PDA

View Full Version : From Lake Charles,LA to Columbia,MO

fredetteb
04-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Here's the routes that AAA shows. Google Maps has the same selection. I know that US171 and SR6 between Lake Charles and Shreveport isn't RV friendly, but I can use I-49 in Baton Rouge to bypass that. I need information about the rest of the trip. Leaving on April 28th so have some time to review my options.

http://ttp.aaa.com/TripTik/?routeId=8703315#

JRTJH
04-17-2017, 03:30 PM
I think I'd take I10 to 167 up through Alexandria, Ruston to Little Rock, then I-40 up to 65 and head up through Branson to Springfield, then catch I-44 to Lebanon and take 5 up to Camdenton and 54 to Jefferson City and then 63 into Columbia.

We were on that route from Springfield down to Lake Charles last year. The roads were good except around Little Rock. There was a lot of construction there. Hopefully by now that's finished, but who knows.....

fredetteb
04-17-2017, 03:46 PM
I think I'd take I10 to 167 up through Alexandria, Ruston to Little Rock, then I-40 up to 65 and head up through Branson to Springfield, then catch I-44 to Lebanon and take 5 up to Camdenton and 54 to Jefferson City and then 63 into Columbia.

We were on that route from Springfield down to Lake Charles last year. The roads were good except around Little Rock. There was a lot of construction there. Hopefully by now that's finished, but who knows.....

Thanks for the advice. US161 was the route I was thinking of taking but was unsure of the road quality and available of decent fuel stops.

gearhead
04-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Hmm...where is 161?
If you don't have to go to Lake Charles, I wouldn't. Assuming you are westbound on I-10, I would do I-49. I-10 around Lake Charles is usually a rough ride.
If you mean 171, it might be OK. There is a lot of logging around there and that keeps some of the roads rutted. I think most of 171 is 4 lane so you may be able to find a decent lane. I'm usually going across 171 on another road.

fredetteb
04-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Hmm...where is 161?

Typo should be 167.

We took US171 north to Shreveport in our car and it gets narrow and twisty through some of the smaller communities. Definitely not going that way with our 5er.

gearhead
04-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Some of Louisiana's backroads aren't the best. Heck some of the interstates aren't either. Not that they're any worse than Texas.
If you need a lunch or dinner break anywhere near the I-10 & I-49 intersection, Prejeans is usually pretty good. On I-49 just 1 or 2 exits north of I-10 on the east side. I've parked our 5th there.

ctbruce
04-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Columbia is not exactly the camping capitol of Missoura, but they do have the closest White Castles to Kansas City. 54 through Osage Beach is not the quagmire it used to be. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

notanlines
04-19-2017, 02:57 AM
"but they do have the closest White Castles to Kansas City" Now wasn't that spoken just like a true RV'er! Brenda and I would drive miles out of our was for a great bowl of gumbo.....:D

fredetteb
04-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Traveling there because of work, but still looking forward to seeing the area.

Barbell
04-19-2017, 07:43 AM
If the scenic route is what you want the route proposed is fine but as an ex-Missourian, I would stay on US 65 from Springfield to I-70 then East to Columbia.

gearhead
04-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Years ago we did some canoeing in southern Missouri and just general looking around. I hadn't been anywhere else until I started researching ancestors and chased some of them down around Boonville. Pretty nice country. We camped at Arrow Rock S.P., and I would call it OK and go back.
Jim, I'm taking boudin stuffed chicken with us to Richmond VA. for the NASCAR race. I'll throw that on the Old Smokey and get some good smells going. Gumbo is cooked and frozen, ready to go.
DW is scratching off her list and debating which shoes to take. The usual 28 pair I'm sure. LOL
Boogitty boogitty boogitty

fredetteb
04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
If the scenic route is what you want the route proposed is fine but as an ex-Missourian, I would stay on US 65 from Springfield to I-70 then East to Columbia.

I'm all for scenery, but when towing the RV I'd much rather have the ease of interstate driving. Honestly my biggest concern is fuel. With scenic highways many gas stations are too small to handle 40 feet of 5th wheel hanging off the back.