PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater drain

Dcbc82
04-17-2017, 08:31 AM
I have a 2016 Elite 23RB and with the extended season option, the red blue lines extending below the insulation, is that where you drain the water for the fresh water tank and hot water? I need to drain and sanitize the tank for the season. Going out this Wednesday. Do you use some bleach to mix with and let sit for a while to sanitize the system? Thanks

sourdough
04-17-2017, 09:26 AM
The red/blue lines are the hot and cold low point drains. You should have a separate drain for the fresh water tank - mine is white. There are several threads that outline how some of the folks sanitize their systems.

sourdough
04-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Here's a thread discussing sanitizing:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25187&highlight=sanitize

66joej
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
I have a 2016 Elite 23RB and with the extended season option, the red blue lines extending below the insulation, is that where you drain the water for the fresh water tank and hot water? I need to drain and sanitize the tank for the season. Going out this Wednesday. Do you use some bleach to mix with and let sit for a while to sanitize the system? Thanks

I see sourdough answered your question re: red/blue lines. If you mean hot water tank also you must remove the drain plug on the tank itself to drain.

slow
04-17-2017, 11:31 AM
I have a 2015 Elite 23RB.

To drain the hot water tank, I open my COLD (NOT hot) water low point drain and I open the pressure relief valve on my Atwood water heater. It is not intuitive, but it works since the cold water inlet to the tank is at the bottom of the tank and the pressure relief valve is at the top of the tank. It actually drains more water out of the hot water tank using this method than by removing the hot water tank's drain plug which sits higher in the tank.

I also replaced the low point drain caps with valves to make it easier to drain after each camping trip.

canesfan
04-17-2017, 11:48 AM

To drain the hot water tank, I open my COLD (NOT hot) water low point drain and I open the pressure relief valve on my Atwood water heater. It is not intuitive, but it works since the cold water inlet to the tank is at the bottom of the tank and the pressure relief valve is at the top of the tank. It actually drains more water out of the hot water tank using this method than by removing the hot water tank's drain plug which sits higher in the tank.

I also replaced the low point drain caps with valves to make it easier to drain after each camping trip.

I NEVER would have thought of that. After all these years... :bow:

66joej
04-17-2017, 12:16 PM
^ Me either. Good tip. Thanks.

BuxCamper
04-17-2017, 05:18 PM
I would drain and bypass the hot water heater when sanitizing. No need to fill it with bleach water. When sitting cooking hot water it's getting sanitized naturally.

The second picture here is what I did to make draining easier.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28121

-- Mark

slow
04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
BTW: the drain for your fresh water tank should be on the driver's side under the water pump next to the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wmyers
10-13-2018, 05:24 PM
I'm seeing this is an old thread but hopefully it's still active.
I have a Passport 2018 2670BH. I see the red and blue low point line hanging down. They are near the gray and black tank valves. I absolutely can not find any other valve to drain the fresh water tank.
Can someone post a photo or help me find the drain please.

thanks!!!

ctbruce
10-14-2018, 04:13 AM
I'm seeing this is an old thread but hopefully it's still active.
I have a Passport 2018 2670BH. I see the red and blue low point line hanging down. They are near the gray and black tank valves. I absolutely can not find any other valve to drain the fresh water tank.
Can someone post a photo or help me find the drain please.

thanks!!!Ok guys and gals, can someone throw Wynn a bone here?

jsmith948
10-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Where is your FW tank? The drain will be under the tank and is simply a 1/2" PEX line with a 1/4 turn valve or a cap on the end. If you don't see a line, look at the Coroplast under the tank. There may be a hole with some remnants of expanding foam around it. Perhaps the drain line has slipped up inside the Coroplast. It seems unlikely that the drain line has fallen off as that would allow the tank to drain. The drain line has to be there somewhere under the tank unless the factory failed to punch a hole for the drain line and it is hidden in the underbelly?

Canonman
10-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Our previous TT had this great dump valve for the FW tank. Keystone uses a 1/2" pex line with a white cap. Ours is located towards the rear about 4' inboard of the rear bumper and 3' in from the drivers side. It's a bit of a PITA to get to and is slow to drain but it's there.

wmyers
10-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Thanks for picking up on this thread!
I appreciate any help! It's my first TT, so I'm learning this on the fly.

