PDA

View Full Version : Awning cleaning

Kestrel1029
04-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for any tip and/or products you have used to clean your awning. I've developed some dark stains on the underside of my awning. I've seen a few products but don't which ones work and which don't. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

canesfan
04-28-2017, 10:51 AM
None of the touted "awning cleaners" I've ever tried has worked. I am still looking for something to clean the underside and get the black stains off.

Tbos
04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
If you do a search in the tech forum and upgrades and maintenance sections of the forum you will find a lot of threads on this. It seems like the last one I remember said something about a bleach and dish soap mixture You spray on then roll up the awning. After it sits for awhile you unroll and rinse. I use Clorox type wet ones to hit the spots and just wash the rest with soap and water.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Kestrel1029
04-28-2017, 10:53 AM
OK, thanks. if I find something, I'll be sure to post it.

None of the touted "awning cleaners" I've ever tried has worked. I am still looking for something to clean the underside and get the black stains off.

Mikesr
04-28-2017, 11:02 AM
This works well if you first wet the awning then spray a liberal amount on the underside of the awning and roll it up for about 20 minutes depending on the heat and sun you could go longer. Unroll the awning and the scrub stubborn areas with a long handled brush, then rinse completely. If your awing is big consider doing this in sections. I always wear an old white shirt and old shorts since the bleach can really mess up clothing. Eye protection is now a bad idea either depends how sensitive you are.
Walmart brand is cheap and it's the same as Tilex brand.
http://images.prod.meredith.com/product/3068039569e32e050f92e17e66659d75/15724f6b5cec372865ca5cc182023ef37e6b13337a269f55c5 b88feef9f2ec2f/l/great-value-mold-and-mildew-remover-32-fl-oz

sourdough
04-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Have your tried Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover? I used it on my boats and then used it on my awning - took all the stains right off. Think I got it at Overton's marine but West Marine or other places probably carry it as well.

One word of caution that I didn't know about; when you spray it overhead and that mist/drops fall on you.....they contain bleach and will discolor your shirt:eek: I didn't know until the next day when my wife pointed out what I had done:(

Kestrel1029
04-28-2017, 11:26 AM
OK, thanks. I might want to wear safety glasses too.

Have your tried Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover? I used it on my boats and then used it on my awning - took all the stains right off. Think I got it at Overton's marine but West Marine or other places probably carry it as well.

One word of caution that I didn't know about; when you spray it overhead and that mist/drops fall on you.....they contain bleach and will discolor your shirt:eek: I didn't know until the next day when my wife pointed out what I had done:(

jmak
04-28-2017, 11:26 AM
I had a professional RV mobile retailed come out to clean and wax my RV a few months ago. Awning they just used a diluted bleach mixture on it.

canesfan
04-28-2017, 11:27 AM

I have not tried that. I haven't tried a bleach solution of any kind for just the reason you mention. But it's probably the only way to get it clean. Maybe a little garden tank sprayer and stand back might do the trick. Worth a try.

PARAPTOR
04-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Hair already bleached white , no issue there :nonono:

sourdough
04-28-2017, 11:57 AM
From now on I'm just going to wear a white t shirt and old pants. It comes in a spray bottle. I'm a little reluctant to use something like a garden sprayer and get the solution on everything including the side of the trailer. The spray bottle lets you pretty much pinpoint the area you want to work on and then go about it. It worked really well for me but I only had something like 2 strips across the awning where it had to sit in FL during bad weather and all sorts of stuff got in/on it......and sort of grew I guess:)

canesfan
04-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Mine sits half under pine trees in my yard and gets nasty with black stripes all the way up and down so I have to do the entire thing. I would have to think of a way of protecting the side of the trailer or hose it off immediately.

dcg9381
04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
For me, a diluted bleach solution with a sprayer, roll up awning wet, roll it back out in 15 minutes.. repeat as necessary to get clean.

sourdough
04-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Mine sits half under pine trees in my yard and gets nasty with black stripes all the way up and down so I have to do the entire thing. I would have to think of a way of protecting the side of the trailer or hose it off immediately.

I just use a ladder and begin spraying a swath across the awning. Let it sit a couple of minutes and DW uses a short extend a pole with a soft brush head on it and does a little scrubbing (doesn't take much at all). When we finish we spray the awning (lightly) with a garden hose sprayer as we quickly rub over it again with the brush (cleaned of any cleaner residue) then let dry. It's done a good job and is pretty quick.

Richard Noble
04-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Go to a dollar store and get a big bottle of Awesome. It has always worked for me and is (I think) much better then bleach. It is cheap, too.

Vet4jdc
04-28-2017, 05:30 PM
1 quart of bleach
3 quarts of water
1 big squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent

Mix all in a pump type garden sprayer

Unroll awning and stand on a step ladder

Spray the top of the awning with the soapy mixture until entire awning is wet

Roll up awning and leave for 20-30 minutes

Unroll and rinse thoroughly

Wear old clothes (ask me how I know)

Awning will dry and look like new

cpaulsen
04-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I spray a mixture of bleach/Dawn dish soap and water in a sprayer and spray it underneath the awning...roll it up for about 20-30 minutes........unroll it.......hose it off with water and it comes out clean.

66joej
04-28-2017, 05:39 PM
So I've been standing underneath the awning to spray the mixture on. Now I feel like a doofus. Thanks.:D

notanlines
04-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Keep in mind that the bleach you are using might not be the best thing for the colors on top of the awning. When you roll it up you are coating those colors with the bleach. I'm just sayin'....

canesfan
04-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind that the bleach you are using might not be the best thing for the colors on top of the awning. When you roll it up you are coating those colors with the bleach. I'm just sayin'....

Thought about that. Might forgo the rolling up part and just leave it out, scrub it, repeat. Thanks all for the tips. Have plenty of old clothes to wear.

cjm
04-29-2017, 07:03 AM
I use "Gone in 30 Seconds". It is similar to bleach, but not as harsh on fabrics and clothing - it is used on driveways etc and doesn't kill the grass etc. that bleach does.

I spray the top with a sprayer, brush it it and roll it up for 5 min. Unroll - brush again and rinse - the bottom of mine still looks like new after 5 years - and no change in the colors.

sourdough
04-29-2017, 10:08 AM

I'm reaching into the depths :nonono: of my memory, which is becoming increasingly unreachable as I get older :(, but I think that prolonged exposure of the seams (stitching?) to bleach makes them brittle or more susceptible to breakage over time.....I think.