PDA

View Full Version : Earliest trip ever!

wbdvt
04-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Well we will be making our earliest trip out in the camper ever! We leave April 26 to go to Ashville, NC from Rutland, VT. First stop will be the KOA in Staunton, VA for the night, then Mama Gertie's in Ashville for a week, then James River State Park between Lynchburg and Charlottesville for a few days then Artillery Ridge in Gettysburg then home.

Can't wait! So last weekend the weather was decent and pulled the cover off and went inside. No mice!!!

This weekend:
washed roof, sides and awning
Treated slide seals
Jacked and adjusted brakes while greasing bearings
Replaced failed LED strip under awning
Verified operation of fridge

Left to do:
Sanitize water system
Check water system for leaks
Replace smoke detector batteries
Clean and organize storage area
Verify operation of TV antenna, TV, stereo, gas stove, hot water heater
Load up supplies and clothing

Am I forgetting anything in my excitement?

Tbos
04-16-2017, 02:46 PM
You didn't mention inspecting the tires and adjusting the pressure. You seem to have hit most the other stuff. Explored Gettysburg by bicycle a couple years ago. It was great. Have a fun and safe trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalky

busterbrown
04-16-2017, 02:49 PM
ADD:

Check the date and condition of trailer tires (including the spare). Make sure they are properly inflated to the max PSI as stated on the tire. Replace if you have any doubt as a catastrophic failure on the highway will turn your trip upside down!

Good luck and safe travels!

wbdvt
04-17-2017, 02:28 AM
Forgot to mention the tire part. Checked pressure in all tires including spare. Had to add a couple pounds to the tires and 25 lbs to the spare.
Been meaning to check date codes.

wbdvt
04-17-2017, 03:24 AM
just checked date codes: 2613. So I have a year left on them and will plan a replacement next year.

canesfan
04-17-2017, 05:33 AM
just checked date codes: 2613. So I have a year left on them and will plan a replacement next year.

Ugh. Are they the original tires that came on the trailer? If so I'd be replacing them NOW, before your trip. Just replaced my 3 year old tires with less than 3000 miles on them and 2 were bad. One I was lucky to have made it to the tire shop.

Vermont to Staunton VA in one day. Either you really like to drive or... :D Even when I was younger and liked to drive that would be a stretch for me.

Think I just did my earliest trip ever, first week of March when the SP campground opened. It was trying to be Spring already and I felt the need to get away for a few days. It was worth it.

Have fun and safe travels.

wbdvt
04-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Well, I inspected the tires and they still look in good shape. I keep them covered when not in use and if in CG for extended period, I put the covers on.

I have done that drive in the past, so it is doable for me.

busterbrown
04-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Ugh. Are they the original tires that came on the trailer? If so I'd be replacing them NOW, before your trip.

I completely agree. The OP's tires are approaching 4 years old. OEM brands are notorious around this age to fail no matter the condition of the exterior of the tire. Obviously, cracking, bulges, and bubbles are indicators for replacement. But damage to internal tire structures will never give spell out an appropriate time for replacement.

I replaced my OEM tires within 12 months of purchasing my trailer. Even the highly rated Carlisle tires (with 25% more load carrying reserve) will stay mounted for no more than 3 seasons. Don't want the hassle (and headache) of an insurance claim.

CrazyCain
04-17-2017, 12:26 PM
"greasing bearings with the EZ lube zerk fitting???

JRTJH
04-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Well, I inspected the tires and they still look in good shape. I keep them covered when not in use and if in CG for extended period, I put the covers on.

Tread separation is not visible when the tire is mounted and inflated, but it is the "kiss of death" for a tire at speed. Tires can be inspected "on the wheel" for any cuts, wear, cracking, but tread separation (the cause of most tire failure) can only be identified with the tire removed from the wheel. The tread separation can only be seen when looking at the inside of the tire.

Here's a picture of what I found on two of my "Chinese maypops" last year when I replaced them. And, as a side note, they were not yet 3 years old.

Don't be "lulled" into believing your tires are "good to go" because they aren't yet 5 years old.

busterbrown
04-17-2017, 03:38 PM
↑↑↑ Exactly ↑↑↑

John's pics aren't sensational internet threats. They represent "real world" towing experiences inherent with ST tires. Certain brands can mitigate failure as long as age, load ratings, and inflation pressures are respected.

CaptnJohn
04-17-2017, 08:18 PM
OEM 4 year old tires.... my OEM tires were gone in less than 4 days and less than 50 miles...

BuxCamper
04-18-2017, 04:08 AM
The OEM tires on my last TT lasted one season. At the start of the next season I noticed some deep cracks in the sidewalls especially by the raised letters. I ordered Goodyear's and then cycled one rim at a time through the tire dealership. I think I hitched up and let the pick-up chock the camper as I removed and replaced each tire.

-- Mark

sourdough
04-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Last spring before we left for FL I did a visual inspection of my tires; they looked new. I had the owner of the tire store look at them and he agreed. On departure morning we were all excited, beautiful day, great trip planned, about to see the grandgirls etc. Driving down the highway at about 63 mph. I heard a pop, buzzing sounds and saw "white stuff" blowing out behind the trailer. I pulled it down in short order and checked it out. Right rear completely disintegrated and the underside of the trailer shredded. Two weeks later after CW was able to work out the insurance and get the parts we were able to leave again.

What I found upon inspection of the tire was that the tread had completely peeled off the carcass of the tire - like it had been glued on and the glue failed. This tire had looked brand new 55 miles before and was 2 years old. Just a word to the wise.

rwmurphy15
04-18-2017, 03:25 PM
We're going to Mama Gertie's in June for almost a week. Hard to get reservation at this campground at least for a 35 footer