PDA

View Full Version : New Auto Leveling System

Mikesr
04-21-2017, 03:25 AM
Anyone using one of the new auto leveling systems being offered by Keystone?
Pros and cons ?

canesfan
04-21-2017, 06:37 AM
Lots of us. Would never not have one again. No cons to date. All pros. Push a button, drink a beer, rig is level.

Canonman
04-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Have it and love it. Ground Control 3.0
Had to have the rear level sensor replaced under warranty but we were still able to use the manual feature from the control panel to level the 5er. Would recommend it on any new unit.

CaptnJohn
04-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Best option ever invented.

Javi
04-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Ground Control 3.0

Best thing since sliced bread... Which by the way started in 1928 :D

Don N.
04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
The LCI auto levelers are great. There a plenty of how-to-use videos on YouTube. Don't get a FW without them!

chuckster57
04-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Lippert components makes a few different auto level systems. Keystone doesn't make them, they just install them. I will agree they are great, including the new system for travel trailers.

It is possible to retrofit a trailer with them, but it isn't cheap. Just the parts are about $3500.00, and then labor. We have installed 3 ground control systems.

Eddie A.
04-21-2017, 08:40 AM
I don't have much to compare it to other than a couple of rentals with the standard scissor jacks before we bought our TT, but we are on our first trip right now and it took 3 minutes and 28 seconds to level once I pushed the button and walked away. Went to let DW and kids know they could go in and get set up....DW was like, "already, are you sure you!?!?" It used to take me at least 10-15 mins so needless to say DW is happy. Happy wife, happy life!!! [emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/aba44c81c58ef1930b23c54f1a823cc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canesfan
04-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Wow, that's a long time. Mine takes under a minute. I guess they are all different. I have the hydraulic 6 point system. Love it. I have a stack of boards if anyone needs any. :D

66joej
04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Ground Control 3.0

Best thing since sliced bread... Which by the way started in 1928 :D

You Americans are so lucky. We never got our sliced bread until 1937.:cool:

Javi
04-21-2017, 09:01 AM
I don't have much to compare it to other than a couple of rentals with the standard scissor jacks before we bought our TT, but we are on our first trip right now and it took 3 minutes and 28 seconds to level once I pushed the button and walked away. Went to let DW and kids know they could go in and get set up....DW was like, "already, are you sure you!?!?" It used to take me at least 10-15 mins so needless to say DW is happy. Happy wife, happy life!!! [emoji6]

Hint... get some 2 X 12's and put one under each pad of those jacks when on bare ground... works a lot better.... not as necessary on concrete...

sourdough
04-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Lippert components makes a few different auto level systems. Keystone doesn't make them, they just install them. I will agree they are great, including the new system for travel trailers.

It is possible to retrofit a trailer with them, but it isn't cheap. Just the parts are about $3500.00, and then labor. We have installed 3 ground control systems.

Chuckster,

You said you've put auto leveling on travel trailers. Have any been bumper pulls? The service manager at our CW said he didn't want to put one on a travel trailer due to concerns about the frame yet I see the auto level on new trailers (bumper) and their frames don't appear to be any different than mine.

We are in the midst of discussing either a new 5th wheel and truck or keeping our 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS. If we keep it I really wanted to add the auto leveling but not if it would be unsafe.

chuckster57
04-21-2017, 09:46 AM
We have only done fivers. Last time I was on the phone to LCI tech support we talked about new products and us techs trying to keep up. That's when ground control for TT's came up.

xcntrk
04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
I love the Lippert ground control system. I have the 6-point on my toy hauler. Soooo much better than the old scissor jacks on the Travel Trailer. No need for power tool, leveling blocks, running around to each corner, manual leveling, blah, blah, blah. Literally push a button and continue doing other unpacking. Few min later the trailer is level. If the ground is soft, I will throw some plastic pads under the landing gear. On uneven surfaces, it will literally lift a tire off the ground to get the unit level (that's with a 6-pt system, not sure if the 4-pt will do that).

Does have some quirks and bugs though. There's a hot key (pair) that will return the front landing gear to "unhitch" height - never seems to get it right, usually still too high. Sometimes my legs won't retract all the way using the "retract all" feature; requiring me to manually draw one in. But aside from a few hiccups, totally awesome system!

GlenY
04-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Best option ever will never have a 5th wheel without one

Eddie A.
04-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Hint... get some 2 X 12's and put one under each pad of those jacks when on bare ground... works a lot better.... not as necessary on concrete...

