PDA

View Full Version : Change in TV's

linux3
04-16-2017, 08:48 AM
I traded in my Ford Explorer Sport on a Chevy Silverado 1500.
This Thursday I will be taking my TT home from it's winter indoor storage.

I'm not really sure what if any adjustments I will have to make.
Just a quick measurement, bottom of hitch to hitch at trade in time shows the Chevy is about 1" taller.
The Explorer Sport has a very hard suspension, like a rock, the truck has a bit of play before it really starts loading.
I'm hoping I don't have to make any changes but what's the chances?
It's a Husky Centerline TS LL/SW setup and there is no way to move the ball and bar bracket up or down.
Anyone have any experience making this kind of change?

Tbos
04-16-2017, 01:44 PM
I've swapped between several trucks and have had to make minor changes but not any big ones. Just take your tools and the hitch manual with you and if you need to make changes go ahead. Assuming your truck has P series tires I recommend making sure they are at full pressure for towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ctbruce
04-16-2017, 04:07 PM
An impact driver and sockets makes for quicker adjustments. You'll need access to electric or a generator. Make to take a tape measure also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Leatherman
04-17-2017, 04:28 AM
I just changed trailers w/same TV. Before going to the dealer to pick it up I just brought everything that I would need for a new installation of the WDH since I knew it would not be the same, including a printed out copy of the instructions from BlueOx.

linux3
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
It looks like the frame brackets are the only adjustment and the lift tool is all that's needed to adjust them.

ctbruce
04-18-2017, 02:27 AM
Sounds like you're ready. I'm not familiar with you're hitch so not much help. Is the head not adjustable for height on the shank?

linux3
04-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Sounds like you're ready. I'm not familiar with you're hitch so not much help. Is the head not adjustable for height on the shank?

Nope, it isn't. I can adjust the tilt of the ball but that's it.

linux3
04-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Without making any adjustments I connected up my TT to the Chevy using my Husky Centerline TS hitch. Drove around the block to settle things and here's the measurements.

Measuring the trailer frame rails the front is about 1.125" lower than the back.
Measuring the truck fenders the back is about 1.25" higher than the front.

I'm thinking I should move the spring bar brackets up one hole. They are about 1" apart.
This should raise the front of the TT 1/2" and MAYBE lower the back of the truck. As for the back of the truck being higher than the front. I'm thinking that's caused by so little load on the hitch. Factory tongue weight was 390 lbs. Add dual tanks and battery and "stuff" in the basement and I don't think I'm much over 500 lbs. A very light load for the truck which has the factory tow package.

Maybe I should just leave things alone? I would think I want the front of the trailer to be a little lower than the back.

I also ordered a power jack. This cranking is getting to me.

canesfan
04-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Without making any adjustments I connected up my TT to the Chevy using my Husky Centerline TS hitch. Drove around the block to settle things and here's the measurements.

Measuring the trailer frame rails the front is about 1.125" lower than the back.
Measuring the truck fenders the back is about 1.25" higher than the front.

I'm thinking I should move the spring bar brackets up one hole. They are about 1" apart.
This should raise the front of the TT 1/2" and MAYBE lower the back of the truck. As for the back of the truck being higher than the front. I'm thinking that's caused by so little load on the hitch. Factory tongue weight was 390 lbs. Add dual tanks and battery and "stuff" in the basement and I don't think I'm much over 500 lbs. A very light load for the truck which has the factory tow package.

Maybe I should just leave things alone? I would think I want the front of the trailer to be a little lower than the back.

I also ordered a power jack. This cranking is getting to me.

Haven't had a TT for quite a while, but as I remember you wanted it level front to back. I spent the good part of a day when I got a new truck adjusting the hitch and it sure made a difference in how it towed. Unless things have changed over the years...

sourdough
04-21-2017, 10:02 AM
IMO you want the trailer level to a little down in the front. Mine is slightly down and won't get level. If I move it up one more notch then it's slightly high in the nose so it may be the best you can do.

And yes, electric tongue jack is the way to go. Might take an hour to put on but eliminates the hassle of manually cranking.