PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a running or clearance light?

Tbos
04-23-2017, 08:14 AM
I have a broken lens on one of the lights mounted to the frame. Dump station light. I bought a replacement that only has one wire. I have not removed the old one yet but when I looked on Trekwood everything for my TT was 2 wire. Is there a way to replace a 2 wire clearance light with a one wire? Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

chuckster57
04-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Two wire has ground wire. One wire uses the base of the light for ground. Put an eyelet on the ground wire from trailer and the mounting screw will ground it.

hankpage
04-23-2017, 08:32 AM
The frame should be ground. Mounting should supply ground to light .... if not .... follow Chucks advice, he deals with this more often then I.

PARAPTOR
04-23-2017, 08:37 AM
I have a broken lens on one of the lights mounted to the frame. Dump station light. I bought a replacement that only has one wire. I have not removed the old one yet but when I looked on Trekwood everything for my TT was 2 wire. Is there a way to replace a 2 wire clearance light with a one wire? Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

I assume that light does not have a removable lens??

Tbos
04-23-2017, 05:36 PM
The light does have a removable lens. A replacement lens cost more than a replacement light assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PARAPTOR
04-23-2017, 05:49 PM
The light does have a removable lens. A replacement lens cost more than a replacement light assembly.

Do not remember what I paid, but bought a couple so I would have them all my running lights and steps have same light So I would not think they were not much I am pretty tight:banghead:

Tbos
04-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Replacement assembly was $2.38 at Wally World. Can't find the same lenses here at the auto parts stores or Lowes. Checked HD over the weekend. Trekwood has the assembly for $6+. Local RV dealer is 45 min away and closed by the time I get off work. Didn't see them on Amazon either.

JRTJH
04-24-2017, 06:24 PM
etrailer.com is one of the best places to buy parts for electrical systems. They have (had the last time I checked) some of the cheapest pricing and one of the biggest inventories of "odd parts" for lights. So, if you have the number off the lens and the brand of light, check etrailer's website.

chuckster57
04-24-2017, 06:26 PM
etrailer.com is one of the best places to buy parts for electrical systems. They have (had the last time I checked) some of the cheapest pricing and one of the biggest inventories of "odd parts" for lights. So, if you have the number off the lens and the brand of light, check etrailer's website.

Bingo!! There are more than a few lens' by shape, color, with/without reflector center...etc.