Thanks for that hint...I had some blocks I. The truck and forgot to put the ones on the rear before I hit the auto level. Didn't realize it until it was all set and the. didn't care to fool with it. I'll get a routine down soon enough I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikesr
04-22-2017, 03:21 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback on the auto leveling systems.
We're soon to get delivered a 2017 Outback that has the BAL 7.0 system. It does sound like it takes some of the stress out of setup and tear down. The rig will also have the In Command system which looks interesting also.
Happy camping just got happier.

thanket
04-22-2017, 06:32 AM
I got these Snap Pads for Christmas and put them on the 5th wheel.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-SnapPad-Permanently-Attached-Leveling/dp/B01J2T8088

Does anyone have any concerns about the automatic leveling system being so close to the ground when they are drawn in. My DW seems to be concerned.

canesfan
04-22-2017, 07:20 AM
I got these Snap Pads for Christmas and put them on the 5th wheel.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-SnapPad-Permanently-Attached-Leveling/dp/B01J2T8088

Does anyone have any concerns about the automatic leveling system being so close to the ground when they are drawn in. My DW seems to be concerned.

Not since they moved them right behind the rear wheels. When they first came out they had them all the way at the back corners. I looked at one and actually said to the sales guy, "I'd rip that off backing into my driveway". I have had no problems with clearance with mine.

chuckster57
04-22-2017, 07:23 AM
We have customers that remove the base for additional clearance when traveling.

NorskeBob
04-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Option on our Avalanche - Six Point Auto Leveling - $3,525.00. Looking forward to using the system.

Cut us some pads out of pressure treated lumber - 6 - 2 X 10's 12" on length

We pick up our 2017 next Friday.

chuckster57
04-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Install at factory is a whole lot easier than doing a retrofit.

silverbullet18
04-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Came on my 33 mls. Loving it!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/b9303cc7ee8a2f20427361e85356937d.jpg

ScotnBev
04-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Love it! No cons. Did have to reset level after the fist year, not sure why it got off but was nose low by several inches. Reset was easy to do, found instructions on line.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jtrevill
04-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Added the 4 point to my 5th Wheel as an aftermarket addition by myself. Quite a pain, but well worth it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

xcntrk
04-27-2017, 05:39 AM
Added the 4 point to my 5th Wheel as an aftermarket addition by myself. Quite a pain, but well worth it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Got any pics or write up by chance? A buddy of mine is looking to do the same..

Stickman
05-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Fresh noob here. (Was that redundant?)
Have the 3.0 Ground Control on our new Sprinter 319MKS. TT Love the setup, but sadly already broken before the trailers maiden voyage this coming weekend. Was getting it ready to hook and go for Friday after work. Set it to auto retract. Waited while it did it's thing....and, BANG. The trailer rocked down on the right front corner. Could glimpse just enough underneath to see that the worm screw broke free of the gear box, with the thrust bearing laying on the other side of the bracket the worm screw passes thru. Oh well, just going to have to do the manual jack thing for the inaugural trip. (Heavy sigh of Scarlett O'Hara exasperation.):censored:

rubenhank
06-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I am a newbie! Really, an not yet purchased. Pick up of a 2018 Cougar XLite 29BHS scheduled in two days. I was wondering... with the TT's, is the frame that much more stouter that it is designed to be able to lift tires off the ground, or is the frame still wimpy and I should make sure that the tires remain on the ground to take some of the load.

Thanks - Chris
--------------------
2018 Cougar XLite 29BHS -- almost
2014 Ram Laramie 5.7 Hemi

raddad73
07-03-2017, 03:02 AM
I have the BAR 7.1 Auto leveling system... Has not worked since day one. I was told that I need to cal Keystone. Key stone directed me to the manufacture. the manufacture told me that a module needed to be adjusted but they didnt know where it was, called key stone and they told me I needed to take apart the closet to find the module. I know there is a code that will put you into programming mode so I dont have to go through all of this... seems crazy.. not a happy camper. So I am manually leveling with the auto level system

ctbruce
07-03-2017, 03:29 AM
I have the BAR 7.1 Auto leveling system... Has not worked since day one. I was told that I need to cal Keystone. Key stone directed me to the manufacture. the manufacture told me that a module needed to be adjusted but they didnt know where it was, called key stone and they told me I needed to take apart the closet to find the module. I know there is a code that will put you into programming mode so I dont have to go through all of this... seems crazy.. not a happy camper. So I am manually leveling with the auto level system
If it's the code, I'd think that came from the manufacturer and not Keystone. If it was me I'd call back and hope to get someone more helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
07-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Your auto correct or spell must have taken over its BAL 7.1. You tube has a video explaining how it works, I didn't watch the whole thing but I would contact BAL for technical support.

