PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about this

Kmc119
04-25-2017, 03:51 PM
I purchased a 2017 bullet 248rks earlier this year about midway through January, so only a little over 3 months ago. There seems to be some sort of manufactures defect at the seal where the front nose curves up and seals to the roof. The screws have completely popped out of the frame separating the seal almost entirely, along with ripping the caulking allowing water to be introduced to the inside. We noticed the leak during a rain storm and the water was/is leaking through the trim strip on the ceiling of the bedroom. My main concern is that yes the roof is under warranty, but I'm very concerned at this point that the insulation is obviously soaked enough to allow water to leak in through the trim strip, which could only mean that there is most likely moisture in the walls. Is this something that is likely to be covered by warranty? I feel as if to rectify the situation at hand the unit should be replaced with a new one but I highly doubt that would happen, I'm not sure about the cost of repairing something this severe either so not sure if insurance would want to deem it a total loss or not. Sorry for bothering you with this, just looking for a little insight.

I have attached a picture of what it was when I discovered it yesterday.

Thanks,
Kevin

https://imageshack.us/i/pmpuiiL1j

http://imageshack.us/i/pmpuiiL1j

http://imageshack.us/i/pmpuiiL1j

JRTJH
04-25-2017, 06:17 PM
I'd strongly urge you to contact your dealer tomorrow morning. Don't wait until later, this is something that you really need to report ASAP !!! The longer you wait, the longer any water will have to damage the walls/insulation and the more difficult it will be to properly repair the trailer.

It is under warranty, but the factory may (maybe not, who knows) feel that it is your responsibility to inspect and seal the roof seams on a regular basis. The owner's manual is specific on this and it is an exclusion to the warranty, so reporting it as early in your ownership as possible will benefit you if there is any question about responsibility.

Tomorrow morning, first thing, call the dealership. If he is not able to get you in for service immediately, then it would benefit you to cover the trailer with a blue tarp to protect it from further damage. Take pictures of the tarp covering the trailer, you may need to prove that you did take action to prevent added damage.....

Good luck and keep us posted.

PARAPTOR
04-25-2017, 06:43 PM
You got good advice from John, you need to cover to protect from future damage, would also send pictures to dealer ASAP. He may be able to start the approval process from your pictures.

I was lucky I noticed that strip end extending away from the side of the rig. In my case there was a single screw in it and that screw actually sheared off with half still in wood frame. I am sure if I did not catch it and got out on the road the air flow would have lifted that strap and think rubber roof may have went soon after

That strap is what covers the interface of the nose and the roof. After that I always check the ends of that strip making sure it is screwed down

Kmc119
04-26-2017, 09:15 AM
I appreciate all the information. I called the dealership Monday morning which I discovered the leak Sunday night during the downpour we had. They told me we are booked up 2 weeks out and then said "more than likely a quick reseal so we can squeeze you in on Friday" Monday afternoon I went up and looked at the roof and found what had happened. There are at least 8-9 screws that's have pulled out, not sheared off just completely pulled out which ripped the caulking. I went ahead and covered it with a tarp, took videos of the leak, took a picture of the hole, took a picture of the tarp. There is a small crack in the ceiling of the bedroom now which has some small orange wet stuff (insulation?) seeping out from it. I called keystone and they were of absolutely no help. Told me "if we remove the water source then mold can't grow" I asked and what about the wet insulation in the walls and ceiling. Came back with "if it's been compromised they will do whatever they need to do, replace or dry it. I am extremely dissatisfied with how they are handling this because now the press board cabinets will start to swell, the walls will have had moisture which completely degrades the value of the unit. Will update more after I speak with my insurance adjuster this afternoon.

PARAPTOR
04-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the update. If me I would be concerned with the dealer comment :quick seal, will fit you in". Sealing it is one thing, I assume possibly putting on a new strip attaching it and then caulking. I agree with you in asking what is the possible damage done by the water. I would think pulling off that nose and or getting access through the bedroom ceiling to deal with the possible water damage is not going to be a simple (quick) Task. I hope you have a good relationship with the dealer and they do the right thing.

Kmc119
04-26-2017, 09:42 AM
I am bey concerned by the lack of quality in this specific unit, the shower glass leaks, the AC will run on auto for about 30 minutes to an hour then cut off and not cut back on without turning off the thermostat and turning it back on, and now this. I am trying to attach a picture of the roof for y'all to see.

geobet
04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Not sure where you're located but here in the south (Florida) when things behind walls and such get wet, fixing the damage is one thing - identifying, preventing and eliminating mold, especially black mold is a MAJOR concern. You do not want them to seal up your unit and seal in any potential of black mold - really nasty, nasty stuff that you don't want to breathe.

