remember. During all those years, I don't recall ever packing a "spare parts kit" for the hitch. Never did I need a spare part and I was never "stranded" because the hitch broke.

I wonder if this new offering, the Straptek system, is quite as reliable as it ought to be if it's going to be expected to tow a 10K trailer behind a tow vehicle at 65-70 MPH on a busy highway? Is this an early adaptation of a new technology that's going to evolve into a reliable system or is this "the best it gets" ???

canesfan
05-12-2017, 07:31 AM
While everyone should "pack spares to their comfort level", I don't have a WD hitch any longer (fifth wheel) but towed a travel trailer for more years than I care to remember. During all those years, I don't recall ever packing a "spare parts kit" for the hitch. Never did I need a spare part and I was never "stranded" because the hitch broke.

I wonder if this new offering, the Straptek system, is quite as reliable as it ought to be if it's going to be expected to tow a 10K trailer behind a tow vehicle at 65-70 MPH on a busy highway? Is this an early adaptation of a new technology that's going to evolve into a reliable system or is this "the best it gets" ???

Same here. I keep reading this thread wondering just what was wrong with the nice heavy chains I used to use. I never once had a problem hooking them up using the small "pipe" supplied and after "I" adjusted the hitch after the dealer did, I never had any issues with sway to speak of. I also never carried spare hitch parts (except maybe a locking pin) and never had a hitch part break. I know hitches have come a long way since then, but this one has got me wondering if the "old" way really needs to be reinvented. Not knocking it, just not understanding the "why".

xrated
05-12-2017, 07:47 AM
John and cane.......I bought the StrapTec system because to me, the pull ups that came with my Blue Ox W.D. hitch were somewhat dangerous. It wasn't the "pull up" that I didn't like (although that was somewhat of a pain in the donkey's butt), but the release of the spring bars. The release part was simply not something that could be done in a controlled, easy as you go manner. Once the cam for the chains was rotated over "center", the thing just let loose....and I'm talking in a nano-second. If your hands or fingers were in the wrong place.....it wan't going to have a happy ending. You simply could not control the release slowly, while letting the tension off of the spring bars. On my setup, I've got 1500 lb spring bars (trailer GVW is 13K), so it was "instant" as soon as that cam came over the center.

Witht the StrapTeK system, I can put pressure on the winch device, which allows you to release the catch, then I can slowly let off the spring bar tension. When my hand/arm gets to the point that I need to regrip, I simply release the spring loaded latch and it holds it in place while I get the wrench positioned for loosening the spring bars some more. All very controlled and nothing sudden/violent.

I honestly don't think the SpingTek system is as sturdy as the original Blue Ox setup, but on a personal basis, I would rather have something that Maybe???? isn't quite as long lasting/sturdy, but offers a much higher level of safety and comfort to me, the operator of the W.D. hitch.

And the bottom line is that I bought the Blue Ox (this is my first and only experience with W.D. hitches as I've never needed one before) and there may be better systems out there that are far more user friendly and safer and would have given me a better comfort level using them.....I don't know! At any rate, I bought it and certainly didn't want to have to try out others until I found the "sweet spot" on W.D. hitches. So even though the Blue Ox OEM stuff wasn't what I really felt comfortable with after getting it, the StrapTek replacement pull ups have left me with a completely satisfied result.....and I'll just deal with choosing to carry some spare parts.......just in case.

smpremier
05-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Well, to clear things up a little it was in a way my own fault. I was trying too hard to get the straps up to the bottom of the winch like there supposed to be. I should've adjusted the hitch head more. That's why I told lci I would gladly pay for the part that broke but they would not sell it to me.

canesfan
05-12-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm not familiar with the Blue OX WDH. I know people seem to like them for towing cars behind Class As, but that's a whole different thing. I don't remember what brand WDH I had now, but I never once felt I wasn't in complete control both hooking up the bars and unhooking them. I think with the last 30 TT I had 1200 lb bars but that was too long ago to be sure. I also never had an electric jack and never had trouble raising and lowering the trailer to do so. So I guess without experiencing your particular setup it's hard to understand. But if you don't feel safe with that setup, and now the one you have is maybe prone to breaking, I would think I would look into a different hitch altogether. Just my line of thinking. I'd hate to have something "back there" break going down the freeway.

Jeepshots
05-12-2017, 08:03 AM
For me, i like the idea of the attachment point being lower on the side of the tongue, not on top of the tongue. This results in a shorter pendulum action, which should tighten everything up when running down the road. As i said in my original reply to this thread, i'm experimenting. If i don't like my Straptek variant, i'll go back to the chains. But with the chain setup, I experienced the bracket sliding back and forth, and it pressured against my propane tank holder, shearing 3 of the 4 bolts holding it down. I'm currently still set up with the chains, and have tightened everything back down to the best of my ability - next step would be to weld the chain mounts to the tongue. Thought i'd try the straptek version first before resorting to the metal glue.

xrated
05-12-2017, 08:35 AM
I'm not familiar with the Blue OX WDH. I know people seem to like them for towing cars behind Class As, but that's a whole different thing. I don't remember what brand WDH I had now, but I never once felt I wasn't in complete control both hooking up the bars and unhooking them. I think with the last 30 TT I had 1200 lb bars but that was too long ago to be sure. I also never had an electric jack and never had trouble raising and lowering the trailer to do so. So I guess without experiencing your particular setup it's hard to understand. But if you don't feel safe with that setup, and now the one you have is maybe prone to breaking, I would think I would look into a different hitch altogether. Just my line of thinking. I'd hate to have something "back there" break going down the freeway.

I honestly don't feel like it is going to break on me, but I'm somewhat of the type of person that tries to plan for the "what ifs" that might happen. Admittedly, I'm probably a bit anal about that kind of thing. I have an Anderson Rapid Jack onboard in case of a trailer flat, but I also carry a 12 Ton bottle jack....just in case. When I go to the track for my motorcycle track days....I have spares of the stuff that I might need. I carry a complete front and rear set of tires/wheels/axles, sprockets/etc for the bike. I guess you might say that I'm a bit fanatical, but having the peace of mind and the comfort of knowing that I should/maybe/can get myself either back on the road or in the case of the bike, back on the track if something happens. It's kind of like buying insurance for your XXXXX (fill in the blank)....you buy it, and hope that you never need it.

Jeepshots
05-12-2017, 08:42 AM
It's called being prepared. Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it myself on quite a few things, and for various reasons. Biggest reason: Just In Case.

canesfan
05-12-2017, 09:36 AM
It's called being prepared. Nothing wrong with that at all. I do it myself on quite a few things, and for various reasons. Biggest reason: Just In Case.

Not sure who that is directed to, but I wasn't questioning being prepared. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, I always try to be. Last time I cleaned out the kitchen drawers we had 3 pizza cutters, I guess in case 1 & 2 broke at the same time. :rolleyes: Anyway, I was questioning, for my own information, the why of using this device when there are other proven, reliable options out there. Like I said earlier, I'm not knocking it, I don't have enough information to do so if I wanted to. Just asking why.

smpremier
05-12-2017, 10:13 AM
I got it for two reasons. Ease of operation and better sway control over chains. Actually 3 reasons. I don't have to use my jack to jack the truck and trailer up as high as I can.

Jeepshots
05-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Not sure who that is directed to, but I wasn't questioning being prepared.

I was commenting on xrated's post. I'm a "be prepared" type person myself, and just wanted to sing with the choir.

I'm wanting to try it to see if it's better than my chain setup. And I can do it cheaper by piecing it together myself instead of plunking down $180. Like smpremier mentioned, it's supposed to have better sway control due to the shorter pendulum length, easy to set up (chains aren't difficult for me - just a lot of up/down with the tongue jack), and this is supposed to alleviate the up/down with the tongue jack. So, if it works, i'll be happy. If it doesn't work for me, i'll go back to chains.

canesfan
05-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the answers. Only time will tell. I hope it all works out for all of you. What isn't right is that LCI won't sell the "parts" separately if something breaks. Not sure I understand their reasoning behind that. Having access to spare parts for "all" this stuff is essential. Glad you all found another place to get them, and I'm sure they are more reasonable than if LCI were willing to sell them to you.

xrated
05-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the answers. Only time will tell. I hope it all works out for all of you. What isn't right is that LCI won't sell the "parts" separately if something breaks. Not sure I understand their reasoning behind that. Having access to spare parts for "all" this stuff is essential. Glad you all found another place to get them, and I'm sure they are more reasonable than if LCI were willing to sell them to you.

As smpremier and jeepshots stated, just overall easier to use. And I can verify/testify that with the StrapTek system, there is absolutely ZERO of having to raise and lower the tongue of the trailer up or down to make it easier, like there is with the chain setup. Back the truck up to the trailer coupler, lower the coupler down onto the trailer ball, tightened up the StrapteK to where you would normally put it, continue raising the Tongue jack leg up and you are ready to go.

I kind of understand why there are no spare parts for the winch. I'm guessing here, but it makes sense that Lippert sources the winch assembly from ABC source (likely USCargo) and then they source the poly straps (maybe from USCargo, but I don't know that) and then the mounting brackets are made by either them or sourced out and the winch assembly is then bolted onto the mounting brackets and the product is complete. I seriously doubt if even USCargo has spare parts for the winch. At $7.95 each, it would seem silly to stock parts when you can buy a new one for $8 bucks.

Still go once
05-15-2017, 07:31 AM
I purchased Straptek just after I bought my new electric jack, If I would have bought Straptek firs,t I wouldn't have bought the jack.

jmak
05-24-2017, 04:53 AM
For those using blueox swaypro how many dots are you at when hitched up on the straps?

xrated
05-24-2017, 06:01 AM
For those using blueox swaypro how many dots are you at when hitched up on the straps?

Here's what I did. Before removing the Blue Ox pull ups, I hooked up to my Toy Hauler and used them to tension the spring bars as I normally would, I then used a tape measure and measured the distance between the top of the spring bar and the bottom of the trailer "A" arm where they were mounted. Record that number (in my case, it was 4 3/4"), and then release the spring bars for the last time. Remove the Blue Ox pull ups and install the new StrapTek winches on both sides. Remove the chains from your spring bars AND turn the "U" bolts over so that they can be hooked to the StrapTek "J" hook. NOW, crank up the winch until your spring bar measures the same distance from the top of it, to the bottom of the A frame. Adjust it if necessary to get the same (4 3/4" in my case) distance and you should be good to go. Hope this helps you figure it out. My straps didn't have any type of marks on them, so when I got them adjusted to the correct tension, I took a paint stick and drew a white line on the strap at the Top Dead Center....that way I don't have to measure every time I use them.

Jeepshots
05-24-2017, 06:16 AM
My straps didn't have any type of marks on them, so when I got them adjusted to the correct tension, I took a paint stick and drew a white line on the strap at the Top Dead Center....that way I don't have to measure every time I use them.

That's thinking with your dipstick!! I like it! :bow:

xrated
05-24-2017, 07:57 AM
That's thinking with your dipstick!! I like it! :bow:

I always try to work smarter.....not harder. :D

cvin
05-24-2017, 08:38 AM
i have the blue ox sway pro on my keystone and also do not like the way the chains pop down on releasing

have had several WD set ups and never had one that is sprung so tight like that when releasing...
even if i have the trailer lifted high with the electric jack...

will research this product