roy 24689
07-03-2017, 06:11 AM
hello, i love my jacks also this is my first 5 th wheel. they work sooo sooo easy but I'm haveing problems when them seeping on me. I've had 4 of them replaced in the past 3 years I've had it. anyone else haveing the same thing with them.does anyone clean the shafts on them before they leave?

Barbell
07-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Had two jacks replaced under extended warranty. Both were leaking at top of jack; not around shaft. I use a silicone spray on all shafts when extended. Near salty sea air, every few days; inland once a month or so. Agree the Level-up is best money ever spent.

Mcfeeley
07-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Here's my initial impression with the system. We just purchased in June a new 2018 Cougar travel trailer. Self leveling was a must. Ground Control 3.0. When I went to pick it up after it was prepped, I questioned the service technician if the clearance of the rear pads was right. There may be four, five or six inches off the ground. He said they were right. We drove 20 miles over paved highway with only two right hand turns to my storage lot. On the drive I noticed nothing unusual, but when I had the trailer parked I noticed a very bent rear pad on the right side. The best I can figure is that I hit a pot hole somewhere. The pad is very heavy gauge steel. There is no bending it back easily. I looked on line for a replacement foot. The only one Lippert has is a pinned footpad. The two back jacks do not have a pinned pad. The pad is welded to an inner long sleeve that moves up and down within the outer jack sleeve. No apparent way to remove the foot. Besides, I didn't get this feature to have to monkey around with leveling again. In our storage lot I noticed another new Keystone trailer of about the same size with the identical set up. Rear jacks that are equally low to the ground. I'm no RV engineer but the design just doesn't seem right and looks prone to trouble.

Mcfeeley
07-04-2017, 04:39 PM
I know a local RV service company whose technicians are directly trained by Lippert for the leveling systems. He just services RV's and has no sales. I'll ask him his opinion. He did work for me on my other RV's.

chuckster57
07-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Ground control 3.0 has electric jacks and they do have pinned removable pads. EVERY Unit I have seen and units we have installed it on have removable feet on the back. Just did a ground control 3.0 6 point system and mid and rear had removable pads.

The theory is, if you draw a straight line from the ground at the rear tire to the bottom corner of the trailer, anything above that imaginary line will clear. We have moved the rears up one hole, and many of our customers take the rear pads off for additional clearance. I agree they hang low.

Mcfeeley
07-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Photo's attached.

chuckster57
07-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Those are the first that I've seen. Gonna have to call Lippert in the morning.

Mcfeeley
07-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Chuckster 57

Thank you for your 25+ years of LE service. As well as your current occupational service.

chuckster57
07-05-2017, 09:06 AM
I just talked to LCI tech support. Pads are replaceable, NEVER welded. Hard to tell in pic, if that's a threaded bolt or welded, the installers did something wrong.

canesfan
07-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Does it unscrew by any chance?

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Well, there is a newer Sprinter a couple of spaces from my storage spot and it has the same setup. And there are no holes for pins on the extending inner sleeve. I can stick my finger all the way up the underside center hole on the bottom of the pad and can't tell if there is a nut holding the pad on. Even so, I wasn't able to find a replacement pad on their website and the customer service people had no clue on a replacement part.

Javi
07-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Well, there is a newer Sprinter a couple of spaces from my storage spot and it has the same setup. And there are no holes for pins on the extending inner sleeve. I can stick my finger all the way up the underside center hole on the bottom of the pad and can't tell if there is a nut holding the pad on. Even so, I wasn't able to find a replacement pad on their website and the customer service people had no clue on a replacement part.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC314667.html

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks, but these look like they attach with a center bolt. But my foot pad is hollow up the center. At least for three or four inches. Since it is under warranty, I don't want to go screwing around with it too much, but I would try a socket and extension to see if it is attached up the center. But it still leaves me without a replacement. And the foot pad that Lippert sent me was the pinned one. The front jacks are scissor jacks and are pinned.