Kmc119
04-26-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm also in the south, about 80 miles north of savannah Georgia, the adjuster should be about 10 minutes away so I will be meeting with them shortly to see what they say.

Thanks all.

I have tried attaching a link to the picture of the roof but it won't let me just yet lol so it's on the way as well.

Tbos
04-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Under warranty, take it back to your dealer now. In the mean time I'd figure out a method to temporarily prevent further water intrusion. I'd also run a dehumidifier in it. You might contact your insurance and ask the question but either way you need to stop the leak and get it dried out. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

JRTJH
04-26-2017, 10:34 AM
The link to the photo of damage that you posted in comment #6 should now be visible. If it is not, please advise me and I'll look into it further. The photo is located here: http://imageshack.us/i/pmpuiiL1j

66joej
04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Thanks for that John. That is a nasty problem. Hope the OP gets satisfaction from the dealer and Keystone. Familiar with black mould having lived on the BC west coast. Not good only way is to disassemble and remove.

JimQ
04-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Hi Kevin: That looks awful! As John and the others have said, take it back to the dealer ASAP so a claim can be initiated. They are the ones who can work with Keystone on repairing or if the damage is extensive enough, a replacement. If you bought from a "good dealer" who will work on your behalf, I would expect them to remove parts of the interior to inspect the degree of damage and document it. Besides the ceiling and walls, the water made it to the floor and can do extensive damage to the light weight composite material in the flooring itself, causing soft spots and black mold. I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue with a new trailer, but hopefully it will be resolved. Please keep us informed of your situation. I hope it works out for you.

sourdough
04-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Wow! That doesn't look good. I'm so sorry for your problem. I hope that your dealer and Keystone step up and do the right thing and get you going quickly.

A word to others; I was at the CW yard about 2 weeks ago looking at new Montana's - I didn't have a salesman. We looked at a few and were walking along the fronts of them checking them out. I was maybe 10 yards in front of them looking at the fronts and happened to look up at the rooflines. One of them looked VERY much like this must look from the ground. The roofline didn't look exactly right and it looked like all the sealant (or something) was just sort of sticking up in bits and chunks all across the front along the seam. Didn't look right to me so got a guy and told him and he said they would look at it.

I was back in today but completely forgot to check on it (checking on mine seems to take up most of my time:(:( ). If they just sealed that thing after it had been sitting no telling how long like that, and it was as bad as this photo, someone is going to get a real "deal". My take away from that is; when looking at a trailer, even a brand new, upper line model, be sure and check the roof seams closely. Finding something like that on a new trailer would be gut wrenching as I know it is to the OP.

CaptnJohn
04-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Sealing will not stop mold from growing. Not only BS, but an outright lie! After about 6 months ion a home we built the kitchen flooded ~ hardwood covered with hotwater from the dishwasher not correctly installed. Warranty guy showed up and scheduled ripping up the flooring, cleaning, sealing, then installing new wood. The wood will dry, but once that underneath gets wet, mold will grow. OOHH ~~ along the coast homes are built on a slab as digging a basement will resort in a pool instead ~~ water table is very high.

notanlines
04-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Yep,I'm with the rest ^^^^^ on this deal. Especially Cap'n John. I believe the dealer has lied to you and I figure if they lied once they will lie again. Be sure to keep us informed of how this turns out.

Kmc119
04-29-2017, 02:38 AM
Update:

The travel trailer has been dropped off at an authorized dealer local to where I keep it parked. Immediately agreed with me and said it needs to go back to the factory. They did thier inspection, took pictures and submitted thier work order along with the pictures they took and videos showing the leak when I discovered it. The service manager said they haven't opened the submission yet (as of 5pm yesterday) and unfortunately keystone has the weekend off so the earliest we will know anything is Monday. But with that being said, the dealer does not know the total cost of the work to be done but has submitted it for $7,000 in labor cost alone.

notanlines
04-29-2017, 03:46 AM
Kevin, even if I had to tow it myself from Georgia to Indiana I'd be glad to have the factory do the repairs. And from the attitude of your local dealer, I'd be glad if they did the repairs. He sounds like he's got his "stuff" together. Thanks for the update.

Kmc119
04-29-2017, 03:49 AM
Kevin, even if I had to tow it myself from Georgia to Indiana I'd be glad to have the factory do the repairs. And from the attitude of your local dealer, I'd be glad if they did the repairs. He sounds like he's got his "stuff" together. Thanks for the update.

It doesn't need to be repaired at this point. It needs to be replaced. This specific one just seems to be a lemon. The furnace didn't work the day we picked it up from camping world in Chattanooga so they ripped it out and put one from another model in it. The shower glass leaks water into the cabinet and out from under the wall into living area, the AC runs on auto only for an hour the shuts off and will not come back on until I power it off and power it back on at the thermostat, and now this major major defect.