To answer, "where is your fresh water tank", I'm going to make the assumption that it is just below the fresh water fill up. That's a total guess though.

The fill up is on the driver side, maybe 8' from the front. In front of the water heater, slide etc.

There is no fresh water drain that I can find near the low water drains. Those are on the back side of the slide approx 6' from the rear, right beside the gray and black drains.

It's sounding like the fresh water drain will not be near those. It should be much closer toward the front, under the fresh water fill up?????

I will crawl under it again today and double check, but I'm starting to suspect that it got covered up from the factory.

JRTJH
10-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Don't forget to look on the outside edges of the frame rails where there is no Coroplast. Often, when the fresh water tank is above the floor, the drain is on the lower edge of the tank side and is routed to the bottom of the trailer OUTSIDE the frame rails, in the area where the outriggers are welded to the frame.

Canonman
10-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Our FW drain is not near the low point drains. Like your's, our LP drains are by the dump valve. OUr FW tank and fill line is in the rear of the coach and the drain is right under it.
Hope the factory didn't cover it up but hopefully the dealer has other units of your model that can example the drain location.

wmyers
10-14-2018, 04:53 PM
I found it!

It was closer to the front than I would have thought. It was pretty much in line with the FW fill up, about 4' in from the frame. But there it was.... blue pex with a black cap.
I just wasn't looking far enough forward to notice it.

So thanks for all the help guys!!!!
I'm learning a lot from these forums.

flybouy
10-17-2018, 04:39 AM

Was just reading back thru this old posts. When I drain my hwh (Suburban) I turn on the water and open a hot water faucet for a brief time. then turn water supply off, with in tank cold, open pressure relief valve, then remove drain/anode rod. In my experience this helps to suspend the sediments in the hwh and flushes the tank, removing most of the sediments. YMMV

BuxCamper
10-20-2018, 03:22 AM
I use my fresh water fill tube adapter to help squirt in the drain hole and flush out the tank. You can get a specific adapter to do this but water fill tube works well enough.

Crystal
06-30-2020, 10:46 AM
I found mine to be just a white turn valve behind the driver side rear tire. It was hard to find because of the over spray of insulation around it. Had to break a little of the insulation off to be able to turn the plastic valve. 2020 outback TT

Getn off
07-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Just an observation...
In my Keystone, the FW drain was a fantastic 2.5” pvc pipe that would drain very quick.
My new Cyclone has a tiny (1/2”?) pex with a small valve. Took about 30 mins to drain the full tank today!
And yes, I had a hell of a time finding it because I was looking for a large pvc drain!
Troy

JRTJH
07-03-2020, 06:50 AM
At least it has a fresh water tank drain. Some older units don't have a drain at all and you have to run the water pump through the kitchen faucet to dump the FW tank.

Consider yourself "lucky" not to have one of those models :cool:

philbtv
05-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Just bought a used 2018 279RKSWE. The dealer filled the tank full. Don’t really need to haul that weight down the highway. I couldn't find the fresh water tank drain. The online manual is no help. Canonman's perfect description and location helped me find what I couldn’t for 45 minutes. Thanks a million!

skids
05-05-2021, 05:24 AM

I rinse everything to start with including the red and blue low point drains.

Followed by sanitizing everything including the water heater with 1/4 cup of bleach containing hyper chlorate per 15 gallons of tank capacity into the fresh water tank (3/4 cup for my 43 gal system) and I run it through all of the lines (including low points) and let it sit for say 6 hrs.

Then I rinse everything well including low points. By “rinse” I mean fill the fresh tank and run water through the lines. Completely fill the water heater and then continue running water through it to rinse it. Let this unchlorinated water sit to try and dissolve residual Clorox.

Then drain and fill the tank to desired level.

I know that is a lot of water but this has worked for me.

JRTJH
05-05-2021, 06:45 AM
I know that is a lot of water but this has worked for me.

I do almost the same procedure.... When I was in residency, one of the old orthopods that I worked with had a saying, "The solution to pollution is dilution".... That's as true in disinfecting a trailer plumbing system as it is in surgery...

It does take a lot of water to properly sanitize the fresh water system, but the end result is a camping trip where nobody "force fills the black tank"... Well worth the few gallons of readily available water at home to make the trailer safe for the family to use.