Javi
07-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Thanks, but these look like they attach with a center bolt. But my foot pad is hollow up the center. At least for three or four inches. Since it is under warranty, I don't want to go screwing around with it too much, but I would try a socket and extension to see if it is attached up the center. But it still leaves me without a replacement. And the foot pad that Lippert sent me was the pinned one. The front jacks are scissor jacks and are pinned.

Your description doesn't sound like a Ground Control 3... What exactly do you have...

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 10:24 AM
The label on the outside of the jack says Ground Control 3.0. See photos a few comments back. My storage neighbors Sprinter says the same.

Javi
07-05-2017, 10:40 AM
The label on the outside of the jack says Ground Control 3.0. See photos a few comments back. My storage neighbors Sprinter says the same.

I see the label but the pads look like the new Smart Jack pads...

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/img/gen/640_601_TT_Leveling___05.jpg

This is what my Ground Control 3 Jacks look like... https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/img/gen/640_601_ground-control-jacks.jpg

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I see the label but the pads look like the new Smart Jack pads...

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/img/gen/640_601_TT_Leveling___05.jpg

This is what my Ground Control 3 Jacks look like... https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/img/gen/640_601_ground-control-jacks.jpg
The top photo is exactly what they put on. But when I search for "Smart Jack" all I get is the tongue jack. And I think that has a pinned foot pad. I didn't find any reference to rear jacks by that name. Are you familiar with these rear jacks? Because everyone else, including the people I've spoken to at Lippert, and the service people at my dealer, are perplexed.

Javi
07-05-2017, 11:57 AM
The top photo is exactly what they put on. But when I search for "Smart Jack" all I get is the tongue jack. And I think that has a pinned foot pad. I didn't find any reference to rear jacks by that name. Are you familiar with these rear jacks? Because everyone else, including the people I've spoken to at Lippert, and the service people at my dealer, are perplexed.

That jack is from the Ground Control TT (Travel Trailer) LCI website...

Desert185
07-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Photo's attached.

If you (can) replace it, it will probably get bent again. I think I would put a big Crescent wrench on the flange and bend it back. It really doesn't need to be perfect, especially if using a pad of some sort under it. FWIW...

Javi
07-05-2017, 12:17 PM
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Leveling%20and%20Stabilization/Ground_Control_Travel_Trailer_Leveling_System_OEM_ Install_Manual1.pdf

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 01:08 PM
If you (can) replace it, it will probably get bent again. I think I would put a big Crescent wrench on the flange and bend it back. It really doesn't need to be perfect, especially if using a pad of some sort under it. FWIW...
That's what I originally was going to do but I could not find a way to remove the foot pad. And using a hammer on it was going no where with the heavy gauge steel. I'm wondering why they would use such a low riding jack on the rear and not the higher riding folding jacks that they show on their other systems.

Desert185
07-05-2017, 01:15 PM
That's what I originally was going to do but I could not find a way to remove the foot pad. And using a hammer on it was going no where with the heavy gauge steel. I'm wondering why they would use such a low riding jack on the rear and not the higher riding folding jacks that they show on their other systems.

Go to HF and buy the 3-pack, large Crescent wrench set. Lower the leveling pad onto a jack stand or 4x4 for support. Slide the largest Crescent wrench onto the side of the pad that is bent and use a pipe extension on it, if you have one, and put some weight on it until it bends back. If its scratched some and you want to make it pretty, shoot with a rattle can.

Keep Crescent wrench in the trailer for the next time...:cool:

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Maybe it is a sign that the times are too good for the RV industry. This is not my first RV but it is my first Keystone. One of the service managers at my dealer made the comment that the RV industry is not like the automotive industry. The automotive industry will try a new idea out through testing on proving grounds, etc. before putting it out to market. Not necessarily true with the RV industry.

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Go to HF and buy the 3-pack, large Crescent wrench set. Lower the leveling pad onto a jack stand or 4x4 for support. Slide the largest Crescent wrench onto the side of the pad that is bent and use a pipe extension on it, if you have one, and put some weight on it until it bends back. If its scratched some and you want to make it pretty, shoot with a rattle can.

Keep Crescent wrench in the trailer for the next time...:cool:
Thanks, I will try that. My main concern is if this will be an ongoing issue and that the impact will eventually screw up the jack gears.