66joej
04-29-2017, 04:43 AM
From all the problems you have with your rig it sure qualifies as a lemon.:eek:

chuckster57
04-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Getting a unit replaced is an uphill battle. I've seen a few go back to the factory, but as of yet I haven't seen any replacement TRAILERS. I did see Tiffen take back a "Breeze" with steering/suspension issues after numerous attempts at repair.

sourdough
04-29-2017, 10:03 AM

When I was trying to find a solution for my slide problems I contacted Keystone directly and asked if I could bring my trailer to the factory for factory repairs. I would bring it to them from TX, leave it with them for however long, pay them the going hourly rate and take it back.....all on my dime. Keystone told me that they do not deal with individuals directly and would not let me take it to the factory. They did say that if the DEALER thought it needed to be done at the factory and referred it to them then they would consider taking it in.

If taking it to the factory seems to be an option you should probably mention that to the dealer so that he will know that is another "tool" in the tool kit to get the job done like you want.

Kmc119
04-29-2017, 10:58 AM
When I was trying to find a solution for my slide problems I contacted Keystone directly and asked if I could bring my trailer to the factory for factory repairs. I would bring it to them from TX, leave it with them for however long, pay them the going hourly rate and take it back.....all on my dime. Keystone told me that they do not deal with individuals directly and would not let me take it to the factory. They did say that if the DEALER thought it needed to be done at the factory and referred it to them then they would consider taking it in.

If taking it to the factory seems to be an option you should probably mention that to the dealer so that he will know that is another "tool" in the tool kit to get the job done like you want.

Like I said before, this specific unit is a lemon. I don't want this unit anymore. It came from the factory missing a plumbing cap, but somehow the screws that holds the missing plumbing cap was installed. Keystone jacked this one up completely. They need to replace the unit with a new one to rectify this situation. There has just been too much wrong with it for being a 2017, and only 3 months into its lifetime with me (first owner). 7 grand in labor alone to fix everything, plus new ceiling panels, seam strips, insulation, new front cap, new roof, etc... there are too many problems that have come about because of quality issues/manufacturing flaws on this unit. They can ship my dealer a new one, pick up this one and fix it if they want but the value of my 2017 has degraded by 50% because of thier mistakes from the factory. Even if it was fixed, who would pay what it should be worth knowing all of this went wrong with it.

sourdough
04-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Like I said before, this specific unit is a lemon. I don't want this unit anymore. It came from the factory missing a plumbing cap, but somehow the screws that holds the missing plumbing cap was installed. Keystone jacked this one up completely. They need to replace the unit with a new one to rectify this situation. There has just been too much wrong with it for being a 2017, and only 3 months into its lifetime with me (first owner). 7 grand in labor alone to fix everything, plus new ceiling panels, seam strips, insulation, new front cap, new roof, etc... there are too many problems that have come about because of quality issues/manufacturing flaws on this unit. They can ship my dealer a new one, pick up this one and fix it if they want but the value of my 2017 has degraded by 50% because of thier mistakes from the factory. Even if it was fixed, who would pay what it should be worth knowing all of this went wrong with it.

I'm not holding my breath but I wish you the best.........

Steve S
04-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Even after all the fixes and the on going repairs you're still going to be left with a rebuilt piece of junk that you'll never be proud of.
I personally would fight this one to the bitter end. I've read so many times here how tough that it is to do this in America and it'll end up in a lawsuit but I'd still do it.
Here in Canada my brother in law and my sister bought a very nice trailer that ended up having a pile of issues. The dealer listed the repairs at about 5 grand and instead of repairing everything they within a week called them up and gave them their pick of a new one to take home. I think that's the way that it should always be done. :):)

Kmc119
04-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Even after all the fixes and the on going repairs you're still going to be left with a rebuilt piece of junk that you'll never be proud of.
I personally would fight this one to the bitter end. I've read so many times here how tough that it is to do this in America and it'll end up in a lawsuit but I'd still do it.
Here in Canada my brother in law and my sister bought a very nice trailer that ended up having a pile of issues. The dealer listed the repairs at about 5 grand and instead of repairing everything they within a week called them up and gave them their pick of a new one to take home. I think that's the way that it should always be done. :):)

Well here's to hoping. The dealer I took it to, stated that I will not pick up the unit until it has Been replaced.

chuckster57
04-29-2017, 12:09 PM
I hope you get the outcome your hoping for. Keep us informed.

Bolo4u
04-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Good luck with the outcome. In the interim, research your states lemon laws, if they have any...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro