PDA

View Full Version : Storage locks

acspencer
04-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Thinking about changing out the standard storage locks with tubular cam locks. Thinking about the ones in the link below. Has anyone done this and any regrets?

Thanks

http://ch751.com/our-locks/locks/tubular-locks-ch751-replacement.html
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/2255c5dd863cf4abbca5056f4d4a207b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

slow
04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
I did the swap a number of years ago and have no regrets. I did make oversize plastic washers for the backside, drilled out the drain holes at the bottom of the door frame under the key hole and put silicone on the new locks and thumb pull while I was at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
04-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Nice lock. If a bad guy wants in he will destroy the door with a pry bar. But, the lock will still hold.

chuckster57
04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Looking at that barrel lock reminded me of my years as a locksmith. I learned I had an affinity to picking those rather quickly...

BuxCamper
04-18-2017, 03:18 AM
They're not pick proof and I've seen a special picking tool for them. But it will help keep the honest people honest and the others who would be easily deterred by a non-standard lock.

-- Mark

the sodfather
04-18-2017, 03:21 AM
Looking at that barrel lock reminded me of my years as a locksmith. I learned I had an affinity to picking those rather quickly...

As opposed to the everybody and their dog having a CH751 key? Not being a smart a$$...just curious what you think is better?

Dave W
04-18-2017, 04:24 AM
Anything but a lock with a CH751 stamped on it since virtually every towable in any CG has that lock installed at the mfr. as well as the owner having keys, again, for every towable (and quite possibly most anything else in that CG). The only one on ours that still has a CH751 key is the water fill hatch and only because I didn't order the correct length

I found some other keyed cam locks with differnt pattern keys on line since the barrel locks that I installed on our last 5er had a tendency to jam and also make the keys hard to remove.

Make sure you get the exact length needed and you may need to use the existing tang from the original locks and may need to modify the tangs square hole - unfortunately as I found, they aren't necessarily universal. On ours, I had to weld that square hole and file to fit.

chuckster57
04-18-2017, 04:25 AM
Barrel lock may be a "better" lock, but if the maggot wants to get in the compartment he/she will destroy the door.

Dave W
04-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Barrel lock may be a "better" lock, but if the maggot wants to get in the compartment he/she will destroy the door.

But it does keep the casual drugged out dirtbag with dad's trailer compartment CH751 keys out of yours so he moves on to the unaware neighbor's

Nuke
04-18-2017, 05:48 AM
Just a word to the wise on the CH751 lock cylinder... that lock is much more common that just the camping world. I've worked in IT (computers/networks) since the 1980s. I don't keep a special key to multi-million dollar IT storage cabinets - that CH751 key opens those along with the cheapo cabinets as well. Someone at the '751 factory is making a killing! :)

fatcatzzz
04-18-2017, 06:38 AM
I used these on my last Montana http://www.combi-cam.com/. Easy install and combination can be set to what ever you want. Best part, NO KEYS.

cdrcos
04-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Nice lock. If a bad guy wants in he will destroy the door with a pry bar. But, the lock will still hold.
Pry-bar? A decent screwdriver will open most and the damage to the compartment will probably cost more to fix than anything that would be stolen from the RV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

flybouy
04-19-2017, 11:30 AM
I went to rvlocksandmore.com and replaced all the locks (compartments, doors, deadbolts, outside shower) to match one key. This was done for 2 reasons, 1. everyone in the CG doesn't have my compartment key and 2. I was having back issues from the heavy ring of keys weighing me down on one side. O.K. #2 is an exaggeration, but I did get frustrated searching through the keys.