PDA

View Full Version : Bed Solution

SkiSmuggs
04-27-2017, 05:14 AM
Like most, I replaced my OEM mattress in my 2012 Cougar High Country after trying it for one night. I got a 10" memory foam, but as the years pass I've noticed sag and can feel the bed frame edges. The bed frame is finished 2x4 with a web of nylon straps. The straps have stretched so we roll toward the center plus the frame at 56" x 76" for a 60x80 mattress can be readily felt and limits usable bed space. I am trying to come up with a solution that reduces sag and eliminates feeling the bed frame.
I am thinking about getting 1/2" plywood cut to 58" x 76" to lay on the frame and fasten to the frame with screws. Extending past the sides by 1" gives me more usable space without us running into the plywood. I don't need to extend the length as there is no problem there and it could interfere with the credenza at the foot of the bed when retracted. I am hoping that the webbing will support the plywood as it will spread the weight of our bodies over more surface, reducing sag. The webbing does prevent adding support lumber to the plywood. Looking for input on this solution or better solutions. I am not much of a craftsman.

NorskeBob
04-27-2017, 05:48 AM
On our last RV (CrossRoads CF335SS) I made modifications to the bed - re-enforced the plywood on the top with 2X2s. Added 2x2s and 2x4s to the "box frame. The bed was "falling apart". Was easier for me to fix than rely on the dealer.

SkiSmuggs
04-27-2017, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your input. I would have to cut the webbing off to do that. How did you fasten the 2x2s to the 2x4 frame?

SkiSmuggs
04-27-2017, 06:39 AM
I was looking at this platform base from Ikea. Looks like it might fit over the entire frame and provide a comfortable platform under our mattress.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80278715/#/80278715

notanlines
04-27-2017, 03:04 PM
First and foremost is plywood is not readily available in a 56" width. Secondly, don't go with half inch, you will need at least 5/8, maybe 3/4 to get the best results. Call around to local cabinet shops and marine plywood suppliers and see about 60 inch wide plywood. No, not Home depot or Lowe's.

SkiSmuggs
04-28-2017, 03:00 PM
First and foremost is plywood is not readily available in a 56" width. Secondly, don't go with half inch, you will need at least 5/8, maybe 3/4 to get the best results. Call around to local cabinet shops and marine plywood suppliers and see about 60 inch wide plywood. No, not Home depot or Lowe's.
Yes, I sort of figured of a piece cut the other way to about 58x48 and a second piece for the foot, but wondered about feeling the separation of the two pieces. But I can also check to see if lumber yards have any 5/8" in 60" width. I am giving thought to this Ikea slat base that looks like it may fit over the frame.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80278715/#/80278715

notanlines
04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Can we assume that 60 x 80 is about the size of your memory foam? If it is then this thing is ready to go and probably your answer.

SkiSmuggs
04-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Can we assume that 60 x 80 is about the size of your memory foam? If it is then this thing is ready to go and probably your answer.

Yes, I hope so. For $90 it may be worth a try.

SkiSmuggs
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
After a closer look at the Ikea slat platform, I realized it was just too long. I dropped by my local lumber yard today and asked the guy at the counter if there was any 60" plywood. He said "nope" but the guy next to me said "yes, we have 60x60x3/4" birch." I'll take it! After loading it into the truck I asked if there were any scraps and we found one 67x20 that was also 3/4" birch. $80, but what is a good night of sleep worth? Mission accomplished! It's heavy, though, so I will probably need heavier struts.

notanlines
05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Smuggs, they must have known you were coming. They all but cut the exact size you need. Good on ya......

Frank G
05-01-2017, 02:21 PM
After a closer look at the Ikea slat platform, I realized it was just too long. I dropped by my local lumber yard today and asked the guy at the counter if there was any 60" plywood. He said "nope" but the guy next to me said "yes, we have 60x60x3/4" birch." I'll take it! After loading it into the truck I asked if there were any scraps and we found one 67x20 that was also 3/4" birch. $80, but what is a good night of sleep worth? Mission accomplished! It's heavy, though, so I will probably need heavier struts.

How many ply is that birch? The more plys the stronger it is and able to support more weight without deforming. I think it comes with up to 12 plys. We used to use it in the pattern shop due to its dimensional stability.

Lucky Find :bow:

SkiSmuggs
05-02-2017, 10:43 AM
There are 12 distinct alternating light and dark layers. We are going to have to rely on the trailer springs for rebound. LOL