Eddie A.
07-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Not so sure how I feel about the Ground Control TT on my Cougar. The first two trips out it worked great, but as I feared,it's just another system to have to worry about. Now my right front (RF) jack keeps throwing an error that I can't clear even by attempting to "homing" procedure. Lippert techs keep telling me it sound like a low voltage issue from my batteries, but I'm showing 12.6 volts all around and all the other jacks and everything else that runs off the battery works fine. Gonna be three weeks before I can get it in to be diagnosed and repaired under warranty.....oh well

That said, I have he same rear jacks as you do Mcfeeley and haven't had any issues clearing thing so you may have caught something on the road and not realized it.

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Not so sure how I feel about the Ground Control TT on my Cougar. The first two trips out it worked great, but as I feared,it's just another system to have to worry about. Now my right front (RF) jack keeps throwing an error that I can't clear even by attempting to "homing" procedure. Lippert techs keep telling me it sound like a low voltage issue from my batteries, but I'm showing 12.6 volts all around and all the other jacks and everything else that runs off the battery works fine. Gonna be three weeks before I can get it in to be diagnosed and repaired under warranty.....oh well

That said, I have he same rear jacks as you do Mcfeeley and haven't had any issues clearing thing so you may have caught something on the road and not realized it.

That may be true, but the irony is that I was concerned about it when I picked it up at the dealer. Was reassured by the service technician. Drove it 20 miles on paved highway to my storage lot and then found damage done to it. Must have been a pot hole. There were no curbs on the route. The theory being that it is close enough to the rear wheel to not be a problem. Somehow the theory was disproven in my case. I hope it does not prove to be an ongoing problem. It was a very big buying feature for us. We didn't pay good money for a another hassle.

chuckster57
07-05-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm not here to debate or point fingers, but if you hit a pot hole big enough to do that, I don't believe there is any way you WOULDN'T feel it.

I have a call into LCI tech support to see if there is any difference in foot attachment for 3.0 on a fiver and TT.

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm not here to debate or point fingers, but if you hit a pot hole big enough to do that, I don't believe there is any way you WOULDN'T feel it.

I have a call into LCI tech support to see if there is any difference in foot attachment for 3.0 on a fiver and TT.
Typical comment from a "service Tech". Just can't be wrong. Please!!

Desert185
07-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I will try that. My main concern is if this will be an ongoing issue and that the impact will eventually screw up the jack gears.

Is there a way to adjust the jacks up on the mounting brackets?

chuckster57
07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Typical comment from a "service Tech". Just can't be wrong. Please!!

Typical? No, just asking. As I stated, I am not trying to point a finger, but if you got offended by my question, then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that IMO you would FEEL it if you did indeed hit a pot hole. Been hauling trailers since 1989 so I speak as an RV'er not just a tech.

chuckster57
07-05-2017, 03:29 PM

The typical installation is to use 6 bolts on the jack and secure it to a mounting bracket that has a series of holes to set the height of the jack. Since there is an "override" on the top and bottom, if there is room, one could move them up.

Mcfeeley
07-05-2017, 04:11 PM
That's a good idea. I plan on asking the dealer. My suspicion is that there is not enough reach with the jack for stability. Otherwise, I can't see why they wouldn't have done that to begin with. I did not feel or hear any unusual sound when it occurred. There is a pot hole turning into the drive to my storage space. It is where the gravel meets the asphalt. It's a 90 degree turn so I was going slow. I'm not sure the trailer wheels tracked it, but even if it did the hole is not that deep. My theory is that the rear wheel sunk in the hole, it then abruptly came up on the lip of the asphalt, compressing the suspension upward with the frame still stationary and the foot pad naturally hitting the edge because it is immediately behind the wheel. It may never happen again and I don't plan on taking it off-road, but if this scenario is what happened, it happened on a busy city street. I'm curious as to when they started mounting the jacks this way and how many units there are with this set up.

chuckster57
07-05-2017, 05:18 PM
We have moved the rear jacks up on a few units. It does change the travel, but that's easily overcome by blocks. As I previously stated, it depends on the clearance at the top of the jack.

