PDA

View Full Version : Rug Under Awning

skane
04-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

I've been going back and forth on this... back when I was young, my dad carried around a roll of green outdoor carpeting and placed that on the ground outside the door, the length of the awning.

What do you guys do? If you do, how big did you go? The full width of the awning or just smaller amounts around the entrance.

Photos would be helpful :)

Sean

14george
04-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Got out door rug about same size on awning

JRTJH
04-27-2017, 10:31 AM
We use a woven poly mat (the same type that's sold at WalMart). We use it any time we're parked on dirt, grass, mud, etc. We don't use it when we're parked on gravel or concrete/blacktop. The reason is that folding chair legs will poke through the mat on gravel and will "grind on the mat" on concrete.

Our awning is 16' and the mat is the same length. We try to position the mat so any "runoff" from the edge of the awning will land on the mat, not drip on the dirt alongside the mat, so it won't splash mud onto the mat.

Prior to getting this type of "lightweight/waterproof" mat, we used "astroturf" which was much heavier and always held water/never got dry. With kids tracking into the camper, it was a "necessary evil" back then and is a convenience to make things nicer now.

canesfan
04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I got some indoor/outdoor carpet pieces at Lowes a few years ago when they were on sale after my last patio mat disintegrated. Someone somewhere tipped me off about them. They're somewhere around 3x5 or 4x6 or something and grey. I have 3 of them now. They either roll or fold up, whatever you feel like doing. They clean off easily by either hosing or sweeping or beating. If they are dry I'll hang them on my patio railing and sweep them, if wet hose them off and let them dry. They weigh very little and don't take up much space. I don't really worry about whether they fit the awnings or not (I have 2 now with a small gap between). They are pretty much going to get wet if it rains no matter.

Something like these https://www.lowes.com/pd/EcoRug-Green-Rectangular-Indoor-Outdoor-Needlebond-Area-Rug-Common-6-x-8-Actual-6-ft-W-x-8-ft-L/999992360

sourdough
04-27-2017, 11:24 AM
We use a woven poly mat (the same type that's sold at WalMart). We use it any time we're parked on dirt, grass, mud, etc. We don't use it when we're parked on gravel or concrete/blacktop. The reason is that folding chair legs will poke through the mat on gravel and will "grind on the mat" on concrete.

Our awning is 16' and the mat is the same length. We try to position the mat so any "runoff" from the edge of the awning will land on the mat, not drip on the dirt alongside the mat, so it won't splash mud onto the mat.

Prior to getting this type of "lightweight/waterproof" mat, we used "astroturf" which was much heavier and always held water/never got dry. With kids tracking into the camper, it was a "necessary evil" back then and is a convenience to make things nicer now.

^^^^x2. The woven poly mats are what we use. We like the mat to be about the size of the awning. Easy sweep off or hose off. Very light and easy roll up. We just carry them (we have 2 - one a bit larger than the other) in the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover. We also keep one of the thick, bristly door mats in front of the door to wipe off any extra sand or dirt, covered steps going into the trailer and another couple of rugs inside the door.

chuckster57
04-27-2017, 12:16 PM
In 1989 when I bought my first fiver, it measured 21' and I bought an outdoor carpet (red) 21 feet long at a lumber yard. I called it of course the red carpet. I still have it and just center it on the door.

busterbrown
04-27-2017, 12:22 PM
DO NOT buy outdoor carpeting. As previously mentioned, it will never dry; it will be difficult to clean; and it will never stay clean.

When I bought my Bullet last year, I invested in 1 large (20 ft x 8 ft) polypropylene mat for under th 20 foot awning. Prices vary significantly on these larger sized mats. I found a vendor on eBay who had a variety of colors available for around $69. Doing a search now, pricing is even better on Amazon: Reversible Outdoor Mat (http://a.co/f5h2S7A). Over 40 days camping last year and unfolding it at least that many times, it still looks new. As a bonus, folded up the way it is shipped (accordion style) will allow it to be stowed on the top shelf of your Passport's outdoor kitchen compartment.

chuckster57
04-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Mine is rubber backed, easy to clean when I get home. I'm thinking I may have called it the wrong thing. Not carpeting but more like grass. It was a long time ago...

Jeepshots
04-27-2017, 01:20 PM
You need to expand the poll to include "Not Yet". i had to answer No, since i technically don't have a mat yet. :banghead:

Pull Toy
04-27-2017, 01:59 PM
More and more CGs in New England insist on "Turf Friendly" outdoor mats, so as not to kill their grass during a longer stay.

We use the woven plastic ones, as previously mentioned. Very light, let the water thru, easy to fold and clean. We go 20x10, so the area we do most of our foot traffic in, doesn't track "stuff".

Javi
04-27-2017, 03:31 PM
When we bought or current 5th wheel the dealer gave us $125 credit because we just didn't need all the free junk welcome kit... We finally decided to get a really nice Carefree awing mat... with the credit...

It's still in the original packaging after more than 2 years... I always intend to put it out and then it's time to load up and I still haven't drug it out of the basement... Maybe one day...

cpaulsen
04-27-2017, 04:27 PM
I use outdoor carpet from Lowes.....they cut to fit! Never had a problem drying it........cleans real easy also.

Ken / Claudia
04-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Currently use a poly woven mat if area is dirt. If grass than nothing. Past, I thought the best thing would be the old house carpet. Ok, I learned that was not good at all. Here ground usually gets wet at night and it rains a lot. That carpet got wet and muddy. I rolled it up and next trip it was real smelly. Do not use old house carpet in wet climates.