Mikesr
07-06-2017, 03:43 AM
My 2017 Outback 325BH came with the BAL 7.1 system. Anyone know if this is better then the 7.0 or the Ground Control 3.0 offered by Lippert ?
I noticed the 2 rear leveling jacks seem low like mentioned above. The 4 stabilizer jacks seem to be plenty high.
Anyone have any good tips on using blocks from the jacks or stabilizer pads ?
Thanks
I was the OP of this thread

Mcfeeley
07-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Typical? No, just asking. As I stated, I am not trying to point a finger, but if you got offended by my question, then I am sorry. I stand by my comment that IMO you would FEEL it if you did indeed hit a pot hole. Been hauling trailers since 1989 so I speak as an RV'er not just a tech.
As I stated, I didn't feel it. Driving a diesel truck, an equalizer hitch and a long trailer over a bumpy corner, it would be hard hearing or feeling anything. I also have been RVing a long time. Just never with this setup.

Rumtan
07-07-2017, 06:54 AM
You Americans are so lucky. We never got our sliced bread until 1937.:cool:

And if I am not mistaken it was on a Tuesday.

chuckster57
07-07-2017, 08:30 AM
My 2017 Outback 325BH came with the BAL 7.1 system. Anyone know if this is better then the 7.0 or the Ground Control 3.0 offered by Lippert ?
I noticed the 2 rear leveling jacks seem low like mentioned above. The 4 stabilizer jacks seem to be plenty high.
Anyone have any good tips on using blocks from the jacks or stabilizer pads ?
Thanks
I was the OP of this thread

I like the Lynx Leveler packs. They are plenty strong and you can stack them.

Cardcathrn
07-09-2017, 12:03 PM
I have it and worked great at campground. Where I have problems is in driveway. It is somewhat uneven and slanted uphill to street. I finally put two 1" boards under 3 of the 4 jacks and got the green light. Took forever! I am really new to this whole TT camper thing and during walk through they said no more than 1, 1" board because Jackie have to extend. Broke the rules. Also tires are up off ground. Isn't that a no no?

Farmer_smith
07-09-2017, 02:21 PM
I seem to have the same problem as a few of you, I just bought a 2017 sprinter 312MLS with the 3.0 level system and I have not been super impressed with it. I have set the TT up a few times in my drive way and just spent 10 days camping at a park and it has yet to successfully auto level, it seems if the trailer is even a little off level to start with it won't auto level, but i can manually level. I went to level it today in my gravel driveway and the right front jack broke :censored::bm: The shear pin on the work screw broke at the motor so now that jack just flops. I will be taking it back to my dealer tomorrow so they fix it

raddad73
07-09-2017, 05:31 PM
SO i resolved the the issue of my BAL 7.1 auto level system, not leveling front to rear. In the bedroom closet, there is an access panel in the floor. I found three upholstered covered screws, Once I removed them I was able to grab the carpet and the panel came up. BTW this is also how you get access to Hot water tank. in this compartment I found a control box for the leveling system. the adjustment I made was the op middle screw of the control box. left to raise front right to lower.

This was for a 328RL I have heard that others have found this under the bed..

Now I like the auto level feature.

chuckster57
07-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Thanks for updating. I haven't had the occasion to work on a unit with BAL 7.1, but at least now I know what I'm looking for.

JMB
05-13-2018, 10:58 AM
I am also interested in any information on the new 7.1 BAL system they are putting on the outbacks We are considering a new 266RB, have had a ground control 3.0 but always gunshy of sometyhing new

raddad73
05-14-2018, 05:47 AM
It works like a champ, once you have it dialed in.. Press a button and it auto deploys and levels.

JMB
05-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Thanks looking forward to giving it a try

Maddoggy
07-12-2018, 09:10 PM
We have it on our Cougar 277RLSWE. It works fairly well, but does not have as much travel/lift on the jacks as I would like to have. This system is definitely not built with Mountain Boondocking style camping in mind.

DocP
07-13-2018, 01:57 AM
... I went to level it today in my gravel driveway and the right front jack broke :censored::bm: The shear pin on the work screw broke at the motor so now that jack just flops...

Exact same thing happened to me as well several weeks ago. Waiting to have it replaced under warranty.

bob91yj
07-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Our Outback 330RL came with the BAL7.1 system. We are stationary full timers so I've only used the system a couple of times.

The system works great, my issue was with the dealership we bought the trailer from...they had NO IDEA how the system worked. When I asked for the demonstration of the system they went and got their "top tech"...he didn't even know where the control panel was for the jacks. He kept trying to use the command panel inside the coach to get it to work. During my exterior walk around on the trailer I saw the panel outside on the driver side. Once I showed him the panel, he still couldn't get the system to work. In the end, I was told that the system had not been calibrated, once that was done it worked as designed.

Lesson learned...check the system operation during your PDI!

Maddoggy
07-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Our Outback 330RL came with the BAL7.1 system. We are stationary full timers so I've only used the system a couple of times.

The system works great, my issue was with the dealership we bought the trailer from...they had NO IDEA how the system worked. When I asked for the demonstration of the system they went and got their "top tech"...he didn't even know where the control panel was for the jacks. He kept trying to use the command panel inside the coach to get it to work. During my exterior walk around on the trailer I saw the panel outside on the driver side. Once I showed him the panel, he still couldn't get the system to work. In the end, I was told that the system had not been calibrated, once that was done it worked as designed.

Lesson learned...check the system operation during your PDI!
The leveling system would not "auto level" when we got our unit home. Called the dealer, and they wanted us to bring it back, but a 12 hour drive back to Idaho was out of the question. Called a few dealers, and they were basically worthless for troubleshooting help. I ended up calling Lippert Components (they manufactured the system). Talked with a tech for 10 minutes and repaired the problem. If you have any issues with this system, I highly recommend calling Lippert directly. Super easy to deal with.

Kylemcmahon1
07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
I am also interested in any information on the new 7.1 BAL system they are putting on the outbacks We are considering a new 266RB, have had a ground control 3.0 but always gunshy of sometyhing new

I have had the new bal 7.1 auto level on my 2018 325 bh since dec. have camped several times and taken it on 2000 mile round trip. Had to set the level at the brain the first day at home but after that works great with no problems. Buy and enjoy.

JMB
07-24-2018, 09:42 AM
We took delivery on our Outback 266RB with the new BAL leveling system have not taken a trip yet but going out west in august, have set the trailer up with auto-level a couple times works great so far. Well Pleased, no issues with needing to recalibrate so far Thanks

Sdkls
08-19-2018, 06:27 PM
We have the electric ground control 3.0 on our fiver and love it, but I’ve been wondering...what is the likelihood that one of the electric motors will fail and what would be the manual override if that happens?

Just found the manual and see the manual override is on top. Thanks!

ken56
08-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Love mine also. I have the LCI Ground Control 3.0 on my Laredo 334RE travel trailer. I had to reset the level at first seeing the dealer was not real picky about exactly how level it was when they set it, otherwise its worked great. I find the trailer to be a lot more stable when set up. No shaking and bouncing hardly at all.

JimMach1
08-20-2018, 04:50 PM
We have had 2 auto level systems on Rvs and wouldn’t buy one without it. We were camping one time and I had backed in after another across the road I asked him if he could pull his truck out of the way a little he was already unhooked he said I’d have to wait till he leveled his camper. I jackknifed mine in anyway had it leveled with a beer in hand sitting in my chair watching him block his up. Well worth the money we have releveled the system a few times but as stated before by others lippert very easy to deal with. They also have a website with downloadable directions.

maccam1
08-21-2018, 03:15 AM
Would never have another th without it.that was the first must have on my list when I purchased
Last year

NealBlue
08-21-2018, 05:50 AM
We have had 2 auto level systems on Rvs and wouldn’t buy one without it. We were camping one time and I had backed in after another across the road I asked him if he could pull his truck out of the way a little he was already unhooked he said I’d have to wait till he leveled his camper. I jackknifed mine in anyway had it leveled with a beer in hand sitting in my chair watching him block his up. Well worth the money we have releveled the system a few times but as stated before by others lippert very easy to deal with. They also have a website with downloadable directions.

What a jerk he was!

chuckster57
08-21-2018, 06:51 AM
We have the electric ground control 3.0 on our fiver and love it, but I’ve been wondering...what is the likelihood that one of the electric motors will fail and what would be the manual override if that happens?

Just found the manual and see the manual override is on top. Thanks!

There is another on the bottom. The rear jacks are near impossible to access the top. 5/16”

Javi
08-21-2018, 07:04 AM
There is another on the bottom. The rear jacks are near impossible to access the top. 5/16”

That ain't no joke...:D

champyun
06-03-2019, 08:11 AM
I have had the new bal 7.1 auto level on my 2018 325 bh since dec. have camped several times and taken it on 2000 mile round trip. Had to set the level at the brain the first day at home but after that works great with no problems. Buy and enjoy.

Where was your calibration box located on your 2018?

papachaz
06-03-2019, 01:57 PM

that's about the norm for mine too, which appears to be just like yours, except I have the rack on the back. I LOVE this auto level system. Hit the button, walk over to talk to the neighbor, who asks "what's your camper doing"....love to just smile and say "oh that? it's just leveling itself" :whistling::whistling:

Kylemcmahon1
06-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Where was your calibration box located on your 2018?

Mine was located in the pass through baggage compartment mounted to the ceiling of the compartment.

k94x4
06-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Love it! Would not have an RV without it. We used to p in the reason a lot and it was some nice not getting drenched like I used to with our old TT.

John Fitz
04-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Ok. You guys on a a roll. Here’s what happened to me today. I have a 2018 outback with the RAL 7.3 leveling system. I powered up the TT today to move it. Screen on the leveling unit comes on, but unresponsive. Must have gotten wet. The cover apparently blew open.

So I get all the stabilizers up manually, then try to override the tongue jack manually so I can hook it up to my truck. Well.....not so much. Neither the hex on the bottom of the unit nor the square receptacle next to the display screen will move the until up or down.

So I figure it must be a pin that broke that holds gears to make them mesh. Anyone know how to drop the housing for the BAL 7.3.? You’d think it would be easy, but my dumb *** couldn’t figure it out. TT is stuck right now at a campground I am leaving and I would like to move it. Lol

LHaven
04-21-2020, 04:03 PM
So I get all the stabilizers up manually, then try to override the tongue jack manually so I can hook it up to my truck. Well.....not so much. Neither the hex on the bottom of the unit nor the square receptacle next to the display screen will move the until up or down.

Maybe this is gear that I've never seen before, but aren't there manual up/down switches right on the jack motor head? I have one of those smart jacks that takes orders from the central Lippert unit when ordered, but the manual switches are still right there, front and center.

John Fitz
04-21-2020, 04:25 PM
I wish. Nothing

John Fitz
04-21-2020, 04:26 PM
There is a manual button on the digital interface, but that’s not working.

JMB
04-22-2020, 04:28 AM
Wish I could tell you something. The only time i've had a problem was when the battery was low.

LewisB
04-22-2020, 07:09 AM
Our Raptor came with the LCI Level-Up 6 jack system. I absolutely love it.

I recently had occasion to change a tire on the highway. Used the Level-Up system to raise the tire off the ground - changed the tire in about 10 minutes by myself (age 72). As I was letting the trailer back down on the ground, one of the 4 cops who had stopped to watch says, "Wow, I gotta' get those for my car!".
:cool::D:lol:

John Fitz
04-24-2020, 06:46 AM
Had to go to Tractors Supply and buy a manual screw jack. Took a bottle jack and took the weight off the foot and took the whole jack off qbr out the new one on. Annoying, but I was able to move it.

paulprice
04-26-2020, 05:28 PM

Hey, we just signed papers on a 2020 29bhs cougar. How have you liked it so far. Here is ours. https://www.bullyanrvs.com/product/new-2020-keystone-rv-cougar-half-ton-29bhs-1140184-29 (until they take the link down...) I need to mount a TV in the bedroom. Interested if you did that and how it went.

HBandWB
12-28-2020, 03:38 PM
We had that problem once. When we our rig home we used dry silicone spray on the screw gears and joints and that fixed the problem. Now we give 'em a shot before or after each trip to keep them clean and lubricated.

HBandWB
12-28-2020, 04:36 PM

We own a 2018 Outback 266RB also with BAL 7.1 system and love it! I would never buy another RV without a leveling system. It is just so easy to use. But we have had some minor issues. Other than the stabilizers sticking that one time (routine use of dry silicone spray prevents this issue) we have had leveling issues when the site is too far out of level. The BAL system will tell you when it can't level the trailer because of this. So we still carry boards to get the low side of the trailer up to where the system can do the rest of the leveling. We have gotten pretty good at seeing when this is going to be an issue so that we can get the boards down before we pull in and unhitch. We also noticed that when the ground is soft and we have been camped a few days the trailer can acquire a lot of bounce. We found that if we re-level the trailer it minimizes the bounce again. But be sure to bring in your slide-out(s) beforehand. We also put a board/pad under the stabilizer and leveler feet to keep them out of the dirt and muck. But these are minor issues and considerations and I would not hesitate to buy another RV with this leveling system.