Double b
04-27-2017, 06:27 PM
We use two woven reversible mats. One for under the awning and a small one for the out door kitchen.

I wonder what people use as stakes. Last year we used Eva's droughts nails and foam roofing washers. Only problem was bending the nails. This year thinking small diameter x 8" long rebar and above washers welded to ends. Anyone have off the shelf ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRTJH
04-27-2017, 06:43 PM
We use Coleman tent stakes. They are nothing more than a 10" nail with a plastic sliding "hook" to hold the mat in place. We use 4, one at each corner, through the grommets. It's easy to remove them with a claw hammer. The current stakes are about 5 or 6 years old. It's pretty hard to destroy a nail, and at about 75 cents each, not a "hard to justify" kind of investment.

BuxCamper
04-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Woven poly mat also. Its about the size of the awning.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

notanlines
04-28-2017, 02:13 AM
We also use the 12 x 16 woven mat from Camping World. Also a heavy fiber mat on which to wipe one's feet before you go inside.

ctbruce
04-28-2017, 03:14 AM
I use the same stakes as JRTJH and link two poly mats together to give more coverage. It's more about less mud and rocks drug in than anything else. We have 2 entries we use and this covers both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
04-28-2017, 04:04 AM
Another vote for the poly mat and Coleman tent stakes. We used to use outdoor carpet, but the poly mat folds up so nice, is light weight, and easy to keep clean. I'll never go back to outdoor carpet.

canesfan
04-28-2017, 06:00 AM
DO NOT buy outdoor carpeting. As previously mentioned, it will never dry; it will be difficult to clean; and it will never stay clean.

When I bought my Bullet last year, I invested in 1 large (20 ft x 8 ft) polypropylene mat for under th 20 foot awning. Prices vary significantly on these larger sized mats. I found a vendor on eBay who had a variety of colors available for around $69. Doing a search now, pricing is even better on Amazon: Reversible Outdoor Mat (http://a.co/f5h2S7A). Over 40 days camping last year and unfolding it at least that many times, it still looks new. As a bonus, folded up the way it is shipped (accordion style) will allow it to be stowed on the top shelf of your Passport's outdoor kitchen compartment.

Everything about the statement is incorrect. It dries quickly, it is VERY easy to clean and after several years still looks like it did new.

Edit - I guess it might depend on the type/brand and how you treat/take care of them.

the sodfather
04-29-2017, 04:34 AM
We got our 2 mats at IKEA. Poly roll up and very light weight. Easy to clean. Cheap. IKEA has lots of stuff that work well for rv's and camping.

cpaulsen
04-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Everything about the statement is incorrect. It dries quickly, it is VERY easy to clean and after several years still looks like it did new.

Edit - I guess it might depend on the type/brand and how you treat/take care of them.
X-2............same here........if it gets soaking wet.....it drys fast. When dry and dirty I use my blower to clean it..........if it is wet....I just hose it off.....have had the same one for 3 years now and still looks like new. We are campground hosts and it is out 365 days a year.

Desert185
04-29-2017, 03:38 PM
We bought this one for boondocking. We like it.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/prest-o-fit-patio-rug-8-x-20-stone-gray/43903

Cqyqte
05-07-2017, 05:00 AM
We have found significantly fewer gnats around the ankles when using our carpet under the awning, plus less tracking dirt up the steps into the TT. :)

GMcKenzie
05-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Another woven mat here. A bit smaller than the awning, but we have a pretty big awning.

Dave W
05-15-2017, 06:29 AM
We have a couple of the 9x12 (or thereabouts) poly mats my wife finds cheap, usually locally at Ocean State's Job Lot. If they last a couple years, we are happy. Also have a bristly shoe-boot cleaner. We had a 'big buck' CW RV version of poly rugs that didn't last any better then the cheapies though the size fit the awning better. I like those Coleman nails and may have to see if I can find some locally. We have been using some u shaped tie downs but can be a pain in the rocky Northeast.

66joej
05-15-2017, 06:38 AM
DaveW Couple of nice looking greeters on the door alarm thread.

15hideout27rbwe
05-23-2017, 06:14 PM
We just took our Hideout out for the first trip this past weekend. Just last week I ordered a 9x18 reversible rv mat on amazon. I picked this one because it's 'swirl' design is almost a perfect match for the graphics on the trailer!

Ours is the trailer on the left of the picture.

gearhead
05-23-2017, 09:26 PM
If you are where you can't use the tent stakes, barbell weights from WalMart work well.

GaryWT
05-25-2017, 09:07 AM
We have a 8X20 foot woven patio carpet. Easy to keep clean. We use it on most trips to help keep things clean. We generally have our picnic table and a couple chairs under the awning on the rug. If the site has crushed stone then we do not see the need to use the rug but that type of site are far and few.

BullyJiggz
06-08-2017, 06:50 PM
I have been using fake grass for years under an 8man tent. I haven't thrown out the tent nor did I throw out the fake grass. I purchased this stuff 10 years ago from Home Depot. I do not care if it gets wet, dirty or otherwise. It's a pain to store, but I sweep it top and bottom, folds or rolls your choice. The attached is the recent maiden voyage of my first TT. I may get another piece that fits perfectly under the awning. As a rule, I do not leave the awning extended overnight or when I leave my TT for more than 30 minutes.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/90b2b1e26d95788626e7835f6b35a1bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk